Academy Post-COVID

I'm not sure if anyone has discussed it with you or you've seen it but it's generally advised by those who have passed the academy to leave family at home. You'll need the time to study, relax, de-stress.

I'm not going to spend 3 months away from my wife and child, period. I will still have plenty of study time, and my time with them helps me de-stress. Plus it makes a little more financial sense for us as well. So unfortunately, I need a place that can accommodate that. Peachtree is only $5 a day to have an additional resident, so they seem like my best option, but I cannot for the life of me find if they allow pets.

I'm not going to spend 3 months away from my wife and child, period. I will still have plenty of study time, and my time with them helps me de-stress. Plus it makes a little more financial sense for us as well. So unfortunately, I need a place that can accommodate that. Peachtree is only $5 a day to have an additional resident, so they seem like my best option, but I cannot for the life of me find if they allow pets.

I feel you, many of us were in the same boat, just a general warning. When I went it was still a 50% wash rate in the terminal side.

I feel you, many of us were in the same boat, just a general warning. When I went it was still a 50% wash rate in the terminal side.
We are still going to be paying for our place where we are moving from, as it is actually cheaper to pay rent instead of moving all of our stuff twice, so we will have a place to go back to if I wash out.

We are still going to be paying for our place where we are moving from, as it is actually cheaper to pay rent instead of moving all of our stuff twice, so we will have a place to go back to if I wash out.

I feel you, I was paying a 3k mortgage and took a massive pay cut, still left the dogs and family at home since I knew I wanted to focus otherwise I'd continue my corporate middle management gig and eventually tongue punch a shotgun choke.

If you understand it, you will pass regardless of how much you study. I was the only one in my class that brought my spouse and did perfectly fine with studying at most 1 hour a day at home. And if your brain can’t grasp the logic of just following rules, then you won’t pass regardless of how much you study. There were plenty of examples of that in my class. We stayed at Anatole and it was great but I think the system worked a bit different when I was there.

If you understand it, you will pass regardless of how much you study. I was the only one in my class that brought my spouse and did perfectly fine with studying at most 1 hour a day at home. And if your brain can’t grasp the logic of just following rules, then you won’t pass regardless of how much you study. There were plenty of examples of that in my class. We stayed at Anatole and it was great but I think the system worked a bit different when I was there.
I think this is bad advice. There are definitely people who just get it and people who will never get it but there are definitely a lot of people in the middle that have to work to get to a place where they feel comfortable. Most people are willing to put in the work and are good enough to pass but they blow it because of nerves or something else.

My class had a guy who never stood a chance and it showed when he set the record for the worst local run ever(that’s what they told us). And we also had a couple guys that definitely were good enough to pass and fucked up something stupid and it snowballed. Then we had a guy who I didn’t think was good enough and he found a way to pass(washed in the tower at his facility).

Edit: fixed a typo and added a thought.

I think this is bad advice. There are definitely people who just get it and people who will never get it but there are definitely a lot of people in the middle that have to work to get to a place where they feel comfortable. Most people are willing to put in the work and are good enough to pass but they blow it because of nerves or something else.

My class had a guy who never stood a chance and it showed when he set the record for the worst local run ever(that’s what they told us). And we also had a couple guys that definitely were good enough to pass and fucked up something stupid and it snowballed. Then we had a guy who I didn’t think was good enough and he found a way to pass(washed in the tower at his facility).

Edit: fixed a typo and added a thought.

Nah mod. The people who get it pass regardless. The rest are toss ups. Those who get it almost always pass. Those who don’t get it don’t always fail. It’s not an inverse relationship.

