Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

is that really the average time it takes to certify? I was expecting 2+ years. I know it depends on where you go but generally speaking how long does it typically take?

sort by avg tt, looks like 3 months to 2.86 years for tower only facilities

also if you note that terminal academy grads can only go to 7 or below facilities the average looks like about a year to cpc give or take

Anyone with KH hear anything, when I got a hold of him Monday he said he was sending us everything at the same time and said it should be this week but it’s Friday and still nothing so jw if anyone else with him heard anything ugh lol
I have him too and haven’t gotten anything

Anyone with KH hear anything, when I got a hold of him Monday he said he was sending us everything at the same time and said it should be this week but it’s Friday and still nothing so jw if anyone else with him heard anything ugh lol
I have him too and haven’t gotten anything
I have KH as well. He replied to my email yesterday from last week. This is what he said:

"Right now we can only send so many EODs/CILs each month. Please be patient and when we get to your name we will send you your emails. Thanks!"

I have KH as well. He replied to my email yesterday from last week. This is what he said:

"Right now we can only send so many EODs/CILs each month. Please be patient and when we get to your name we will send you your emails. Thanks!"
yeah I have him too, and no EODs yet.

Enroute is only centers.

Terminal is tower only, up/downs, and tracons.

Enroute trainees can go to any level facility... I think the lowest center is an 8.

Terminal OTS trainees can only go to level 7 and below (so no stand alone tracons), occasionally a level 8 will be offered.
Thanks for the answer man. so how would one get the training after leaving the academy to go to a level 8 at some point in their career? we have been about 10 miles from SAV for the last 5 years for my current job and will want to come back at some point in the future if we got lucky enough. We love it here as it is fun and far away from family so they don't visit often lol.

Thanks for the answer man. so how would one get the training after leaving the academy to go to a level 8 at some point in their career?

Basically:

Certify

Put in your paperwork

Bid a sup job and hope you get a deviation because the NCEPT will never let you go

Basically:

Certify

Put in your paperwork

Bid a sup job and hope you get a deviation because the NCEPT will never let you go

For the record I read the ERR faq, I just want to see if I understand correctly since I’m new to all these acronyms and terms. So basically the NCEPT is the facility for handling ERR requests? And deviations are approvals to ERRs? And why would one have such a tough time trying to move around that the NCEPT wouldn’t let you go somewhere else?

Thanks for the answer man. so how would one get the training after leaving the academy to go to a level 8 at some point in their career? we have been about 10 miles from SAV for the last 5 years for my current job and will want to come back at some point in the future if we got lucky enough. We love it here as it is fun and far away from family so they don't visit often lol.
No matter what happens at the academy, you’d have almost no shot at getting SAV off the bat.

If you get enroute, go get certified, then ERR to SAV. You‘d transfer in at the top of their pay band and then get to go to the academy again for Terminal. But in that case it’s pass/ pass.

Either way, hypothetically, any controller can move from/ to any facility in the FAA.

For the record I read the ERR faq, I just want to see if I understand correctly since I’m new to all these acronyms and terms. So basically the NCEPT is the facility for handling ERR requests? And deviations are approvals to ERRs? And why would one have such a tough time trying to move around that the NCEPT wouldn’t let you go somewhere else?
NCEPT is supposed to handle all ERRs. If the place where you currently work is understaffed, or the facility you want to go to is over staffed, your ERR doesn’t get processed.

if you bid a management job (outside the ERR process) they don’t care what staffing numbers are since you’re making “career advancement” they can’t deny you that under civil service rules I believe.

There are a lot of people who can’t move facilities because of the NCEPT process which was introduced almost 5 years ago now.

NCEPT is supposed to handle all ERRs. If the place where you currently work is understaffed, or the facility you want to go to is over staffed, your ERR doesn’t get processed.

if you bid a management job (outside the ERR process) they don’t care what staffing numbers are since you’re making “career advancement” they can’t deny you that under civil service rules I believe.

