Article 32 Section 8

EMTATCT

Can you guys share how this clause is being applied and interpreted at your facilities. From my understanding, if the needs of the shift are adequately met, management shall approve a shift change request. I would expect that staffing minimums are the guidelines. Our facility requires two openers, a middle, and one closer for leave to be approved.

"When considering an individual request for a shift and/or days off change, the Agency will consider the staffing and workload of the losing and gaining shift as a precondition to approval. If it is determined that those needs are adequately met, the change shall be approved."

One of the supes at my tower approves pretty much any shift change as long as there is enough for the rotation and another only approves if there is enough for the rotation plus someone for backup(hold over) if there is a sick call.

Yea not sure what your question is. If the loosing shift is adequately staffed a shift change shall be approved. It’s not uncommon for us to be down to the minimum 10 on the eve shift and 13-15 on the day shift.

They are using the argument of too many closers? We have a 2-1-1 guideline. Shift is 3-2-2. One middle is a 10 hour, they are saying they don't want too many closers. They are denying a middle to move to the closer.

They are using the argument of too many closers? We have a 2-1-1 guideline. Shift is 3-2-2. One middle is a 10 hour, they are saying they don't want too many closers. They are denying a middle to move to the closer.

The article says if it is determined those needs are met (staffing and workload) the change shall be approved. What would they say if you got annual leave approved, and then cancelled it to work the evening shift? It shouldn't come to that but still. Either way if they deny it you can grieve it.

I think generally speaking if you are denied leave and told that the reason is "staffing and workload" , (assuming they arent totally over the top about it and playing games, which only you truly know on the ground there) then management is on steady ground. Some facilities would be delighted to have their mgmt actually use a CBA based argument, even if its a spin or a stretch. Better that than arbitrary free for all. Section 8 does give them that out, and a manager is allowed discretion in staffing a given shift. If others are being approved for the same staffed similar shifts, then obviously you may not be being treated "fair and equitably" in an Article 102 sense. It sounds like I am taking a "side" but I am very much in favor of a loose interpretation of the rules that favor a controller's desired working conditions and one that maximizes time off. I just think that an FLM is permitted to run his/her shift how they feel comfortable. There is no requirement that they approve down to "minimums", and you might even make an argument that perpetually going to minimums is actually not fair for those left on the shift. what does your local A32 MOU say? It can't diminish entitlements in the CBA, but may provide clarity. Prime time leave slots are the only truly guarunteed leave. Obviously it would be a hellhole of a facility if you could NEVER get spot leave or non PTL, and if there are problems it is best handled between the facrep & ATM collaboratively and in good faith. LOL now i sound like a company shill so i'll close with.... In a perfect world where i am king... the Facrep negotiates that leave is backfilled with unlimited OT and everyone is happy. Kind of like N90.... :lol: (except no one else would be audacious enough to think we could sell back our primetime and then still take it all anyway!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very familiar with this situation.
If you can get lets say 3 hrs of Annual leave end of shift approved you can get your shift moved 3 hrs earlier because it is proven that you are not needed for those 3 hours.
Also, if staffing minimum is met the shift change should be approved. Having a shift change request denied to cover the possible sick hit is a decision made based on conditional circumstances and is an easy fight to win.

What's the point of having staffing numbers if we let management arbitrarily decide that staffing and workload doesn't permit leave that day anyways
If you taking annual leave causes training time to drop from 5 hours that shift, down to 1-2 hours, that could be a reason for denial. Training is part of workload.

This is in regards to shift changes. From my understanding, if staffing minimum are met on the losing shift and minimums are met on the gaining shift, that they are required to approve a shift change. Not use their opinion on how many on one shift they think is too many.

Back
Top Bottom