Adding facility listings to the wiki

MJ

Administrator
Staff member
People like to talk about their jobs. One of the ideas I had for the wiki was to include a listing for all of the facilities. The idea is it would serve the function similar to the infrequently updated facility welcome guides, created by people who actually work there. It could answer a lot of the typical questions people have when researching a facility, sort of like a virtual tour.

What do y'all think? Useful? Waste of time? Obviously it would require controller folk to fill in the pages. Is there interest in doing this?

We need to compile this wiki imho, there has to be some sort of database available to the public or the average Joe who is at academy or even interested in this job. Higher has gone on too long keeping all the information to themselves and the KSN website. The things you have compiled thus far MJ has been phenomenal and by far much better than even the Union (or at least what they have released).

Yeah I'd love to do that. If people don't want to put anything about their facility that is OK, but with how quickly prior experience hires turn their lists back in and how quickly academy grads have to choose their facility, any information is better then none. We all know there are black holes and country club lower level facilities. If I was at the academy I'd give anything to know which is which.

Ok so the first step is to decide the layout of the pages. Generally, the information should be relatively static. Time sensitive/rapidly changing information (staffing numbers for example) and content that would be tedious to keep updated is not appropriate for a wiki page. With that in mind, what sort of information should there be? Here's my basic outline so far, please make suggestions:

Wiki Facility page
  1. Main template {{facility}}
    1. Location info {{location}}
      1. Facility
      2. Local Area
    2. Operational info {{operations}}
      1. Areas
      2. Positions
      3. Training

I just feel like you're going to get info on maybe ten facilities and nothing on the rest. I have been at my facility for less than a year and couldn't tell you much about the area. It all depends on people's priorities too.... Families, single, etc

I just feel like you're going to get info on maybe ten facilities and nothing on the rest. I have been at my facility for less than a year and couldn't tell you much about the area. It all depends on people's priorities too.... Families, single, etc
Yes, this is my concern also and why I was looking for interest.

For me, after setting up the intitial templates, there's really not much effort as far as the site maintenance goes.

The primary advantage of a wiki is that it can be built out over time. People can add as much or as little as they want. If it's easy enough, I think there would be enough contributions to make it worth while. And eventually, the people who use it to get info would be more likely (in my opinion) to contribute down the line. It wouldn't happen overnight, for sure. But really, there is not much out there. And with the new hiring system where people have a day or two to figure out where they are going to live, I think the benefits of having at least some info readily available are pretty obvious.

Back
Top Bottom