There are a lot of people who can’t move facilities because of the NCEPT process which was introduced almost 5 years ago now.
Would you say getting a sup position is fairly attainable? Do they need a lot of supervisors right now? Do people typically want to sign up for it?
I know they’re not ATCs, so what exactly do they do?

Would you say getting a sup position is fairly attainable? Do they need a lot of supervisors right now? Do people typically want to sign up for it?
They are still ATCs. They just sit at the computer and work 4 hours a month

I thought I wanted to be a sup once upon a time..........that didn’t last long.

Most people say it’s the worst job in the agency.

What makes it the worst?
Let me preface this response with this: It’s fine if you have aspirations to be a sup, BUT do not mention to your coworkers your intentions. Wait until after you certify and apply for jobs. Again, I would keep it on the down-low.

So here are the reasons.
1. You are generally hated as a sup by controllers.
2. Upper management give you all the busy work.
3. So much BS paperwork that is not fun.
4. A lot of people bid sup jobs to bypass NCEPT or because they are afraid of working busy traffic. If that’s you, that’s fine, just know that controllers talk.
5. We, as controllers, get many breaks throughout the day, sups, not nearly as much.
6. The pay increase isn’t all that great considering you don’t get all the premium pay that controllers get. Yes, generally sups make more base pay but not necessarily after training pay, CIC pay, and Overtime is factored in.

Those are just the few reasons I can think of on the top of my head. I’m sure there are more.

All that being said, the only reason I can possibly think of being a sup is if you aspire to be in upper management, such as an Air Traffic Manager. In that case, being a supervisor is a necessary step.

Let me preface this response with this: It’s fine if you have aspirations to be a sup, BUT do not mention to your coworkers your intentions. Wait until after you certify and apply for jobs. Again, I would keep it on the down-low.

So here are the reasons.
4. A lot of people bid sup jobs to bypass NCEPT or because they are afraid of working busy traffic. If that’s you, that’s fine, just know that controllers talk.
5. We, as controllers, get many breaks throughout the day, sups, not nearly as much.
6. The pay increase isn’t all that great considering you don’t get all the premium pay that controllers get. Yes, generally sups make more base pay but not necessarily after training pay, CIC pay, and Overtime is factored in.

Those are just the few reasons I can think of on the top of my head. I’m sure there are more.

All that being said, the only reason I can possibly think of being a sup is if you aspire to be in upper management, such as an Air Traffic Manager. In that case, being a supervisor is a necessary step.

so why are sups hated, is it due to poor leadership/management/people skills, or that they have to enforce whatever their boss tells them to do and they end up doing it in an inefficient or tyrannical way or what, or that the nature of the job necessitates the perception that they are "the bad guy" ?

S

So here are the reasons.

So my brother works for a different government agency and at his, they are able to become a sup for 2 years and then step down to his regular position and be at the sup pay grade -1 step and essentially skip almost 10 years of raises in 2, is that the case here?

so why are sups hated, is it due to poor leadership/management/people skills, or that they have to enforce whatever their boss tells them to do and they end up doing it in an inefficient or tyrannical way or what, or that the nature of the job necessitates the perception that they are "the bad guy" ?
Well, maybe “hate” is a strong word. But they are tasked to enforce agency directives and what not but sometimes they overstep. A good sup can make your life at work easy and a bad sup can make your life hell.

Controllers are generally very good at running a shift without a sup. Sometimes the sup is just an extra cook in the kitchen if ya know what I mean.

A lot of time they are the bad guys for disapproving leave and shift changes for reason that don’t make sense. They use some BS excuse like “denied for staffing” even though we have plenty on people to run a shift. And that’s just one of many examples.

So here are the reasons.

About pay: the higher base will raise your retirement. So doing it for 3 years at the end of your career could be good. But the old sups in their last couple years seem way more liked.

Back
Top Bottom