Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

We were told we could have a part time job as long as it doesnt interfere with class time, which for us was M-F 12-830pm (CST)
I would see what your current job says first while you wait to hear back ?
I know my employer would do it but they have all ready accepted a rescinded 2 week notice and im not trying to poke the bear lol thats why i want to hear from the FAA first before i bring it to my employer

So i have emailed my POC 3 times and called and left a voicemail but still no reply. I want confirm that you can work a part time job while doing the virtual onboarding because im not gonna sit and wait 6 to 8 months with my life in limbo for them to tell me i have to do it anyway. Just the base pay alone is not enought to afford my apartment and no i dont have the luxury of moving home with my parents. I plan on asking my employer if somehow they can take from off salary and put me on part time hourly. It may be possible we use to have part timers a couple years ago.
Basically, what im just asking is there anyway or number i can call to confirm that you can work a part time job and then get scheduled for the virtual online onboarding? And no i dont want to take your work for it. I have been on this earth long enough to know to make sure you confirm things for yourself.
I asked my POC the same question and they referred me to the academy to ask. I used the email on this page, Academy Contact Page, to reach out, had my message then forwarded to Aviation Careers, who confirmed that due to the current situation and completing the AT Basics virtually, I am allowed to work evening and weekend part-time hours. The requirement is that we be available during daytime hours when we would typically have training.

I know my employer would do it but they have all ready accepted a rescinded 2 week notice and im not trying to poke the bear lol thats why i want to hear from the FAA first before i bring it to my employer

During the onboarding the HR rep said that we can work outside the times of 0800 to 1700 during the week and anytime during weekends.

What about after you have completed online basics but the Academy hasn't reopened? Since you are no longer in class are you allowed to work then and are you still restricted on when you can work?

What about after you have completed online basics but the Academy hasn't reopened? Since you are no longer in class are you allowed to work then and are you still restricted on when you can work?

No one asked that specific question during my onboarding but it applies before you begin online basics so I would imagine it applies afterwards. Essentially they don't want their employees working during the hours they're paying for.

You go right into the 'academics portion' of the second phase. It's in quotes because it doesn't really count, there is no testing and you will do it all again in OKC. The reason we're taking it, as I was told, was to keep us gainfully employed and not just sitting around collecting a paycheck for nothing. 3 hours of class, and 5 hours of 'self study' per day.

Source: Doing it now.

You go right into the 'academics portion' of the second phase. It's in quotes because it doesn't really count, there is no testing and you will do it all again in OKC. The reason we're taking it, as I was told, was to keep us gainfully employed and not just sitting around collecting a paycheck for nothing. 3 hours of class, and 5 hours of 'self study' per day.

Source: Doing it now.
Do you still have to be on the Zoom call while you're self studying each day? Or is it only 3 hours of Zoom class?

I asked my POC the same question and they referred me to the academy to ask. I used the email on this page, Academy Contact Page, to reach out, had my message then forwarded to Aviation Careers, who confirmed that due to the current situation and completing the AT Basics virtually, I am allowed to work evening and weekend part-time hours. The requirement is that we be available during daytime hours when we would typically have training.
Thanks i appreciate it. I called a couple times and ledt a message . So ill let yall know when i hear back from them.

To anyone going through virtual onboarding, how long are y'all keeping the iPads? I'd assume that's limiting the amount of people they're pushing through online basics.

To anyone going through virtual onboarding, how long are y'all keeping the iPads? I'd assume that's limiting the amount of people they're pushing through online basics.

In virtual basics now. Wasn't really covered but from what I do know, as mentioned above, once we are done with basics we will go into the "academic portion" as accurately described by Utah and continue to use them. So im assuming either we will send them back once we are finished with the academics portion and go to OKC, or just bring them to OKC and turn them in when we get there. They seem to be pretty full with resources to assist us in practicing, so I can't see them taking them away if we have a period where there's no actual virtual learning to do in order to keep out skills up, but anything is possible.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot we even had them, I haven't touched it since I powered it up. It's so much more convenient to just use a laptop. I gotta find that thing again.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot we even had them, I haven't touched it since I powered it up. It's so much more convenient to just use a laptop. I gotta find that thing again.

Oh, thank god. Was worried that using the iPad was going to be enforced. I have a solid camera/mic setup on my desktop and that'll be so much easier than trying to setup an iPad for long duration use.

The bad news is that the the studying continues after online basics. Most of me is stoked at being able to study the academy materials in advance, but the pay is basically half of what I make currently. If the period between online basics and going to OKC stretches on, I'll be in for rough times. Fingers crossed, I suppose.

Oh, thank god. Was worried that using the iPad was going to be enforced. I have a solid camera/mic setup on my desktop and that'll be so much easier than trying to setup an iPad for long duration use.

The bad news is that the the studying continues after online basics. Most of me is stoked at being able to study the academy materials in advance, but the pay is basically half of what I make currently. If the period between online basics and going to OKC stretches on, I'll be in for rough times. Fingers crossed, I suppose.
I feel that. I'm a minority and am not joining the FAA for the pay...academy pay is considerably less than a quarter of what I was making in the past. It's a lifestyle change for sure. The point is moot though, my previous company went under due to COVID, so oddly enough I'm in a better position now than I would be if I didn't get hired by the FAA. I ended up swallowing my pride and moving in with my parents and living small. We'll get through it man.

I feel that. I'm a minority and am not joining the FAA for the pay...academy pay is considerably less than a quarter of what I was making in the past. It's a lifestyle change for sure. The point is moot though, my previous company went under due to COVID, so oddly enough I'm in a better position now than I would be if I didn't get hired by the FAA. I ended up swallowing my pride and moving in with my parents and living small. We'll get through it man.
Exactly what I did as well. Once I got my FOL I put my house up for rent. Tenants literally just moved in yesterday and I'm living out of a 10x12sqft room in my parents house. Everything I own besides my matress and a suitcase is in storage. Interesting times to laugh at in a few years, that's for sure....

Exactly what I did as well. Once I got my FOL I put my house up for rent. Tenants literally just moved in yesterday and I'm living out of a 10x12sqft room in my parents house. Everything I own besides my matress and a suitcase is in storage. Interesting times to laugh at in a few years, that's for sure....
I took it a step further and sold my entire life. Full sized, furnished 4bdrm house. Wood shop, outdoor decor, the works. Solid setup. I sold everything that wouldn't fit in my subcompact with a roof rack. I haven't been this light in a decade. It kinda sucked selling off the life I worked to build, but it's kinda exciting starting over new and fresh.

Back
Top Bottom