Asking for a facility

WR

Lurker
FAA
Facility
Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center
Hello, I’m new here I just finished basics and will be in OKC soon. On my INDOC day we were told that if we had a family situation we could request to be stationed near home. They used the example of custody battle or an I’ll family member as being a legitimate reason. My wife and I are going through the green card process which can take a very long time and requires us to be in the state we filed, we both need to be there for the interview portion. I don’t want to be the guy begging to be placed back home but I’d like to take care of her immigration. Is it worth asking the placement office or will I just get told to get lost?

It's more likely than not that you will not be placed close to home. I would suggest looking at Article 99 of the NATCA Slate Book, but let me be clear... you are not a bargaining unit employee and subject to Slate Book protections until you leave the academy. However, if you have a legitimate hardship as defined by the contract and you have the documentation to prove it, you may have a chance. This does not sound like a protected hardship, however.

It's more likely than not that you will not be placed close to home. I would suggest looking at Article 99 of the NATCA Slate Book, but let me be clear... you are not a bargaining unit employee and subject to Slate Book protections until you leave the academy. However, if you have a legitimate hardship as defined by the contract and you have the documentation to prove it, you may have a chance. This does not sound like a protected hardship, however.
I didn’t think it would, but I figured it’d be worth asking before I went and made a fool out of myself. Thank you for your response!

Sadly you probably won't get placed near home, you can try asking though. A few students in my class asked including one with a legitimate natca defined hardship but was sadly denied. My wife and I also went through the K-1 fiance visa process, though a few years before the academy, try to keep sane and patient, the process is so long-winded but you can make it.

Hello, I’m new here I just finished basics and will be in OKC soon. On my INDOC day we were told that if we had a family situation we could request to be stationed near home. They used the example of custody battle or an ill family member as being a legitimate reason. My wife and I are going through the green card process which can take a very long time and requires us to be in the state we filed, we both need to be there for the interview portion. I don’t want to be the guy begging to be placed back home but I’d like to take care of her immigration. Is it worth asking the placement office or will I just get told to get lost?
I know some people are hesitant or reluctant to ask questions out there but if something like this ever crossed your mind and it’s meaningful enough then why not take the risk. March into that placement office (bring evidence to really drive the point), be kind and let them know what you want. These people are human just like you and me man. You’ll never know until you ask, sometimes more than once.

I know some people are hesitant or reluctant to ask questions out there but if something like this ever crossed your mind and it’s meaningful enough then why not take the risk. March into that placement office (bring evidence to really drive the point), be kind and let them know what you want. These people are human just like you and me man. You’ll never know until you ask, sometimes more than once.
This. This. This. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life it’s that the answer is always no if you don’t ask. You’d resent yourself for not at least trying. But that doesn’t mean go in demanding and unprepared. As RX said, go in having all your ducks in a row, supporting documents/evidence sorted and in hand. It’s difficult to take someone seriously who doesn’t take their approach seriously. Be confident but courteous. God speed and good luck.

You 100% don't have to remain in the state you filed in. You do however have to remain in the US while your spouse is pending her permanent residence application. Just file AR-11 to change your address whenever you move and they will transfer your spouses case to the nearest USCIS office. How do I know this? I did it for my wife. It adds time to the clock sure which is annoying but in the end it doesn't matter how long it takes. Don't let that control your life.

Last edited:
Hello, I’m new here I just finished basics and will be in OKC soon. On my INDOC day we were told that if we had a family situation we could request to be stationed near home. They used the example of custody battle or an I’ll family member as being a legitimate reason. My wife and I are going through the green card process which can take a very long time and requires us to be in the state we filed, we both need to be there for the interview portion. I don’t want to be the guy begging to be placed back home but I’d like to take care of her immigration. Is it worth asking the placement office or will I just get told to get lost?
Go find someone in the offices at OKC asap. Don’t wait on it, find someone in charge when you get there. Bring documentation. A letter from a lawyer is good. They can work with a lot, but you have to be prepared and let them know far in advance so they can have time to work it out.

If they literally told you that it can happen the only way it for sure won’t is if you don’t ask. Don’t listen to anyone here. Don’t get your hopes up but go talk to them at least. Tell them what’s going on and shoot your shot. This board is full of controllers stuck far from home and don’t care if you get what you want or need.

I honestly don't know the process of going from one immigration office to another, but from personal experience this could work in your favor if that doesn't take too long.... my wife and I moved to a different city around the time she went from being a perm resident to applying for citizenship and after her experience with the NY and TX officeS she had worked with in big cities she was shocked at the speed the office in a smaller city worked at. Like application to swearing in was approx 6 months or so if I remember correctly, which seemed super fast from what she says comparing to other people she knows who went thru the process, not to mention what I witnessed first hand with her getting basic stuff done just to renew her residency in the mean time before applying for full citizenship at a major metro office vs a small city.

That said she held off on applying till after we had moved for exactly what your are talking about so YMMV.

If you need info DM me I'll talk to my wife she's alot better at remembering details on this stuff than me when I'm 8 beers deep. More than happy to help.

It doesn’t hurt to ask, however I also went through the same process moved and nothing bad happened. I got hired prior experience and when we moved we filed an address change. We just kept going to the nearest USCIS office in order to finish the process. We were 5 months in to the process when we moved.

Back
Top Bottom