FAA no longer covering coronavirus leave, or just our facility?

We have several controllers and tech ops that tested positive a week and a half ago. Now a new controller in our area tested positive yesterday and is told he must use his own sick leave for a mandatory 10 day quarantine and will never be reimbursed...when he likely got coronavirus from one of the other 4 positive people at work.

How does this make sense? They're telling us to wear masks, yet we're not getting hazard pay. we're giving each other covid at work while trying to be safe, AND we MUST quarantine for 10 days if we test positive and have no symptoms?? Is this happening everywhere?

Same at my facility. The way that it was described to me by our NATCA rep is that the agency is using our CBA against us in this scenario. If you are symptomatic you are therefore "incapacitated" and must be afforded sick leave in accordance with the slate book.

We actually had both instances in my facility.

Controller A tests positive and must use his own sick leave for the mandatory quarantine set by the Flight Surgeon.

Controller B who worked with and amongst Controller A tests negative and is asymptomatic was placed on mandatory quarantine by the Flight Surgeon, BUT was afforded admin leave for his quarantine.

Same at my facility. The way that it was described to me by our NATCA rep is that the agency is using our CBA against us in this scenario. If you are symptomatic you are therefore "incapacitated" and must be afforded sick leave in accordance with the slate book.

Controller A tests positive and must use his own sick leave for the mandatory quarantine set by the Flight Surgeon.

Controller B who worked with and amongst Controller A tests negative and is asymptomatic was placed on mandatory quarantine by the Flight Surgeon, BUT was afforded admin leave for his quarantine.
Sounds like the boot is coming as a consequence of some on excused abusing it.

Side note, was there not an MOU about use or lose due to COVID about leave carrying over to next year?

How am I suppose to use any of this pto if I can’t even work

they should let ppl sell it back like they do at only N90...

then you could afford flash cards and to laminate all those maps theyre gonna make you redo

they should let ppl sell it back like they do at only N90...

then you could afford flash cards and to laminate all those maps theyre gonna make you redo
We had that, at A80, a few years back. Why someone would sell leave back at 100% blows my mind though. If they paid a premium for you not taking it, okay, but not at the current value. Hell, roll it over to next year and theoretically it is more valuable when you actual take leave. A couple of people sold back leave including two non union members. I guess you have to cut back somewhere because dues are too expensive...

If I come down with Covid and they tell me I have to use sick leave, what’s stopping me from saying I’m asymptomatic and just coming into work and causing a scene?

Last edited:
I just got done with some of that controller B leave. Seems to be a lot of it starting to pop up. I survived, and my tan and beer belly are on point.

If I come down with Covid and they tell me I have to use sick leave, what’s stopping me from saying I’m asymptomatic and just coming into work and causing a scene?
Isn't someone being charged with attempted murder after coughing on someone (intentionally)

Isn't someone being charged with attempted murder after coughing on someone (intentionally)

Think I heard that. But unless the law/agency says they can't come in, then showing up to work sick will quickly change the tune of those coming up with these moronic interpretations. (And arriving at work sick or asymptomatic is not the same as deliberate coughing on someone)

Back
Top Bottom