Academy Post-COVID

A few nuggets of wisdom for you.
-If you do travel, don't post anything on social media showing you are out of town.
- stop studying now, you will have plenty of time in OKC to do that, and you don't want to memorize the wrong info.
- don't spend all day after class studying, at the end of your time studying ,just relax do something to take your mind off classwork.
- if you like animals I hear there is a great zoo about an hour away from the MMAC.
The Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park
Nah that Jeff Lowe is the devil. Fuck Carol Baskin too

A few nuggets of wisdom for you.
-If you do travel, don't post anything on social media showing you are out of town.
- stop studying now, you will have plenty of time in OKC to do that, and you don't want to memorize the wrong info.
- don't spend all day after class studying, at the end of your time studying ,just relax do something to take your mind off classwork.
- if you like animals I hear there is a great zoo about an hour away from the MMAC.
The Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park
After watching tiger king, it might actually be worth the visit (later in academy when covid dies down)

Oh I don't plan on going requesting annual lol, I plan on hoarding leave like they're lucky charms. I plan to visit for a day and fly out late night/early morning for a day on the weekend.
I wouldn't be able to do a week lol.
Just don't think I'd get much studying done during that weekend due to travel and whatnot.
Don’t risk it. We had a girl do that exact same thing and almost get fired Bc her flight back was delayed Bc of massive ice storms in Houston. She arrived with like 30 mins left in the day on Monday, had she missed it entirely she would have been fired.

If anything, have your family visit you

Don’t risk it. We had a girl do that exact same thing and almost get fired Bc her flight back was delayed Bc of massive ice storms in Houston. She arrived with like 30 mins left in the day on Monday, had she missed it entirely she would have been fired.

I agree with this. But OP seems convinced they can make it work. My personal advice is still to just suck it up for the couple months and bunker down in OKC and do your thing. It’ll be over before you know it. Even with COVID going on I’m sure students are still going out and about, even if it’s studying at Kim’s or other housing places. After all, you’re still seeing and around all those people at the academy anyways.

I agree with this. But OP seems convinced they can make it work. My personal advice is still to just suck it up for the couple months and bunker down in OKC and do your thing. It’ll be over before you know it. Even with COVID going on I’m sure students are still going out and about, even if it’s studying at Kim’s or other housing places. After all, you’re still seeing and around all those people at the academy anyways.
I'll definitely just have my family visit then (if COVID dies down and it gets a little safer). Thanks for the advice guys!

If you know you can get back on time then do whatever your career can stand.

It's been a while so I'm not the best one to ask about material but I'll say this about studying before hand. If you want to study before you get there then study before you get there. The map is a good thing. But beyond that, you have to be really careful with what you are studying. The academy does ATC the academy way which is a little different than the real world.

You have to learn the academy way. Make sure, if you are studying, that you are learning how to do things their way and their way only. A guy in my class always liked to say, "That's not how they do it at ZNY!" Our instructor told him, "If you don't do it the OKC way then you will never do it the ZNY way." The message was never received by him.

My wife visited me when she was in the academy in CA for Christmas and it went fine. I agree use extreme caution and try and leave a day extra on the coming back to OKC side, but I wouldn't say its like an impossible cardinal sin.

Why wouldn’t she just bang out sick

I flew from OKC to Florida on a 3 day for my son's birthday. The academy doesn't give a shit what you do once your shift is over (as long as you are getting in trouble). I flew out as soon as I got out of class Friday and headed back early Monday just to make sure I would be ok even if my flight got delayed or cancelled I could rent a car and haul ass back. It also worked out that i was going off of days on Friday into nights after the holiday weekend, so I got about an extra 24 hours. If you do end up having to be late or something you can always call in "sick", just make sure there isn't any posts about you being out of town.

Did you do online basics already? Where did you get the map or materials to study? I would be careful because the academy changes information fairly often depending on FAA rules or guidance. As far as once you get there, study as much as you need or don't need. Just make sure if you are lacking in something to ask for help from those who seem to grasp it. If that means asking your instructor who they think would be good to study with, do it. They will know who is keeping up and who isn't.

