EV Chargers at facility

Not just boats, people towing anything, which is a lot, severely limits battery range. Forget stopping to pump gas real quick, you’re waiting AT LEAST 10-15 mins for a partial charge. Forget cold weather performance, we all already know how that impacts batteries, running your heater plays into this as well as electric heater technology in general draws a lot of amps. Forget the cost of a battery replacement, that’s like replacing a gas engine times 3. Also, say a natural disaster happens nearby and wipes out commercial power, no local charging for you. (I bring that one up because I’ve seen gas storage tanks plumbed for manual pumping after a bad tornado)

All in all we are witnessing a time where we’re trying to push something so hard to the masses but the engineering and technology isn’t there yet. EVs theoretically are cool and have performance advantages, but are pretty impractical in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention our infrastructure is nowhere near ready for something like this. Maybe in 10-15 years.

I'm not saying EVs are perfect, but I would challenge you to think of your argument in reverse.

The technology and engineering to burn fossil fuels for a billion personal vehicles without destroying the environment just isn't there yet. There is no infrastructure to scrub the amount of greenhouse gasses emitted by ICE vehicles. These global impacts are a lot bigger than you not being able to tow your boat to the lake twice a year.

Will driving an electric car reverse global warming? No. But it will clean up our air, reduce dependence on middle east oil, and stop pouring literal fuel on the metaphorical fire that's already raging. And with the technology that already exists, we can cover 99% of real end user needs.

BATTERIES ARE NOT THE ONLY OPTION FOR POWERING ELECTRIC VEHICLES AND WILL NEVER BE THE SOLUTION

The technology and engineering to burn fossil fuels for a billion personal vehicles without destroying the environment just isn't there yet. There is no infrastructure to scrub the amount of greenhouse gasses emitted by ICE vehicles. These global impacts are a lot bigger than you not being able to tow your boat to the lake twice a year.

Will driving an electric car reverse global warming? No. But it will clean up our air, reduce dependence on middle east oil, and stop pouring literal fuel on the metaphorical fire that's already raging. And with the technology that already exists, we can cover 99% of real end user needs.
coal GIF
earth environment GIF

Sorry, couldn't hear you over my god-given American rights to roll coal in your face and deepthroat MBS.

Never? Man wasn't expected to fly for centuries yet here we are.
The solution is public transportation that doesn't suck. I also think hydrogen is much more feasible and easier to implement than battery EV is. You can never have battery electric semi trucks. They would weigh too much to haul anything.

The solution is public transportation that doesn't suck. I also think hydrogen is much more feasible and easier to implement than battery EV is. You can never have battery electric semi trucks. They would weigh too much to haul anything.

Didn't Toyota think Hydrogen was the path and are now trying to play catch up in the EV race? Battery powered semi's already exist because Tesla's already making them along with other companies. Long Haul semis? 10 years from now maybe. Maybe longer. Battery tech is changing now that there are billions of dollars on the line.

Also public transportation in the US will never catch on and is a pipe dream.

Yah but can they drive 2,000 miles without stopping? Checkmate!
Can’t drive 2,000 miles without stopping legally……you should look up duty hours for truck drivers. If your rebuttal to that is driver teams, they are very much a minority of the trucking industry.

They already exist….
Yes and they’d be much better served by being able to pull more cargo instead of taking most of the weight they’re allowed to have being taken by batteries. Unless we’re talking about trucks that have about 100 miles of range and the highway system being redesigned to have overhead wires for trucks to use

Didn't Toyota think Hydrogen was the path and are now trying to play catch up in the EV race? Battery powered semi's already exist because Tesla's already making them along with other companies. Long Haul semis? 10 years from now maybe. Maybe longer. Battery tech is changing now that there are billions of dollars on the line.

Also public transportation in the US will never catch on and is a pipe dream.
Public transportation will catch on with proper funding. We spend 21 times as much on the roads each year as we have in amtraks most expensive year ever, roads are a drain on the taxpayer

Yes and they’d be much better served by being able to pull more cargo instead of taking most of the weight they’re allowed to have being taken by batteries. Unless we’re talking about trucks that have about 100 miles of range and the highway system being redesigned to have overhead wires for trucks to use
Tesla semi only has a 6,000 weight penalty versus standard diesel truck. Most semis on the road aren’t operated at max gross…..

Public transportation will catch on with proper funding. We spend 21 times as much on the roads each year as we have in amtraks most expensive year ever, roads are a drain on the taxpayer

You'll never convince me that the general public would enjoy walking/biking to a bus or train stop then walking/biking to work then repeating that process. Don't get me started on picking up kids at daycare, stopping at grocery stores, errands, etc. You're talking about an extra hour of commuting time or more just for work... then the amount of time wasted to go to other places. I've actually lived in Europe for several years and dealt with public transportation and theirs is far better than ours yet still an absolute pain in the ass. Their entire continent doesnt even have it figured out and you think the US which is far more spread out can?

