Medical Anti-depressants

Just curious, I have not seen any chatter about anti-depressants. All guidance I have researched lists this a a disqualifier with very limited exceptions. It seems to me like just about everyone and their mother is on meds these days? Seriously, is there not one ATC who takes anti-depressants? Does anyone have information on waivers or flight surgeon protocals regarding this matter?

MJ

Administrator
Staff member
Disqualifying almost always. No it’s not a thing in ATC.
There is a pilot program to study changing to the policy, but it won’t be changing anytime soon.

C_Ro

Trusted Contributor
I have a considerable amount of experience in this area. Current use, like MJ said, major issue. Past use is another story, and one I'm well versed in. PM me if you want specifics/guidance on getting past your medical.

And in fact, whoever reads this in like 3 years from now with questions on the matter, feel free to PM me, I will respond.

I've spent way too much money getting around this to not share my experiences with it.

MJ

Administrator
Staff member
I have a considerable amount of experience in this area. Current use, like MJ said, major issue. Past use is another story, and one I'm well versed in. PM me if you want specifics/guidance on getting past your medical.

And in fact, whoever reads this in like 3 years from now with questions on the matter, feel free to PM me, I will respond.

I've spent way too much money getting around this to not share my experiences with it.
Do you have any resources you would be able to share, since this comes up fairly often?

C_Ro

Trusted Contributor
Sorry MJ, I thought I replied to this already.

As far as resources go, I've found the majority of what I've read to be either flat out wrong, or perhaps outdated. There is no resource I can point to, except my own experiences dealing with it.

There are about 50 things you can do to speed up the process, as in getting things ready before they even are asked of you. Past records, statements, etc.

Perhaps I should write up a guide I suppose to assist others. I've spent about $3k total now at this point, and finally seeing the end of the tunnel.

C_Ro

Trusted Contributor
Hello all, I had no idea how many people would reach out for some guidance in this area. This thread must be popping up quite a bit in searches.

So on those that message me, I'm trying to streamline this a little better. Please reply with this information below when you message me.

There are a lot of variables. The biggest being how long you took them, and why. Things like suicidal idealization, violence, or other forms of a deeper psychosis can bring about complicated issues and possible disqualification.

If you want my opinion on your specific situation, I need details, which includes personal information that you might not want to give. Understandable. However, there is no way around this, as there are tons of variables to consider. No names, or anything like that, just details on your situation to help me understand things better.

If you'd like me to look further at your situation, please provide the following information, in this format, past age 13.

Date of initial appointment:
Date of initial prescription(s):
Length of time on prescription(s):
Name of prescription(s):
Circumstances of depression:
Suicidal ideation: Yes or No
Violent ideation: Yes or No
ADD/ADHD Medication: Yes or No
Date since last psychological related appointment:
Would your past psychologist/psychiatrist provide a current recommendation in your favor:
Have any psychological issues been noted or discussed with your current employer:

If you provide this information, I can let you know what I think will happen in your situation, and what you need to do to get in front of it.