Government Shutdown

For those that may need it, USAA and Navy Fed may have government shutdown loans if it goes on long enough. If I remember correctly Navy Fed offered a 0% interest loan that was equal to you average 2 week pay up to 6k. They would take their payment back from your accnt after you get paid and the gov reopens.

For those that may need it, USAA and Navy Fed may have government shutdown loans if it goes on long enough. If I remember correctly Navy Fed offered a 0% interest loan that was equal to you average 2 week pay up to 6k. They would take their payment back from your accnt after you get paid and the gov reopens.

I remember USAA offering me that when I was active duty but not FAA.

A natca rep at my facility told all us noobies that skyone will give 0% interest loans during a shutdown even if you're not a member

Last edited:
It’s entertaining to see the loads of people on FB blaming Trump for this when it happens all the time and the worst one in recent memory happened in 2013 under Obama

Well, it is Trump's fault. He promised a border wall that would be paid by Mexico. Now he expects US citizens to foot the bill after making all these promises. Honestly, who's fault do you think this is? You can try to spin this all you want, you can try and say the wall is needed or not needed. But the fact of the matter is, he promised that the US wouldn't have to spend a penny on his wall and now it's been proven he lied.

Side note: Good job trying to shift the blame to Obama. You can always tell who's delusional when they try to shift the blame. I'm guessing you think the current market crash is Obama's fault too huh?

Well, it is Trump's fault. He promised a border wall that would be paid by Mexico. Now he expects US citizens to foot the bill after making all these promises. Honestly, who's fault do you think this is? You can try to spin this all you want, you can try and say the wall is needed or not needed. But the fact of the matter is, he promised that the US wouldn't have to spend a penny on his wall and now it's been proven he lied.

Side note: Good job trying to shift the blame to Obama. You can always tell who's delusional when they try to shift the blame. I'm guessing you think the current market crash is Obama's fault too huh?
It's cute how naive you are to think that either party is different from the other.

Almost every private company has a family leave policy as well as the military. As an atc I am unable to purchase short term disability insurance and I am not eligible for my state's short term disability. The only option I have is to use every bit of leave I earn plus go negative in sick leave to care for my children. Seems unfair. They should at the very least offer us short term disability insurance.

Check out fedadvantage.com. They offer short term and long term disability and includes maternity I believe. Much better than UNUM.

Check out fedadvantage.com. They offer short term and long term disability and includes maternity I believe. Much better than UNUM.
I agree. I had UNUM. NATCA pushes it and I thought at the time it was the only one available. I’ve mentioned before on here about fedadvantage. It’s a great product and not many ATC know about it.

Last edited:
So we have a controller that had to take his wife to the hospital today on SL which will be shown as furlough. We know that for him to get paid for the day Congress will have to pass the back pay, but some folks are confused on if the SL will be deducted from his balance after the fact. I assume he will get to keep his SL but can someone confirm if this is the case.

So we have a controller that had to take his wife to the hospital today on SL which will be shown as furlough. We know that for him to get paid for the day Congress will have to pass the back pay, but some folks are confused on if the SL will be deducted from his balance after the fact. I assume he will get to keep his SL but can someone confirm if this is the case.
No it is either unpaid furlough or back paid furlough

I'm onboarding with the faa in early Jan. I was told if the shutdown is still going on I will be furloughed. My question is could I delay my onboard date this late in the game and stay in the dod untill this gets sorted out? Also I was told I can't take travel leave until I get there and swear in then I can take leave. Can I swear in at a faa facility closer to home instead?

I have no personal experience with any of that but I will say that none of it makes sense. How could you be furloughed if you’re not even an employee yet? I get that your DOD but that’s between you and the DOD. I don’t understand how the FAA could even backpay you if you’re not even an employee yet. I bet the guys who got their class date moved back don’t get backpay. Their class was going to start 12/27 and now it’s not - end of story.
To make things more clear. If it still going on I will be furloughed the day I arrive and swear in.

Back
Top Bottom