Unless the public transportation is clean, right next to my house, and drops me off right at work with nearly no stops in between, then I'm not using it. Also, it better stop at chickfila for me on the way home so I can get my nuggies fix after working all day with dumb people who advocate for more public transportation.

A/c better be working. No fucking weirdos sitting next to me. No morons blaring music over their phones instead of on a headset. Having to stand because there aren't enough seats. Having to sit by some dude that smells like a trashcan because he doesnt shower. Not having to worry that the homeless dude at the stop asking for money and talking to himself isn't going to stab me. Having to worry about pickpocketers that work together to swipe your wallet/phone. Hope no one follows you as you walk home late at night and mugs/murders you or your wife/kids.

These are just common issues with public transportation that I've experienced myself or been with a friend that has.

Last edited:
Also, say a natural disaster happens nearby and wipes out commercial power, no local charging for you. (I bring that one up because I’ve seen gas storage tanks plumbed for manual pumping after a bad tornado)
hahahaha. That makes me laugh. Back in the day, after Hurricane Sandy hit, they had to bring a gas truck to the facilities on Long Island to ensure controllers could make it to work. Gas distribution was more messed up then electric tenfold.

But again, nothing is perfect, but let’s not get too deep into our own echo chambers, there is a counterpoint for every argument.

I'm not saying EVs are perfect, but I would challenge you to think of your argument in reverse.

I take your overall point. But, think about all the increase in mining production around the world this is bringing for precious metals. Everyone wants to bring environmental protection into the conversation but don’t want to talk about what’s actually required to build EVs. Not to mention the lovey gasses vented to the atmosphere when batteries have a fault. We’re also talking about an increase in coal/natural gas power-plant production to sustain everyone pulling more amps to charge their cars which is effectively a stalemate by itself when you couple these points together.

That said, my stance is truly not against EVs, I just don’t think the technology is there yet to do what they’re pushing to do. I think they’re building rushed, under-engineered vehicles that are 3/4 of the way to being something reliable, practical and something that truly answers climate protection concerns.

I drive a model y 38,000 miles a year in a cold weather area…. It doesn’t change my driving style, route, and I spend no time waiting for it to charge….if it works for me it will work for 99% of the population 90% of the time.
So how much time are we talking for your charging to take, “no time?” Pretty sure the cited charge time for the Tesla Supercharger is something like a 200 mile charge in 15 minutes, that’s convenient at one’s dwelling, not much elsewhere.

And you can’t tell me owning a Tesla doesn’t change your driving style, if you deplete the battery it takes DAYS to recharge it and minimize cell damage. Supposed to keep the battery between 90%-20%. They have a decent range, but your days of pulling into a gas station just above “E” are done.

ICE isn’t sustainable long term and EV tech isn’t there yet.

hahahaha. That makes me laugh. Back in the day, after Hurricane Sandy hit, they had to bring a gas truck to the facilities on Long Island to ensure controllers could make it to work. Gas distribution was more messed up then electric tenfold.

But again, nothing is perfect, but let’s not get too deep into our own echo chambers, there is a counterpoint for every argument.
So you’re comparing the vulnerabilities of a densely populated island in southeast NY state during a hurricane to every other possible natural disaster situation in the rest of the country in terms of fuel distribution? Lol I’d love to witness you debate someone in your facility. And to further add to my retort, by how you make it sound, the national critical infrastructure of Long Island sucks..

So you’re comparing the vulnerabilities of a densely populated island in southeast NY state during a hurricane to every other possible natural disaster situation in the rest of the country in terms of fuel distribution? Lol I’d love to witness you debate someone in your facility. And to further add to my retort, by how you make it sound, the national critical infrastructure of Long Island sucks..
You need power to run gas pumps. This is the weirdest argument.

You need power to run gas pumps. This is the weirdest argument.
You don’t tho, in another one of my replies I mentioned that I’ve personally seen a gas storage tank configured for manual pumping after a bad tornado in the Midwest before, so it’s quite valid actually. They used a basic hand pump from a farm and home store like the ones you see on in-bed diesel tanks in the back of pick-ups.

You don’t tho, in another one of my replies I mentioned that I’ve personally seen a gas storage tank configured for manual pumping after a bad tornado in the Midwest before, so it’s quite valid actually. They used a basic hand pump from a farm and home store like the ones you see on in-bed diesel tanks in the back of pick-ups.

And this manual storage could sell gas to everyone in the community.
And people with power walls or those that can hook their ford lightening to their house are crushing it after big power outages. You can generate electricity and store it off grid. You cannot refine your own gas. Electricity seems much better prep if you’re truly worried about disasters.

Back
Top Bottom