Did Nick Daniels propose extending the contract to 2029?

Kinda what I was thinking as well. Why bother opening it if the FAA doesn’t have to. If Biden is still in they don’t really have motivation. It’s definitely gonna cost them.
Anything other than a player only option (NATCA) to open or extend in 2026 is pointless… but I’m sure it’d be sold as a big win to us peasants.

Rich Santa wants to extend the contract as well. Every regional meeting last year this information was shared.

If it's true Whitaker is using resources as the excuse, Santa needs to jump on that. Offer to "lighten" the load with the current contract negotiations by limiting it to pay/compensation only but it has to be for all three contracts. Overhaul the pay structure for ALL members and lock the raises in now. Address everything else in 26'. If they want the 29' extension as part of the deal, agree, but with the 26' option AND the contract can be opened up between 6 months to 1 year prior to the expiration date instead of just 6 months. That should give some leeway regardless of who wins in 24' or who's running in 28'.

Last edited:
Kinda what I was thinking as well. Why bother opening it if the FAA doesn’t have to. If Biden is still in they don’t really have motivation. It’s definitely gonna cost them.
Bold thinking trump wont kick the can in five years time

I wonder if they have discussed the angle of combining us with Staff or Region X or both, and not needing more lawyers to work the negotiations. Consolidating contracts.
From a recent NATCA Rep meeting I attended. No, not gonna happen. The two CBAs that were opened (Purple & Light Blue) had several Agency-NATCA meetings where the bargaining ground rules and dates for negotiations have been set.... to begin in April. Also agreed to was that if an agreement was not reached by September, anything not agreed to would go to binding arbitration. The Agency wants to get moving on these CBAs and not be in a situation like they are with PASS - at 22 months in negotiations and counting... and not close to agreement.

From a recent NATCA Rep meeting I attended. No, not gonna happen. The two CBAs that were opened (Purple & Light Blue) had several Agency-NATCA meetings where the bargaining ground rules and dates for negotiations have been set.... to begin in April. Also agreed to was that if an agreement was not reached by September, anything not agreed to would go to binding arbitration. The Agency wants to get moving on these CBAs and not be in a situation like they are with PASS - at 22 months in negotiations and counting... and not close to agreement.
PASS isn’t perfect by a long shot but they have become much more aggressive in advocating for their members.

I
PASS isn’t perfect by a long shot but they have become much more aggressive in advocating for their members.
Let’s be honest, that also have way less than us. Fighting just to fight doesn’t do anything. It’s only if you are producing measurable results that it’s worthwhile. Time will tel

I

Let’s be honest, that also have way less than us. Fighting just to fight doesn’t do anything. It’s only if you are producing measurable results that it’s worthwhile. Time will tel
Agreed. I need to ask around and find out what the are pushing for.

PASS did get them the same 1.6% atc gets. You know, the great 1.6% that natca claims as a great WIN for its members because we age out at 56 where tech ops can keep working.

Good for them I'm just a little pissed natca passes it off like it's a huuuuuge win for atc.

Last edited:
PASS did get them the same 1.6% atc gets. You know, the great 1.6% that natca claims as a great WIN for its members because we age out at 56 were tech ops can keep working.

Good for them I'm just a little pissed natca passes it off like it's a huuuuuge win for atc.
We get 1.7% for retirement. Are you referring to that or the 1.6% June raise?

Heard the NSO RVP had a write-up about this issue in an email last night. Basically, it boils down to this: the Agency doesn't want to re-open the Slate Book during the current Biden Administration and NATCA doesn't want to have to negotiate with a Trump Administration.

The question presented to the NEB was, under various scenarios, what to authorize the NATCA President to do? Extending the CBA to 2029 was not palatable; but, the question then was, what if an extension to 2029 came with an early opener for 2026? Extending to 2029 with an opener for 2026 was a little more palatable... but not by much. The question then was, what if the Agency said "we offer you an extension to 2029 with an opener in 2026 and you must accept by this date or there is no extension," period. Of course, the drop dead date would be prior to the November presidential election. And, that is what the NEB voted to decide.

Quite simply, no one wants to extend the Slate Book to 2029 but the FAA Administrator of "the most friendly labor union President in history" (trademark) won't agree to re-open the Slate Book during the Biden Administration and is very likely to say "take it or leave it" to an extension before elections. This is the disastrous Paul-Trish NATCA (lack of) leadership coming back to bite us in the ass and every single member should be prepared for BOHICA.

Heard the NSO RVP had a write-up about this issue in an email last night. Basically, it boils down to this: the Agency doesn't want to re-open the Slate Book during the current Biden Administration and NATCA doesn't want to have to negotiate with a Trump Administration.

The question presented to the NEB was, under various scenarios, what to authorize the NATCA President to do? Extending the CBA to 2029 was not palatable; but, the question then was, what if an extension to 2029 came with an early opener for 2026? Extending to 2029 with an opener for 2026 was a little more palatable... but not by much. The question then was, what if the Agency said "we offer you an extension to 2029 with an opener in 2026 and you must accept by this date or there is no extension," period. Of course, the drop dead date would be prior to the November presidential election. And, that is what the NEB voted to decide.

Quite simply, no one wants to extend the Slate Book to 2029 but the FAA Administrator of "the most friendly labor union President in history" (trademark) won't agree to re-open the Slate Book during the Biden Administration and is very likely to say "take it or leave it" to an extension before elections. This is the disastrous Paul-Trish NATCA (lack of) leadership coming back to bite us in the ass and every single member should be prepared for BOHICA.
I mean that’s a lot of words and politicking.

The motion, made by Nick Daniels and seconded by one of the RVPs in nicks group came down to this:

Extend to 2029 but it can be opened in 2026 if both parties agree to it.

Why on earth would the FAA or any business agree to open a contract early unless they felt they could get something out of it? The only way this would work would be if Rich was able to negotiate with whittaker a hand shake agreement that if Biden wins we open it if Trump wins we don’t. That wouldn’t be written officially anywhere and if one or the other weren’t around in 2026 it wouldn’t be enforceable.

This is just another instance where nick would be in over his head to even think this was a motion the membership wanted.

It shouldn’t matter who is elected POTUS this year. The negotiations should’ve already been done and the current contract shouldn’t have been extended to 2026. Most likely, the union agrees to extend the contract to 2029, we lose even more purchasing power with our paychecks, and the Agency sees mass retirements in the next 4-7 years.

Back
Top Bottom