En route Placement List

En route Placement List 10/26/2022

No permission to download
I've heard of this in the past and don't really know the logistics of it, but does anyone know if any facilities are currently being offered at the academy right now that you can request right off the bat? Hawaii or Alaska for example.

Yes but you have to request them very early on and no guarantee it will be available because they are pretty staffed. If you do make that commitment though and they say it’s available, come placement day, you don’t get to choose from the list if you happened to like something better on there, you are stuck with your request. But you can’t just “request” something in the contiguous 48.

Anyone know what does it mean for ZMA when it's blank I would like to go there but want to have an idea if they're even placing people there. Thanks.

Anyone know what does it mean for ZMA when it's blank I would like to go there but want to have an idea if they're even placing people there. Thanks.
Where are you in the process?
The list will constantly change over the course of the year. The list is like a conveyor belt. Blank spots are available but have not been allocated yet (reserved for academy graduate, prior experience, nest, ERR, hardship).
Once you get to within a few weeks of graduating from the academy you can semi-predict what will fall to your class.

If you have any questions about the academy or how the lists are generated for each academy class, check out the FAQ at Academy

Hi there. Recent enroute TOL recipient here.

I've spot checked a half dozen of these placement lists and I have yet to come across a Seattle spot open to academy graduates. Is there something to that? My pie-in-the-sky goal would be to ultimately end up back at home in Seattle after academy graduation. Of course, I'll go anywhere....

My apologies if this has been covered before.

ZSE
Academy Grads:
2015 - 14
2016 - 18 + 1 Prev Exp
2017 - 8

ERRs:
2015 - 0
2016 - 6
2017 - 5
Few NESTs and Hardships sprinkled in

Hi there. Recent enroute TOL recipient here.

I've spot checked a half dozen of these placement lists and I have yet to come across a Seattle spot open to academy graduates. Is there something to that? My pie-in-the-sky goal would be to ultimately end up back at home in Seattle after academy graduation. Of course, I'll go anywhere....

My apologies if this has been covered before.
See Omegahare's statistics above. ZSE's first open spot isn't until 537. Here's a rough outline to your question.
- It shouldn't be surprising, but some centers are more desirable then others. ZSE is certainly one of them.
- Hiring is largely cyclical. As you can see from the stats above, there was a decent window to get there in 2016, which dwindled to 8 in 2017 and judging by the current placement list, there will probably be 0 academy grads in 2018.
- With the evolution of the NCEPT (Tool used to allow current certified controllers to transfer), the majority of the coveted centers have numerous ERR's (transfer requests) to choose from so you're essentially competing with them for those spots.

Best advice I can give is to not worry about it at this point. The list changes continuously (weekly) and what is currently near the top now will look completely different when you start the academy and completely different again when it's your time to select.

See Omegahare's statistics above. ZSE's first open spot isn't until 537. Here's a rough outline to your question.
- It shouldn't be surprising, but some centers are more desirable then others. ZSE is certainly one of them.
- Hiring is largely cyclical. As you can see from the stats above, there was a decent window to get there in 2016, which dwindled to 8 in 2017 and judging by the current placement list, there will probably be 0 academy grads in 2018.
- With the evolution of the NCEPT (Tool used to allow current certified controllers to transfer), the majority of the coveted centers have numerous ERR's (transfer requests) to choose from so you're essentially competing with them for those spots.

Best advice I can give is to not worry about it at this point. The list changes continuously (weekly) and what is currently near the top now will look completely different when you start the academy and completely different again when it's your time to select.

Thank you so much for this great info!

When at the academy, and when you pick your facility, I understand the process that it goes by class grade placement. My question is how long do you have to make the decision? Do they show you the placement list ahead of time and then you pick within the next couple days, or is "here's the list, we need to know by the end of the day"?

When at the academy, and when you pick your facility, I understand the process that it goes by class grade placement. My question is how long do you have to make the decision? Do they show you the placement list ahead of time and then you pick within the next couple days, or is "here's the list, we need to know by the end of the day"?
You get the placement list the day or two before PAs. For every student that doesn't make it, two slots get deleted off the list from the bottom up. The day after PAs are finished, you'll go to the placement office and everyone will officially pick their facility from what's remaining.

You get the placement list the day or two before PAs. For every student that doesn't make it, two slots get deleted off the list from the bottom up. The day after PAs are finished, you'll go to the placement office and everyone will officially pick their facility from what's remaining.
That's good then. Still not a ton of time, but you can get an idea of what will be available based on how many make it to that day. Just have to hope what you want isn't on the bottom if you have any failures I suppose.

That's good then. Still not a ton of time, but you can get an idea of what will be available based on how many make it to that day. Just have to hope what you want isn't on the bottom if you have any failures I suppose.

Yeah, you’ll get a good idea too where everyone wants to go and be. Lotta movement the last couple days of OKC with people failing and the list shrinking as they go. I’ve known plenty of people offer a bribe as well to other classmates to not take/take a facility.

Yeah, you’ll get a good idea too where everyone wants to go and be. Lotta movement the last couple days of OKC with people failing and the list shrinking as they go. I’ve known plenty of people offer a bribe as well to other classmates to not take/take a facility.
Interesting, what sort of bribe?

That would have to be a lot of stacks to get me to give up where I want to live for at least the next few years.

Yep, guy who was married and had 2 kids from Florida offered a single guy from Indiana area $8,000 to take his Miami spot but the single guy turned it down, guess he really wanted Miami Beach and the ladies ;)

Yep, guy who was married and had 2 kids from Florida offered a single guy from Indiana area $8,000 to take his Miami spot but the single guy turned it down, guess he really wanted Miami Beach and the ladies ;)

What was the other options then?

Back
Top Bottom