FSS

Including Alaska locality, FSS pay starts around 75k for a CPC, and max is around 105k.
Academy Grad pay is about 50k, D3 (they don't have D1/D2) is 67ish-75ish.
How do you get your foot in the door for an FSS job? Do you have to be a federal employee already? and what's the training required?

They occasionally have public hires on USAJobs. The last one was August of 2017 I think.
Other ways in are NEST recommendations for air traffic developmentals that don't have many certifications. But only a handful go that route.
They have their own Academy for FSS and it's in Kenai I think.

If you wash from a FAA facility and get offered FSS from the NEST is there a path back to ATC or are you there for good?

If you wash from a FAA facility and get offered FSS from the NEST is there a path back to ATC or are you there for good?
They like to imply it or might straight up lie and say that while there is no path now there could certainly be a path back to ATC in the future, but there is not one and I doubt there ever will be. They like to say that or else basically nobody would take those jobs through NEST.

Alaskan FSS at hubs will also occasionally be offered assignments at other "Bush" stations in Alaska where they'll earn more money and per diem.
Though bear /moose encounters tend to increase

They like to imply it or might straight up lie and say that while there is no path now there could certainly be a path back to ATC in the future, but there is not one and I doubt there ever will be. They like to say that or else basically nobody would take those jobs through NEST.

Yes you wash out, go to flight service, become a supervisor, and years later move back to be an FLM in the same area and center that you washed out of to supervisor those controllers that trained you.

Back
Top Bottom