APA midair

Anybody hear about the midair near Centennial today? A Key Lime Metroliner and a Cirrus SR22. The Cirrus pulled the chute and landed safely, and the Metroliner had major damage and landed safely at Centennial.
Edit: listened to the tapes on liveATC. Obviously I don’t know for sure, but it sounds like the Cirrus flew through their final approach course for 17R and hit the Metroliner which was on final for 17L. I’m sure more details will emerge.

Last edited:
After listening to the tapes and watching vas aviation video, my thoughts are that the cirrus no way had the key lime pie in sight and was thinking it was the guy he was following. I think he confused the whole situation. Glad nobody died though!
Especially turning right base to final in a low wing aircraft, there's no way he's going to see any traffic off his left. I'm just surprised you can run parallels like that that close together. Can anyone weigh in on the legality of this procedure?

I’m just surprised you can run parallels like that that close together. Can anyone weigh in on the legality of this procedure?
What? Lots of airports have parallels with ~700 ft between the centerlines, and run operations like this all day. What “procedure” exactly do you think is legally questionable here?

After listening to the tapes and watching vas aviation video, my thoughts are that the cirrus no way had the key lime pie in sight and was thinking it was the guy he was following. I think he confused the whole situation. Glad nobody died though!

Yeah, the tapes make it sound like the Cirrus was reporting the Cessna they were following in sight twice on two different calls....the controller gave the key lime as “additional traffic” during the second call, the cirrus just repeated “traffic in sight” and probably meant that as the Cessna, not the additional traffic, and then slammed into them as they overshot final.

Last edited:
Yeah, the tapes make it sound like the Cirrus was reporting the Cessna they were following in sight twice on two different calls....the controller gave the key lime as “additional traffic” during the second call, the cirrus just repeated “traffic in sight” and probably meant that as the Cessna, not the additional traffic, and then slammed into them as they overshot final.
Here comes the “verify you have aircraft in sight” phraseology not only do you have to issue it but now we are going to have to verify as well.

Back
Top Bottom