Also, it seems you are flying, but I would recommend, if you can, driving your POV out there. I would hate to be stuck out there having to rely on others for rides or spending money on uber/lyft all the damn time depending on how much you go out.

I wonder if there will be a big difference in pass rates at the academy now that it’s reopened. It seemed like starting the class after the government shut down in 2013 or whenever that was pass rates went dramatically down and people said the “raised the standards”. I doubt that would happen again though, pass rates are already kind of low and the FAA might think it really needs people now.

I wonder if there will be a big difference in pass rates at the academy now that it’s reopened. It seemed like starting the class after the government shut down in 2013 or whenever that was pass rates went dramatically down and people said the “raised the standards”. I doubt that would happen again though, pass rates are already kind of low and the FAA might think it really needs people now.
The pass rates were going up the smaller the classes got though. Someone already posted on here about them splitting classes and making them smaller, but I don't know how many students that puts into a class now.

I thought the pas rates were like 90% right after the shutdown

I flew from OKC to Florida on a 3 day for my son's birthday. The academy doesn't give a shit what you do once your shift is over (as long as you are getting in trouble). I flew out as soon as I got out of class Friday and headed back early Monday just to make sure I would be ok even if my flight got delayed or cancelled I could rent a car and haul ass back. It also worked out that i was going off of days on Friday into nights after the holiday weekend, so I got about an extra 24 hours. If you do end up having to be late or something you can always call in "sick", just make sure there isn't any posts about you being out of town.

Did you do online basics already? Where did you get the map or materials to study? I would be careful because the academy changes information fairly often depending on FAA rules or guidance. As far as once you get there, study as much as you need or don't need. Just make sure if you are lacking in something to ask for help from those who seem to grasp it. If that means asking your instructor who they think would be good to study with, do it. They will know who is keeping up and who isn't.

Also, it seems you are flying, but I would recommend, if you can, driving your POV out there. I would hate to be stuck out there having to rely on others for rides or spending money on uber/lyft all the damn time depending on how much you go out.

Did online basics and we were given some enroute materials. Materials we have are direct from the academy so I'm not worried about them being inaccurate.

I don't own a vehicle, I live in a city with good public transportation so I never needed one sadly. Will probably have to uber or order groceries online.

The pass rates were going up the smaller the classes got though. Someone already posted on here about them splitting classes and making them smaller, but I don't know how many students that puts into a class now.
8 in a class now.

I thought the pas rates were like 90% right after the shutdown
From all I read back in the day pass rates were 90% during the first hiring blitz in 2008-2010. Then they declined a bit, then after the shut down and redesigned grading they fell off a cliff to about 60% enroute passing and 70% terminal. Last few years they rose slightly from a that based on what you read on the forums.

From all I read back in the day pass rates were 90% during the first hiring blitz in 2008-2010. Then they declined a bit, then after the shut down and redesigned grading they fell off a cliff to about 60% enroute passing and 70% terminal. Last few years they rose slightly from a that based on what you read on the forums.
When I went it was a fucking bloodbath. Watched classes before us leave with 4/18 through.

Did online basics and we were given some enroute materials. Materials we have are direct from the academy so I'm not worried about them being inaccurate.

I don't own a vehicle, I live in a city with good public transportation so I never needed one sadly. Will probably have to uber or order groceries online.

8 in a class now.
Where are you going to be living? Some of the housing options offer money/food delivery service as an incentive. At least they did before all of this, not sure about now once the academy shut down.

I would make good friends with someone that has a vehicle and similar interests as you then. OKC has some things to do depending on what you're into, but they aren't always very close to each other which can lead to spending a lot on uber/lyft.

Where are you going to be living? Some of the housing options offer money/food delivery service as an incentive. At least they did before all of this, not sure about now once the academy shut down.

I would make good friends with someone that has a vehicle and similar interests as you then. OKC has some things to do depending on what you're into, but they aren't always very close to each other which can lead to spending a lot on uber/lyft.
Right now Kim's Place is my priority pick so I'm not too worried about my ride situation tbh

Back
Top Bottom