FAA Reauthorization Act of 2023

This is the most boomer shit I’ve ever seen posted on here
I would be in agreement had it not been for a similar situation in my area the last year with a trainee with a similar haircut. I was working OT and d side trainee I don’t ever see was monitoring my sector. Keep in mind this guy is white. Two planes close so I’m looking at their routes. Idiot says “you finna shortcut one uh em?” I didn’t respond. Guy checks on I climb them and they didn’t respond. Trainee let’s out a “bruhh.” After a while of trying them and conclude he is NORDO I call the supe over. Supe says “what’s up” while I’m talking to some planes. Trainee starts explaining the situation since I’m talking to planes and then let’s out “we even aksd his company.” I turned to the kid and asked him. Are you being blatantly racist or are you just an idiot and talking that way because I’m sitting next to you?” His nickname from then on was Prison Mike until we washed him 3 months later because it was an area consensus that we would rather work short than have to work with that guy for the next 15 years.

Call me a boomer.

I would be in agreement had it not been for a similar situation in my area the last year with a trainee with a similar haircut. I was working OT and d side trainee I don’t ever see was monitoring my sector. Keep in mind this guy is white. Two planes close so I’m looking at their routes. Idiot says “you finna shortcut one uh em?” I didn’t respond. Guy checks on I climb them and they didn’t respond. Trainee let’s out a “bruhh.” After a while of trying them and conclude he is NORDO I call the supe over. Supe says “what’s up” while I’m talking to some planes. Trainee starts explaining the situation since I’m talking to planes and then let’s out “we even aksd his company.” I turned to the kid and asked him. Are you being blatantly racist or are you just an idiot and talking that way because I’m sitting next to you?” His nickname from then on was Prison Mike until we washed him 3 months later because it was an area consensus that we would rather work short than have to work with that guy for the next 15 years.

Call me a boomer.
Boomer

Looks like a bunch of stuff pushed so far out into 100 workgroups. N don’t see anything about compensation
A Reauth bill is not the vehicle for that.
Ayyyye might actually make it out of my overstaffed Z 😎
From what I've heard, NCEPT release #s are not going to change to the CRWG staffing #s. They're staying the same.
What’s your proposed solution?

CTI schools are borderline scams and putting a financial barrier on hiring is immoral.

If you had pre-employment knowledge tests, you run the very real risk of people learning the wrong way to do things with little to no benefit.

Get rid of the ATSA? Then we’ll be paying people’s way to MMAC that can’t do basic math, have no logic skills, and have shit awareness.
As a CTI grad, I agree. A system in which you pay to go to school for a career you might not ever have a shot at, or be successful in is not a sound practice.
I do think there should be a reward to candidates for a vested interest in the career but you shouldn't have to show that by paying for school.

If I could change one thing about hiring it would be this:
Phase out CTI bids. Replace with an RPO track or at least give preferential treatment to those with RPO experience. Go work at the academy or a facility as an RPO, certified for at least a year, and get the opportunity for a class date.

I'm not saying RPOs are guaranteed to be successful or any better than off the street. But anecdotally, as a former academy RPO, a lot of us had a chip on our shoulder and worked a lot harder to be successful at this career. I would bet that the overall success rate of the 100 RPOs I knew at the academy was higher than the general public.

From what I've heard, NCEPT release #s are not going to change to the CRWG staffing #s. They're staying the same.

As a CTI grad, I agree. A system in which you pay to go to school for a career you might not ever have a shot at, or be successful in is not a sound practice.
I do think there should be a reward to candidates for a vested interest in the career but you shouldn't have to show that by paying for school.

Phase out CTI bids. Replace with an RPO track or at least give preferential treatment to those with RPO experience. Go work at the academy or a facility as an RPO, certified for at least a year, and get the opportunity for a class date.

I'm not saying RPOs are guaranteed to be successful or any better than off the street. But anecdotally, as a former academy RPO, a lot of us had a chip on our shoulder and worked a lot harder to be successful at this career. I would bet that the overall success rate of the 100 RPOs I knew at the academy was higher than the general public.
Also a CTI Grad, CTI is an option that you don't have to do. And it's highly dependent on the School you go to, Texas State Technical College had former Academy instructors teaching us. And yes, a CTI grad is probably more valuable than someone off the street with zero ATC experience.

As a former RPO I would have agreed with you until having to deal with some of the RPOs at my facility.

Holy shit. Don't get me wrong, there are a few of them that are really, really good. But damn, wherever they're finding them now... At both of the facilities I remoted at there were people who would legit wash. They would hire former controllers or people with aviation experience. Now it's just off the street with little to no screen. Funny metaphor, really.

Some of our trainees have complained about remoting next to an RPO who is blatantly on their phone during problems and they can't multitask worth a shit. I think everyone at a center can agree that a good RPO can really help in the lab when you're trying to get over that last hurdle before certification. A bad one can really fuck up a problem. Maybe it's just a culture thing. Our DYSIM and training department is notoriously run TERRIBLY.

I'm just amazed at the lack of work ethic or trying to get better amongst some people. Maybe I'm finally getting old. But I feel like it's been a thing in every generation.

As a former RPO I would have agreed with you until having to deal with some of the RPOs at my facility.

Holy shit. Don't get me wrong, there are a few of them that are really, really good. But damn, wherever they're finding them now... At both of the facilities I remoted at there were people who would legit wash. They would hire former controllers or people with aviation experience. Now it's just off the street with little to no screen. Funny metaphor, really.

Some of our trainees have complained about remoting next to an RPO who is blatantly on their phone during problems and they can't multitask worth a shit. I think everyone at a center can agree that a good RPO can really help in the lab when you're trying to get over that last hurdle before certification. A bad one can really fuck up a problem. Maybe it's just a culture thing. Our DYSIM and training department is notoriously run TERRIBLY.

I'm just amazed at the lack of work ethic or trying to get better amongst some people. Maybe I'm finally getting old. But I feel like it's been a thing in every generation.
It's not you. I have a PPL, Dispatch license and an associates in ATC. They said I wasn't qualified for an RPO position. I think they're purposefully hiring people with little to no aviation experience.

Discussing CRWG and thinking staffing levels are gonna improve is pretty futile when leaders of the RSC just released their budget proposal saying federal employees are overpaid, don't pay enough for healthcare, and don't deserve retirement.

I'm aware that not much of this stands a chance of making it through the pipeline into anything that might come out the other end. But when this is the starting position of 2/3rds of house Republicans it is laughable to think that - in however-many-months when work group reports funnel to the vice-regional co-director Grand Poohbah and they eventually funnel that up to the house committees - congress would look at it and nod their heads in friendly bipartisan agreement that they need to enthusiastically spend significantly more money on a federal agency.

Back
Top Bottom