Hiring Bid Experienced bid: FAA-ATO-17-ATCEXP-52850

I live in Los Angeles and I've heard the Pacific Southwest region is notoriously backed up on medical so expecting to hurry up and wait.

I lived in SoCal before starting with the FAA a few months ago. I believe the FAA has seen the bottleneck in the medical process as medicals are no longer limited to the region where you live. For example, my medical was cleared by the Great Lakes regional medical office.

And if you received a call from the FAA to retake your urinalysis, that is a good sign as they wouldn't want to pay for a third urinalysis in another six months.

Thanks for
I lived in SoCal before starting with the FAA a few months ago. I believe the FAA has seen the bottleneck in the medical process as medicals are no longer limited to the region where you live. For example, my medical was cleared by the Great Lakes regional medical office.

And if you received a call from the FAA to retake your urinalysis, that is a good sign as they wouldn't want to pay for a third urinalysis in another six months.

Thanks for the inside scoop. What did your placement list look like and did you get your number 1 choice?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the FAA office that called me to retake the drug test and it was the actual contracted company (EMSI & DNA testing) that called me, could be wrong though.

Thanks for the inside scoop. What did your placement list look like and did you get your number 1 choice?

I posted this in another thread.

Experience: 23 years total (10 years Tower-only and 13 years up-down)
7 x Tower certs; 1 x RAPCON cert

A11 - Anchorage TRACON - 8
CLE - Cleveland Tower - 8
CRP - Corpus Christi Tower - 9
DAB - Daytona Beach Tower - 9
FAT - Fresno Tower - 7
FSM - Fort Smith Tower - 7
GPT - Gulfport Tower - 7
GRR - Grand Rapids Tower - 7
ICT - Wichita Tower - 8
JAX - Jacksonville Tower - 9
MAF - Midland Tower - 7
MDT - Harrisburg Tower - 7
MSN - Madison Tower - 7
OKC - Oklahoma City Tower - 8
ORF - Norfolk Tower - 8
SBN - South Bend Tower - 7
TUL - Tulsa Tower - 8

So
I posted this in another thread.

Experience: 23 years total (10 years Tower-only and 13 years up-down)
7 x Tower certs; 1 x RAPCON cert

A11 - Anchorage TRACON - 8
CLE - Cleveland Tower - 8
CRP - Corpus Christi Tower - 9
DAB - Daytona Beach Tower - 9
FAT - Fresno Tower - 7
FSM - Fort Smith Tower - 7
GPT - Gulfport Tower - 7
GRR - Grand Rapids Tower - 7
ICT - Wichita Tower - 8
JAX - Jacksonville Tower - 9
MAF - Midland Tower - 7
MDT - Harrisburg Tower - 7
MSN - Madison Tower - 7
OKC - Oklahoma City Tower - 8
ORF - Norfolk Tower - 8
SBN - South Bend Tower - 7
TUL - Tulsa Tower - 8
Some great places. If you go JAX plan to stay unless you go sup or A80/LAX bid and you will get plenty of OT. I think Gulfport is an awesome place

Have you gotten the green check on all of your clearances? I'm just waiting on my medical clearance to go through. I live in Los Angeles and I've heard the Pacific Southwest region is notoriously backed up on medical so expecting to hurry up and wait.
Had to retake my drug test last Wednesday, Dec 13th and completed flight physical on Nov 29 and MMPI2 on Nov 9th.

I also live in Los Angeles, I sent in my medical, drug test (no 2nd drug test), MMPI2 all on or about The end of November.

So far they say they have received my drug test, but thats it.

*edit* just called Pam this morning, they have everything except the medical, she said 2-4 months.

Last edited:
I also live in Los Angeles, I sent in my medical, drug test (no 2nd drug test), MMPI2 all on or about The end of November.

So far they say they have received my drug test, but thats it.

*edit* just called Pam this morning, they have everything except the medical, she said 2-4 months.

Just called my POC and was told they received my drug test results and are just waiting for my medical so probably in the same boat as you.

Today is exactly 2 months since I finished medical. I called to check the status today and was told it is taking on average 4 - 6 months. I'll continue checking back in monthly. If something changes I will post it.

Today is exactly 2 months since I finished medical. I called to check the status today and was told it is taking on average 4 - 6 months. I'll continue checking back in monthly. If something changes I will post it.

Hey Bo,
Some people are getting their lists including myself. Finished my medical NOV 14th. Everything cleared on Dec 5th and got my list on Dec 28th I think. Was to be turned in by Jan 2nd. So if your medical and background is cleared it appears the lists come out a little over 2 weeks after.

Hey Bo,
Some people are getting their lists including myself. Finished my medical NOV 14th. Everything cleared on Dec 5th and got my list on Dec 28th I think. Was to be turned in by Jan 2nd. So if your medical and background is cleared it appears the lists come out a little over 2 weeks after.

Where did you do your medical? Just curious. I did all of mine in Sioux Falls, SD. I wonder if that plays a role in why it is taking longer for me.

Best of luck to you though. Congrats on getting your list!

I'm up in Washington State. I hand walked all my security crud to the regional office (I work just down the road from there). Went to one of their AMEs on the list for the med and the drug test place was an hour away. They lost my pee haha but was able to track it down (I kept that darn paper, thank goodness). Doc emailed me looking for it. Anyhow typical shenanigans.

Thank you very much and same to you, so excited for everyone!

MJ or anyone else, you have any idea how this gov shutdown will effect the pace of hiring for this bid? Also, is it just UFN at the moment or is there a end date? Can't find anything specific on it.

MJ or anyone else, you have any idea how this gov shutdown will effect the pace of hiring for this bid? Also, is it just UFN at the moment or is there a end date? Can't find anything specific on it.
Too early to know.

Too early to know.
Hmm. Well I hope its nice and brief like last year or whenever that last one was. I feel like I remember it passing soon after it started and didn't interrupt hiring too much. Good luck everyone. Haha. Thanks for the response btw.

Back
Top Bottom