Nah mod. The people who get it pass regardless. The rest are toss ups. Those who get it almost always pass. Those who don’t get it don’t always fail. It’s not an inverse relationship.
Where did I say that the people who don’t get it always fail? I literally gave an example of a guy from my class who didn’t get it that passed. My class had a guy that everyone thought would pass and all
The instructors thought was the best or second best person in our class and he failed.

i didnt study for 1 minute at the academy. Most of the people were constantly talking about "study sessions" etc. , but I don't think that will truly help you on a PV, unless you have inside info on exact conflictions from the PV. I mostly just drank several 40 ounce beers every single night at the now defunct "Emerson Biguns" (i guess im old, its now called San Marcos MExican Restaurant). I admit I was way more nervous than i thought id be on PV day, but i dont think studying had jack shit to do w that. I respect ppl who are serious about the job and career, I just dont think studying matters. As long as you generally pay attention and have a general knowledge of aviation and a general aptitude you will be fine. #BestjobintheWorld

i didnt study for 1 minute at the academy. Most of the people were constantly talking about "study sessions" etc. , but I don't think that will truly help you on a PV, unless you have inside info on exact conflictions from the PV. I mostly just drank several 40 ounce beers every single night at the now defunct "Emerson Biguns" (i guess im old, its now called San Marcos MExican Restaurant). I admit I was way more nervous than i thought id be on PV day, but i dont think studying had jack shit to do w that. I respect ppl who are serious about the job and career, I just dont think studying matters. As long as you generally pay attention and have a general knowledge of aviation and a general aptitude you will be fine. #BestjobintheWorld
It’s different now. Instead of a Supe who just says “yeah sure he can do it!” And checks you out, you have some asshole from QA who probably got decertified for trying to ram to many planes together trying to find every little mistake you make.

It’s different now. Instead of a Supe who just says “yeah sure he can do it!” And checks you out, you have some asshole from QA who probably got decertified for trying to ram to many planes together trying to find every little mistake you make.

or you just ... weren’t that good. If you run a clean run and use good judgement you will be fine. The objective grading is more subjective than you may realize.

I didn’t study at all. I had to drink that 12 of those bullshit Oklahoma Gas station Miller lites to get drunk

yeah i know its all been revamped and they wash shitloads of people out now. Which sucks imo because when it gets ridiculous (over half of classes washing etc) its not a true test of who is most likely to succeed, just a struggle session to haze people and pick and choose who gets to live and die. What a fucking scam though that they used to fly sups out to go watch triple A baseball, make it rain at strip clubs, and then give 45 minute PVs eh

or you just ... weren’t that good. If you run a clean run and use good judgement you will be fine. The objective grading is more subjective than you may realize.
Having a clean run sounds pretty objective to me.

yeah i know its all been revamped and they wash shitloads of people out now. Which sucks imo because when it gets ridiculous (over half of classes washing etc) its not a true test of who is most likely to succeed, just a struggle session to haze people and pick and choose who gets to live and die. What a fucking scam though that they used to fly sups out to go watch triple A baseball, make it rain at strip clubs, and then give 45 minute PVs eh
Yeah when I took my MMPI the supe at the facility I visited basically described this. Got to party for a week and then spend a few hours grading some PVs.

once again, PT nails it.This is so underrated. This job is not hard for those who get it.

that said, it is a problem for the alphas, the weight on their shoulders is very heavy at some facilities. They basically have to carry the rest of the scammers, malingerers, fraternizers, sickly people, nervous wrecks. I would submit to you that if you are working a truly busy session on a summer thunderstormy night, it is the ethical thing to do to skip break and make sure the entire NAS doesnt get shut down, depending on who is about to get you out. I realize that only enables a bad system to perpetuate, but if you have any pride you do it. And you die at 58 of a heart attack but thats why its #bestjobinTheWorld . The people who openly allow traffic to go down the shitter to prove a point are motherfuckers who should just quit or go to TMU

Ayn rand would have been nasty at ATC
images

Having a clean run sounds pretty objective to me.

TOTALLY disagree. One man's "separation not ensured" is another man's , you had situational awareness and were "watching it". I cant think of many more subjective things tbh. obviously a true loss of actual lateral/vertical speaks for itself, but its way more grey than that

Back
Top Bottom