Facility Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanatical

⭐SuperStar
I just got a class date for terminal and was wondering about how the academy does final facility selection.

I know most of the basics (pick by class order, etc.), but say for a graduating class of 7 do they only give you 7 choices? Say I was looking for a facility that was a priority, PIA for example, and it wasn't on "the list", could we request that it be added?

Not really sure how that plays out and it makes me nervous.

I just got a class date for terminal and was wondering about how the academy does final facility selection.

I know most of the basics (pick by class order, etc.), but say for a graduating class of 7 do they only give you 7 choices? Say I was looking for a facility that was a priority, PIA for example, and it wasn't on "the list", could we request that it be added?

Not really sure how that plays out and it makes me nervous.
I think it’s one slot per graduate and no requests unless maybe for an OCONUS hard to staff spot. What goes on the list is out of your control and expect to be placed far away from where you want to be. When/if the time comes for you to select THEN worry about it.

PIA, ick. They lost their level 6 (scam that the big facilities arent even eligible for) and even lost their AHL hockey team.

I'm pretty sure the draconian nature of facility placement gives you 0 leverage in choosing where you get to go, short of picking in order based on class rank off the list they give you. This is why everyone stuck at small unfairly downgraded facilities is at each other's throat and the NCEPT threads are most popular. The kings at the country clubs will never willingly abdicate their throne!

Or
PIA, ick. They lost their level 6 (scam that the big facilities arent even eligible for) and even lost their AHL hockey team.

I'm pretty sure the draconian nature of facility placement gives you 0 leverage in choosing where you get to go, short of picking in order based on class rank off the list they give you. This is why everyone stuck at small unfairly downgraded facilities is at each other's throat and the NCEPT threads are most popular. The kings at the country clubs will never willingly abdicate their throne!
Or maybe everyone is unhappy and arguing with coworkers because before they've even at the Academy we all tell them they aren't going where they want. They won't be able to transfer. And being a trainee sucks. Didn't you guys get your RESPECT briefing yet? Grumbling and complaining spreads like wildfire. I'm going to start a more positive, adventurous attitude.

Unfortunately original poster they only give you the number of slots as people graduating the class and they do not allow you to request a different facility. Occasionally facilities such as Juneau, St. Thomas or San Juan are additional available outside the contiguous US options. So if you pass the Academy and you get the list of places to select from (typically you get this list a few days before evaluations) you can either pick as close to home as possible, look for the best staffed facilities so you could hopefully transfer after you become a CPC, or you can embark on an adventure to a new area of the country.

Good Advice, GPB. Either you want the opportunity to be an Controller or not, yes there are some stuck in lower level facilities. The FAA ATC community is small and someone at the facility you want, knows someone at your facility. and what I can tell you that is that, if you are a chronic complainer in a lower level facility, it is passed on. the larger facility does not want you.
stop the I have to get it now mentality. There are 100's of other facilities to go to. I moved 6 times in my FAA career to get that where I wanted to be.. "king of the country club" that Pushing tin referred to.
redsphanatic My advise is jump in with both feet and start your life and FAA career the best things that will happen to you is something unforeseen to you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom