Change in Status to those on Excused Absence (Proposal)?

I still don’t know what this thread is about, but a large TRACON in the mid Atlantic is going 5/5 starting with PP14

But what shift are you considered to be on? Day? Swing? Mid? In any case there are only 8 hours a day that you’re on excused absence, so there are 16 others that you can go anywhere or do anything you please. As long as you can make it back for your next shift period if called in
This is a good point, I highly doubt the agency will be recalling people with any regularity but if they start to they better specify what 8-10 hours you are “recallable” for.

But what shift are you considered to be on? Day? Swing? Mid? In any case there are only 8 hours a day that you’re on excused absence, so there are 16 others that you can go anywhere or do anything you please. As long as you can make it back for your next shift period if called in
I was told I was 7-330 since I was in class at the time.

Up until recently I figured I'd be headed back when the trainees head back. Sounds like this is not a management function but a flight surgeon function though? I can't imagine there will be no pressure on flight surgeons by management to send at-risk employees back though.
I picture the logic being- if it's safe enough for non-essentials, it's safe enough for at-risk.

Anyway, expecting I'll be going back to work as late as a couple more months or as early as RIGHT NOW GET YOUR ASS BACK IMMEDIATELY OMG!!!

Up until recently I figured I'd be headed back when the trainees head back. Sounds like this is not a management function but a flight surgeon function though? I can't imagine there will be no pressure on flight surgeons by management to send at-risk employees back though.
I picture the logic being- if it's safe enough for non-essentials, it's safe enough for at-risk.

Anyway, expecting I'll be going back to work as late as a couple more months or as early as RIGHT NOW GET YOUR ASS BACK IMMEDIATELY OMG!!!
I shall report to duty when ordered to do so and request it in rewriting as well.

Just curious, has anyone taken their mgmt up on the offer and returned to work? Received the necessary over-the-shoulder?

This was a discussion today, concern that a sup giving the over-the-shoulder to the qualified employee to recert somehow constitutes a violation of the national OJT ban. I don't see that as an issue at all as a Sup cannot give OJT, but whatever.

Just curious, has anyone taken their mgmt up on the offer and returned to work? Received the necessary over-the-shoulder?

This was a discussion today, concern that a sup giving the over-the-shoulder to the qualified employee to recert somehow constitutes a violation of the national OJT ban. I don't see that as an issue at all as a Sup cannot give OJT, but whatever.

I’m a partial and I had to return back for a few days for traffic while they transitioned to 5/5, 2 weeks ago. Got my over the shoulder. Worked for 5 days. Now off again ufa.

I don't see that as an issue at all as a Sup cannot give OJT, but whatever.

Separate from the suspension of training, is it true that a supe cannot give OJT? Can you point to that in black and white? That's the general thinking at my facility, but a couple people say that's a local interpretation (meant to prevent a specific supe from several years ago from training anyone) and it's not actually true.

Separate from the suspension of training, is it true that a supe cannot give OJT? Can you point to that in black and white? That's the general thinking at my facility, but a couple people say that's a local interpretation (meant to prevent a specific supe from several years ago from training anyone) and it's not actually true.
Of course supervisors can provide OJT, the sups are our leaders, people who rose to the top in a leadership role while maintaining currency, they are the only ones who can check you out or suspend training, why shouldn’t they train they are probably the most qualified too?

I don't think sups can technically give OJT, but there is nothing stopping one from giving unlimited skill checks.

I don't think sups can technically give OJT, but there is nothing stopping one from giving unlimited skill checks.
They technically can, this was a topic of discussion at ojti class. However, you would want a good reason to for them to do so and you’d want the entire training team to be onboard with it. The scenario it would be most likely to happen would be at a super understaffed facility, if there was no one else to train. There’s nothing in the order that says they can’t, but it would make for an awkward trb if it came to that.

My first supe in the FAA used to plug in with me for hours and give me free time so I didn't get rusty waiting for busy traffic.

I wouldn't expect anything less than reporting when ordered to. Why do you need it in writing though?

Mainly because its the Agency (enough said) and second because my District likes to assert its dominance over us (telling us we have to do one thing while they do something else) and preempt HQ. When the music stops I will not be the only one without a chair.

Back
Top Bottom