Academy Post-COVID

Lived on both the east coast and chicago... I expect it to be....

OKC is going to be a pretty crappy place to live without a ride and nothing is really close to each other. If I were you, I would look into a monthly rental car and make sure you get insured (probably through something other than the rental car company).

In reality, you’re going to need a car after OKC so you might want to just get one before you go.

Right now Kim's Place is my priority pick so I'm not too worried about my ride situation tbh
Is she still offering the incentive for food?

OKC is going to be a pretty crappy place to live without a ride and nothing is really close to each other. If I were you, I would look into a monthly rental car and make sure you get insured (probably through something other than the rental car company).

In reality, you’re going to need a car after OKC so you might want to just get one before you go.
I was thinking of mentioning this, but depending on their financial situation this may not be feasible on academy pay.

I was thinking of mentioning this, but depending on their financial situation this may not be feasible on academy pay.

Yeah, it’s a financial expense for sure. But I think he might be underestimating Uber costs. I stayed at Kim’s and I don’t really remember anything taking less than 15 minutes to get to other than that cruddy burger joint. I wouldn’t even walk there...it was like 105 every damn day I was there.

Is she still offering the incentive for food?
Last I checked, yes.

I can personally afford a car but I'd rather wait to see what's life in OKC is like. If I get desperate I'll rent one lol

Yeah, it’s a financial expense for sure. But I think he might be underestimating Uber costs. I stayed at Kim’s and I don’t really remember anything taking less than 15 minutes to get to other than that cruddy burger joint. I wouldn’t even walk there...it was like 105 every damn day I was there.
Last I checked, yes.

I can personally afford a car but I'd rather wait to see what's life in OKC is like. If I get desperate I'll rent one lol
The other concern is if they don't pass then they are stuck with a car payment lol. You should be good, especially cutting that basics time out, that's like 5 weeks less of OKC.

Don’t they pay to ship your car if they send you overseas?

wasn’t sure if zsu was different, must have heard wrong.
They buy your plane ticket. That’s it. I think. Not sure about Guam. I don’t think anyone has been forced to Guam in a long time.

is there a ferry from FL to Puerto Rico?

They buy your plane ticket. That’s it. I think. Not sure about Guam. I don’t think anyone has been forced to Guam in a long time.

There has to be something.

if you can ship your car to Guam you definitely can to Puerto Rico.

You can get a waiver on the import taxes, but from what I understand you have to pay to ship the car. It's about a 1000 miles so I think it is more of a boat than a ferry.

ONE I live in OKC and I suspect you are in for a bit of a culture shock. Pretty hard to survive here without a vehicle and Uber adds up quick, plus the whole Covid thing and shared cars..

God no, that would take 3 days. They dont even have a ferry from PR to St. Thomas.

As for shipping your car to PR, it's a toss-up. The process to ship a car fucking sucks and they'll tax the shit out of you. Buying a new car, expect to pay 20% more than you would in the states. Buying a used car, expect to go look at like 20 cars because people down there like to lie about the actual condition of the car and post stock photos instead of pictures of their actual car in the hope that you'll show up and just say fuck it and buy it anyway I guess.

If you're going to Academy without a car of your own - definitely make friends with your classmates who have one and with other classes that have them and live at Kim's. Seriously. Nothing in OKC is close to anything else and Uber will add up hella fast.

In the times of Covid the State Fair will probably be a terrible idea if it even happens, but I went with some classmates and had a great time gorging on fried food. But uh, yeah, not exactly sanitary even before a pandemic.

Since a few people are talking places they are staying, I have a question. Anyone have a place they recommend if I'm bringing my wife, baby, and 2 cats down with me? Kim's Place is a bit expensive opting for staying by myself. I was looking at Peachtree Village and 152 West, both seem pretty decent. We will be traveling down with cars, so transportation is not an issue.

Since a few people are talking places they are staying, I have a question. Anyone have a place they recommend if I'm bringing my wife, baby, and 2 cats down with me? Kim's Place is a bit expensive opting for staying by myself. I was looking at Peachtree Village and 152 West, both seem pretty decent. We will be traveling down with cars, so transportation is not an issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has discussed it with you or you've seen it but it's generally advised by those who have passed the academy to leave family at home. You'll need the time to study, relax, de-stress.

1. You don’t need a vehicle in OKC for A few months. Make friends with classmates and live at Kim’s or Anatole and you’ll be able to find a ride.
2. Don’t study before the academy at all. We were given two weeks to memorize the Map and you Will have it down within a few days.
3. People who did well in my class studied some outside of class, but we had a life outside of the academy. You have to do things you enjoy or you will burn out.
4. I went home twice on Three day weekends and several of my classmates did the same. Pick the weekend wisely and it should be fine. We had a three day weekend right after we finished non-radar and before we started Radar academics so it was a perfect time to refresh and go home for a few days. As others have said, DONT post it on social media. Technically the FAA could pull your per diem if you’re not in OKC.
5.Oklahoma surprised me with a variety of good food. Teds Escondido is a great Mexican food place, Empire Slice House has great pizza, Tapwerks in Bricktown has over 200 taps and is a cool place to hangout, Fassler Hall is a cool German restaurant with German beer selections in Midtown, and there is any kind of fast food you can imagine.
6. As someone Previously mentioned, if you want to get away for a day on the weekend convince some classmates to go to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, Oklahoma and go to Meers restaurant for a burger and ice cream (Beware: They only take Cash).
7. When you pass the class you have to celebrate by getting shithoused at Cowboys OKC. If you don’t show up to selection day hungover then you aren’t a real controller. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom