Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

I'm going to assume that having an prescription acne ointment isn't going to eliminate me. Do I need to schedule a medical exam before turning in the form asking for all the prescription medicines?

you’d be surprised. I remember some people running into issues in my bid about it. FAA has some weird standards sometimes.

As far as when to turn it in, I don’t remember. I don’t think it matters, they will just want the copy of your medexpress info to look it up.

You are right, they do approve deferments most of the time but I have also seen multiple people say they didn't approve their deferment, it all depends on what the FAA needs at the time.
Their first priority is filling classes. With the small amount of people getting hired, they may not be able to grant deferments like they have in the past. I'm not sure asking now will help though. My advice is to push your own clearance stuff back as far as possible. Like you can schedule your Medical for like 50 days after your CIL came in, it'll put you at the bottom of the list, and may put you close to where you need to be.

Also, some good news for you is that it looks like the first Basics classes start Feb 6th. So they only have, I think 14 classes to fill to get you to the middle of May, So they only need 252 people to completely fill all those classes.

FAA Catalog of Training

Last edited:
Their first priority is filling classes. With the small amount of people getting hired, they may not be able to grant deferments like they have in the past. I'm not sure asking now will help though. My advice is to push your own clearance stuff back as far as possible. Like you can schedule your Medical for like 50 days after your CIL came in, it'll put you at the bottom of the list, and may put you close to where you need to be.

Also, some good news for you is that it looks like the first Basics classes start Feb 6th. So they only have, I think 14 classes to fill to get you to the middle of May, So they only need 252 people to completely fill all those classes.

FAA Catalog of Training
It looks like there’s Terminal basics next month and January based on that list, or am I reading it wrong?

It looks like there’s Terminal basics next month and January based on that list, or am I reading it wrong?
I just see 11/30 and 2/06

En route has 12/06 and 12/12. But I HIGHLY doubt any of our stuff will be back in time for that. Then the next date is 2/21.

What are the class titles you guys are looking at for those dates? I looked at the Air Traffic Basics classes for terminal, TRACON, and enroute but didn't see any classes with the start dates that have been mentioned so far.

What are the class titles you guys are looking at for those dates? I looked at the Air Traffic Basics classes for terminal, TRACON, and enroute but didn't see any classes with the start dates that have been mentioned so far.
Yeah... You know what, you guys. I'm dumb. lol Looking at 2019.

First date for enroute is 12/13 or 1/2 or 1/9.
For terminal, it's 1/22 or 2/27

FAA Catalog of Training
I havent even received my EODS or CIL yet and i think there is a couple people in the same boat as me. I also see there is a march date but then there isn't another one until September(if i am reading it correctly). How reasonable do you think it will be for us to make that march date? Or do you think the people who are from pool 1 and the people who have all ready got some of there stuff done will fill all those classes and we will be waiting until September?

I havent even received my EODS or CIL yet and i think there is a couple people in the same boat as me. I also see there is a march date but then there isn't another one until September(if i am reading it correctly). How reasonable do you think it will be for us to make that march date? Or do you think the people who are from pool 1 and the people who have all ready got some of there stuff done will fill all those classes and we will be waiting until September?
There's a ton of class dates before that lower on the list. It's currently in order by class number, not start date.

Last edited:
Classes run continuously. There will be no month gaps. If you want to delay your start at the Academy take as long as listed possible in completing your medical. Beyond that it is really out of your control. You may ask the FAA to delay your start, if it is a legit reason they may accommodate you however they may not. For all you guys know you could be thrown into the 1-2 Tier 2 delay anyway and you'll be doing all this worrying for nothing.

Waiting on my EODS and CIL as well. Feels like everyone's getting ahead and will get academy dates before me, but I'm thankful for my TOL.

Back
Top Bottom