Hiring Bid Experienced bid: FAA-ATO-17-ATCEXP-52850

We don't have a baseline comparison for this as there's never been two separate prior experience bids awaiting TOL's at the same time, but if we're simply speculating, I agree with sugarfoot and bo. With all the FAA has in motion now with N90, there is no way they allow those selected to continue along in the prior experience bid. It's two fold really. 1) It forces them to give N90 a shot. 2) If they wash, their NEST list would be widely dependant on their prior experience qualifications and would be similar to a prior experience list.

To update:
Selection process is complete. They actually went back and made additional selections.

In total...
957 referred
488 selected
469 not selected

With the N90 TOL's having already been distributed, this is the next list to drop.

To update:
Selection process is complete. They actually went back and made additional selections.

In total...
957 referred
488 selected
469 not selected

With the N90 TOL's having already been distributed, this is the next list to drop.

So perhaps this week, next week...?

To update:

In total...
957 referred
488 selected
469 not selected

Out of the 488 selected, what percentages will go to up-downs, en route, and tracons.

Is this something they are already taking into consideration or is it something they will decide at a later time down the road.

Last edited:
I
Out of the 488 selected, what percentages will go to up-downs, en route, and tracons.

Is this something they are already taking into consideration or is it something they will decide at a later time down the road.
would be willing to bet Zero go En-Route and less than 20 go to Tracon only.

I

would be willing to bet Zero go En-Route and less than 20 go to Tracon only.
I say this because I originally had a TOL for En-Route off a prior exp bid and then they sent me a list of terminals places. I was pumped to go to a center then they were like we screwed up pretty much. I even emailed and called to try to keep it. I was told I would go to the Academy and save pay from DoD meaning I wouldn't be making crap money at the academy. Majority will go to 7 and below up/downs with a few going tower only that have really slow prior exp locations as their ratings. A few big Air Force RAPCONS have shown the traffic volume that warrants a direct hire to a big TRACON, but even then those people aren't always successful just because they were at a saturated military base. It's a whole different aspect to Controlling. I rarely used speed prior to the FAA, if you don't use it now, you would vector your ass off and work twice as hard. Hell it would probably be impossible to keep seperation in some places

I say this because I originally had a TOL for En-Route off a prior exp bid and then they sent me a list of terminals places. I was pumped to go to a center then they were like we screwed up pretty much. I even emailed and called to try to keep it. I was told I would go to the Academy and save pay from DoD meaning I wouldn't be making crap money at the academy. Majority will go to 7 and below up/downs with a few going tower only that have really slow prior exp locations as their ratings. A few big Air Force RAPCONS have shown the traffic volume that warrants a direct hire to a big TRACON, but even then those people aren't always successful just because they were at a saturated military base. It's a whole different aspect to Controlling. I rarely used speed prior to the FAA, if you don't use it now, you would vector your ass off and work twice as hard. Hell it would probably be impossible to keep seperation in some places

Well it makes sense, thanks for breaking it down into greater detail though. A good friend of mine just showed up to Memphis TRACON and had the same thing to say about it, his phrasing was "speed, speed, and speed".

Here is to hoping the NCEPT 4Q & Prior Experience have good news for us today.

Last edited:
Talked with HR on Friday. Stephanie said they are still in the selection process and should be finishing that soon.

Talked with HR on Friday. Stephanie said they are still in the selection process and should be finishing that soon.

I spoke with them as well on Friday and was told by an HR Rep that the ATOs were nearing the end of the selection process. Sounds like a vague blanket statement to me. I'm sure breakaways information is accurate. There is no telling what "soon" means though.

I don't mind that this whole process takes an average of a year or more in a lot of cases. The frustrating thing is not knowing if you are going to get picked up or not for months, (as mentioned by sugarfoot) it is a very uneasy feeling. 4-6 months just to find out you need to look elsewhere for employment until the next bid, or continue on a temp job for an additional 8 months until you get a FOL is the farthest thing from ideal. It is mind blowing to me that after all these years they still can't figure out a system to decrease processing time. I understand that it involves a lot of moving parts, but usually there is a bottleneck in every system that can be improved.

Oh well, I will keep checking in a few times a week and hope we all get some news soon!

I called HR at around 1PM est today and Pam said they hadn't received any selections from ATO yet. I also talked to another lady about the dual TOL situation. She told me that accepting the N90 TOL didnt DQ you from the 52850 bid and that it wouldn't affect your chances. However, if you did receive a TOL from both, you'd have to deny or rescind your acceptance of the the N90 to process forward. Hope this helps someone.

I called HR at around 1PM est today and Pam said they hadn't received any selections from ATO yet. I also talked to another lady about the dual TOL situation. She told me that accepting the N90 TOL didnt DQ you from the 52850 bid and that it wouldn't affect your chances. However, if you did receive a TOL from both, you'd have to deny or rescind your acceptance of the the N90 to process forward. Hope this helps someone.

Poor Pam, dude. Every single time I've called I've talked to her. She always sounds so tired and beaten down from the endless phone calls and inquiries.

I think I'll call tomorrow to check on my application status.

Poor Pam, dude. Every single time I've called I've talked to her. She always sounds so tired and beaten down from the endless phone calls and inquiries.

Yeah, she's been one of two ladies that pick up the phone every time. Only takes like 2 rings too, haha. I'm gonna ask how many calls she gets a day next time I talk to her.

Did your phone call with HR go good today? Haha

To update...
Of the 488 selected, these were the qualifications...
Radar and CTO - 158
CTO only - 227
Radar only - 103

Last edited:
To update...
Of the 488 selected, these were the qualifications...
Radar and CTO - 158
CTO only - 227
Radar only - 103

The only information that could possibly be left to relay is the TOLs drop date or the first and last names of those selected. Haha

Last edited:
The only information that could possibly be left to relay is the TOLs drop date or the first and last names of those selected. Haha
haha I feel ya man. At this rate I feel like I'll get a full list of who was selected before you guys get your TOL's. Still no concrete date on when to expect it TOL's to be issued, but it has to be soon...

Back
Top Bottom