FAA Reauthorization Act of 2023

Every new hire will be this, and I fear for the future of ATC
Tik-Tok-trend-men-haircut-2022-fall-broccoli-hair.webp

Yooooo N345 turn right headin 3-6-0 fr fr

N345 cleared visual approach, that expedited descent I asked for was fireeeeee

Traffic, 12 o’clock, 5 miles, air bussin 320 ayyyyyy, 5000’

visual separation in the flight levels, i seen't it been done. Lol. Not talking fl180 either, 20+.

Every new hire will be this, and I fear for the future of ATC
Tik-Tok-trend-men-haircut-2022-fall-broccoli-hair.webp

Yooooo N345 turn right headin 3-6-0 fr fr

N345 cleared visual approach, that expedited descent I asked for was fireeeeee

Traffic, 12 o’clock, 5 miles, air bussin 320 ayyyyyy, 5000’

This is like when the boomer Tech Ops people in my facility were joking about the FAA with their "gamer" hiring advertisements. Well, what a surprise nearly every male radar controller Ive known under the age of 40 plays video games. Just like nearly every male tower controller under 40 does too. Shitting on the younger generation is a tale as old as time.

Oh and people complaining about knowing /A and all that bs. Unless you're at a center most of that is meaningless knowledge.

What’s your proposed solution?

CTI schools are borderline scams and putting a financial barrier on hiring is immoral.

If you had pre-employment knowledge tests, you run the very real risk of people learning the wrong way to do things with little to no benefit.

Get rid of the ATSA? Then we’ll be paying people’s way to MMAC that can’t do basic math, have no logic skills, and have shit awareness.
Not every CTI school is a scam. There’s a buyer beware component, they aren’t all created equal and they don’t produce perfect people each time, but there’s value in hiring people who are informed and interested enough in the career field to spend their own money specializing in it. It helps weed out people who aren’t serious about it. Thinking about it more, What job doesn’t have some kind of financial cost of entry that isn’t an unskilled hourly retail job?

They lowered the bar on the ATSA in accordance with what the barrier analysis recommended they do. They said lowering the score to pass will lead to more diversity in the hiring pool but they don’t address the issues in the next paragraph that shows lowered atsat thresholds means a 15% drop in people who certify at their first facility. 15% of all the hires each year since 2014 would make a big dent in the lack of staffing we face

This is like when the boomer Tech Ops people in my facility were joking about the FAA with their "gamer" hiring advertisements. Well, what a surprise nearly every male radar controller Ive known under the age of 40 plays video games. Just like nearly every male tower controller under 40 does too. Shitting on the younger generation is a tale as old as time.

Oh and people complaining about knowing /A and all that bs. Unless you're at a center most of that is meaningless knowledge.
You need to know /A. Just because it’s not a common thing doesn’t mean you don’t need to know it. An inflight engine failure is also rare, do you think pilots don’t need to know it? Every random bit of knowledge you can put in your head is something that might help you save a life down the line.

Last edited:
You need to know /A. Just because it’s not a common thing doesn’t mean you don’t need to know it. An inflight engine failure is also rare, do you think pilots don’t need to know it? Every random bit of knowledge you can put in your head is something that might help you save a life down the line.
Wait are there controllers that don’t know what slant Alfa is. Holy shit.

What about an IMC recovery having priority over IFR departure? 😁

So getting back on track... we are a minimum of 360 days out from getting the CRWG numbers enacted (180 days + 180 days). Am I reading that right?
My interpretation:

From when the bill is enacted:
The National Academy of Science has up to 180 days to evaluate the CRWG #s and then brief the FAA administrator on their findings.
No later than 180 days after the FAA administrator is briefed, the FAA administrator must submit a report to congress.

Final due date for everything is September 30, 2024.

You’ve never cleared someone direct a fix?

Ive cleared plenty of people direct to a fix. The pilot will let me know if he can or can't do something and I'll go from there. Memorizing a bunch of equipment suffixes was something I did the first year in ATC and then never used it again. Its like memorizing the frequencies of every VOR and all that. Pointless to memorize, simply be able to find the info quickly when necessary.

My interpretation:

From when the bill is enacted:
The National Academy of Science has up to 180 days to evaluate the CRWG #s and then brief the FAA administrator on their findings.
No later than 180 days after the FAA administrator is briefed, the FAA administrator must submit a report to congress.

Final due date for everything is September 30, 2024.
Ayyyye might actually make it out of my overstaffed Z 😎

Ive cleared plenty of people direct to a fix. The pilot will let me know if he can or can't do something and I'll go from there. Memorizing a bunch of equipment suffixes was something I did the first year in ATC and then never used it again. Its like memorizing the frequencies of every VOR and all that. Pointless to memorize, simply be able to find the info quickly when necessary.
Or you can just know the capabilities of the planes your working.

With their 3 kids, don’t forget t
So getting back on track... we are a minimum of 360 days out from getting the CRWG numbers enacted (180 days + 180 days). Am I reading that right?
The crwg numbers won’t get used until congress agrees to fund it. You can’t say your center needs 320 people and you only have 275 and the faa not send you anybody. That’s fucked. We are just gonna implement a system with no financial backing? Everyone will be stuck literally everywhere. Maybe that’s what they want.

Back
Top Bottom