Academy Post-COVID

Total academic/“easy” stuff is worth 34/100 points. Final three runs for finals are 22 each totaling 66.

My lead instructor told us not to give away free points and “you can’t pass in academics, but you fail because of academics.”
One guy on this forum shared his story of getting a final grade of 69.97. They went through his entire time at the academy and couldn't find a single extra point to give him. One more correct answer on any of the tests, and he'd have passed.

One guy on this forum shared his story of getting a final grade of 69.97. They went through his entire time at the academy and couldn't find a single extra point to give him. One more correct answer on any of the tests, and he'd have passed.
Pretty dumb considering they could easily "find" something and no one would ever know and that person's life would be much better at that point and the FAA would be 1 person better staffed

Pretty dumb considering they could easily "find" something and no one would ever know and that person's life would be much better at that point and the FAA would be 1 person better staffed
There’s a LOT of discretion when it comes to grading at the Academy. Quite literally 1 evaluator having a good or a bad day can make or break your career.

Couple things - the evaluators usually know who needs what points and who is struggling and who isn’t. If you passed by .01 - it wasn’t an accident, and you deserved the facility you earned. If you failed by .01 - SAME DEAL. It’s the score YOU earned.

I’d never seen it before or since. Mine says FAA but some of the new people at my facility have DOT.

i think he worked there before doing something else not ATC. But agreed, they should let people volunteer for hard to staff places after they get their TOLs.

Yeah my original piv had FAA on it but then the chip broke and i had to get a a replacement and the new one says DOT now

Couple things - the evaluators usually know who needs what points and who is struggling and who isn’t. If you passed by .01 - it wasn’t an accident, and you deserved the facility you earned. If you failed by .01 - SAME DEAL. It’s the score YOU earned.
This for sure. Evaluators have A LOT of leeway (probably too much, tbh) and they talk to the people involved with you. Had a girl in my class go in with pretty good academic scores - enough to show she was working hard, at least - did well in her sims, but absolutely freeze and bomb her first eval. She was talking to someone to resign before her second, but ended up deciding not to because the person she actually needed to talk to was on the top floor. Went into her second eval and they gave her a 100 to give her a fighting chance on the third and she ended up passing. Low in the class, but passing.

Did she actually earn that 100? Probably not, even she admits that, but that's how it goes sometimes if the evaluators think you have a shot.

Hell, I had an evaluator not mark me down for clearing a guy off to 4000 when there was one of those asshole planes way out of our airspace at 3000 because I called back immediately and amended it to 3000. By the book that should have been an A1.

I don’t know if they all know what every person needs... when I got my final grade I let out a huge sigh and he said “what, what did you need to pass?” I was just relieved to not be going to Midland

This for sure. Evaluators have A LOT of leeway (probably too much, tbh) and they talk to the people involved with you. Had a girl in my class go in with pretty good academic scores - enough to show she was working hard, at least - did well in her sims, but absolutely freeze and bomb her first eval. She was talking to someone to resign before her second, but ended up deciding not to because the person she actually needed to talk to was on the top floor. Went into her second eval and they gave her a 100 to give her a fighting chance on the third and she ended up passing. Low in the class, but passing.

Did she actually earn that 100? Probably not, even she admits that, but that's how it goes sometimes if the evaluators think you have a shot.

Hell, I had an evaluator not mark me down for clearing a guy off to 4000 when there was one of those asshole planes way out of our airspace at 3000 because I called back immediately and amended it to 3000. By the book that should have been an A1.
This makes me feel worse about blowing off virtual classes lol

I don’t know if they all know what every person needs... when I got my final grade I let out a huge sigh and he said “what, what did you need to pass?” I was just relieved to not be going to Midland
This exact thing happened to me. I didn’t need an amazing score to pass but I couldn’t blow it and when I got an excited look on my face when he gave me my score he had no idea what I needed. Or so he said.

Edit: now that I think about it, maybe that’s their shtick. They pretend to not know then ask you so you don’t become suspicious. It’s a conspiracy!

Last edited:
I needed like 10 points to pass and they had me sitting outside the lab for 20 mins making me think i failed. Felt like they do that shit on purpose. Not sure if they know what you need to pass though.

I needed like 10 points to pass and they had me sitting outside the lab for 20 mins making me think i failed. Felt like they do that shit on purpose. Not sure if they know what you need to pass though.

probably like 2 minutes that felt like 20. but for real haha

This is true, if they really wanted to help this guy they could have found a point during any of the evals. It's like when a trainee transposes a call sign. Some instructors take that as a one point phraseology error, some count it as a D9 aircraft identification error which is three points I believe, and some evaluators count that as nothing and no points off, just something that happen.

For the people in Zoom basics, How many classes are there right now? Like how many instructors and how many instructors teach a class, how are the instructors?

I wonder if there will be a big difference in pass rates at the academy now that it’s reopened. It seemed like starting the class after the government shut down in 2013 or whenever that was pass rates went dramatically down and people said the “raised the standards”. I doubt that would happen again though, pass rates are already kind of low and the FAA might think it really needs people now.
We just had 7/8 pass today. Terminal

Back
Top Bottom