Government Shutdown

I swear there is so much misinformation in this thread it is embarrassing. Stop regurgitating propaganda and educate yourselves by performing your own research. Reading specifics is always better than hearing generalities, especially when folks are trying to persuade others into a course of action.

For example, there was no agreement - only a proposal - to fund the wall at $2 billion before Trump threatened to veto the appropriations bill that would have kept the government open. How many of you knew the Administration has been seeking $12.7 billion total for numerous immigration-related provisions with only $5.7 billion of that for a wall? See the letter from OMB to the Chairs and Ranking Members of the Senate and House Appropriations Committees: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Final-Shelby-1-6-19.pdf

Do better or do nothing --- fuckery is not appreciated.

So the TSA got cash bonuses of $500, plus one days pay. Presumably to appease them for being unpaid and mitigate SL usage? Since there are something like 3.5 times less air traffic controllers; $1750 plz. Thx. :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
So the TSA got cash bonuses of $500, plus one days pay. Presumably to appease them for being unpaid and mitigate SL usage? Since there are something like 3.5 times less air traffic controllers; $1750 plz. Thx. :whistle:
Yeah I know right? It’s because they’re visible to the public and their actions are more noticed by the public, no one wants to wait in a 2 hr security line because only one lane is open or an entire checkpoint is shut down. They don’t give a shit about us becasue we are well compensated and no one really remembers we’re here, and we can’t do any kind of slowdown to make them notice. Not in a big way anyway. I know people working slower but it’s not really creating any noticeable effect.
I mean I’m of the opinion we’re working for DELAYED pay, not no pay, and there’s definitely a difference — but so are they. They don’t need special treatment either. Or give it to us too then, because #sympathy. We’re going through it too.

For example, there was no agreement - only a proposal - to fund the wall at $2 billion before Trump threatened to veto the appropriations bill that would have kept the government open.

It had already passed the senate on Dec 19. McConnel introduced it to the house and was set to pass it in the house and trump had said he would sign it. Then Coulter and limbough called him a pussy and that’s when he reneged and upped the demand to $5bil, then 5.6bil, then 5.7bil

I've always felt that as long as there is uncertainty about backpay for non-essential employees, it's not unreasonable that they get backpay and we don't. As soon as they get a backpay guarantee though, that's a different story.

So TSA gets $500, eh. So we have to work for our backpay and non-essential get's to stay home for their backpay, errrggghh. So furlough for non-essential enployees means backpay and furlough for essential employees means we'll be backcharged leave, W.T.F. So T.S.A can effectively sick-out and get their way by impacting the public but the F.A.A now is tracking our sick leave with possible reprimand intent EVEN if it's legit- G.T.F.O.

And the cherry on top, the law that says S.T.F.U and go to work you little pricks. (Which I understand and agree with to the extent of safety). Cannot laws be changed, or is even suggesting we work to change the law considered a "job action" these days?

Can we be more subdued? So much for "controlling" anything! At this rate, I guarantee 5 years after going private they slash our salaries in half and implement a policy where management can physically beat us if they want.

And also, I don't fully understand the semantics of the government recognizing they are going to backpay all non-essential employees and saying at the same time to stay home.
At that point, why aren't they required to work for "delayed pay" as well?

Controllers have been treated worse than TSA during this shutdown. That is now an empirical fact. I thought controllers had such amazing relationships in Capitol Hill? Free month vacation for those who didnt work a minute, while the controllers get nothing but threats and even multiple emails to "stay in line!!!". SMH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we be more subdued? So much for "controlling" anything! At this rate, I guarantee 5 years after going private they slash our salaries in half and implement a policy where management can physically beat us if they want.
I'm glad we voted Paul and Trish back in to do just that. Cant wait! /s

Controllers have been treated worse than TSA during this shutdown. That is now an empirical fact. I thought controllers had such amazing relationships in Capitol Hill? Free month vacation for those who didnt work a minute, while the controllers get nothing but threats and even multiple emails to "stay in line!!!". SMH.
Where are your union dues and PAC money going to since it doesnt seem to be influencing congressmen anymore

Where are your union dues and PAC money going to since it doesnt seem to be influencing congressmen anymore

great questions!

iStock_000015180428XSmall.jpg-child-shrug.jpg

Does it not make complete sense that out of 800,000 federal employees it is the 10-12K of us... and ONLY US... that need to detach from the federal budget? Cause I thought that was like, the most perfect logic ever. Duh.

Or am I completely ignorant and every other union in the govt is pushing for privatization too?

I’ll make a topic on this later, but wait for the other shoe of “stable and predictable funding” and “let no good political crisis go to waste, so we need to back privatisation again.”

This seems like the obvious next play in the playbook. I'm just concerned that it doesnt seem NATCA has much pull. Considering TSA is getting bonuses and ATC is getting a double secret sick leave list and members are getting nothing but emails from lawyers and reps talking about how anyything short of working for nothing and liking it; is either immoral, illegal, unprofessional, or all 3!

I’ll wait to see how NATCA’s lawsuit turns out before throwing stones. There is a good chance, based on results from another unions lawsuit against the gov in 2013, we stand to gain a lot more than $500. In that other lawsuit, the judge found against the gov and required them to pay each worker involved in the suit roughly $7.25 (Fed min wage at the time) for each hour worked during the shutdown. Noted however, the gov hasn’t actually paid yet. They were also backpaid as normal.

And unless management actually does retaliate in some form for banging out during the furlough, there’s not much NATCA can do other than remind their membership (and management) it’s illegal.

I’ll wait to see how NATCA’s lawsuit turns out before throwing stones. There is a good chance, based on results from another unions lawsuit against the gov in 2013, we stand to gain a lot more than $500. In that other lawsuit, the judge found against the gov and required them to pay each worker involved in the suit roughly $7.25 (Fed min wage at the time) for each hour worked during the shutdown. Noted however, the gov hasn’t actually paid yet. They were also backpaid as normal.

And unless management actually does retaliate in some form for banging out during the furlough, there’s not much NATCA can do other than remind their membership (and management) it’s illegal.

Dont hold your breath. The credit hours lawsuit hasn't even been paid out. That's already over 10 years!

I'm starting to question the integrity of the union and its members, myself included.

People at PCT complaining about having to drive in dangerous conditions to work with a couple inches of snow on the ground.... do you realize millions of people do that daily? Are we spoiled govt employees?

I am really starting to disagree with the unions stance of "poor me" and "never let a political opportunity go to waste"

Back
Top Bottom