Government Shutdown

Truthfully, if you don't have savings and a back up plan in case of a financial issue you're not adulting right. We're paid well enough to stockpile a good savings.
Not all of us have been CPC for years. Thousands of us left the academy in the last year and had to use our savings during that process. Now not only are we not getting paid but our qualification classes are being postponed and our future raises are even further away.

@32andBelow I know, I got to my level 5 tower in December 2017, used all my savings at the academy to pay my mortgage on the house I have in Seattle while my pregnant wife was going to school. It's not easy, but certain things can sacrifice in the interest of a safety net. I have enough to keep me and the family comfortable for about 3 months before I rely on other means. It's possible, uncomfortable but possible, and well worth the benefits.

Of course all complaints are relative. Someone used "Officer Singh is dead" as a reason why Feds should shut up. You could also use starving children in Africa as a reason to tell us to shut up.
As the child of a well-off family who can help if I absolutely need, and as an adult who makes 6 figures, I'm not going to complain about any one thing. Plenty of my colleagues have a more legit concern than I do. So delayed paycheck, no biggie for me. So TSA gets $500... good for them. But start adding things up and it gets more difficult to stay quiet. Certainly there are non-essentials out there on furlough making 6 figures with now guaranteed backpay. And then to chargeback our leave instead of lumping that in with furlough? And keeping records of our sick-leave? Come on.

Of course we have yet to see how it plays out in the end, but I'm not optimistic.

Is the $500 TSA bonus + 1 days pay, a direct Result of their sick leave? 25 million dollar ransom payment!?

Many think N90 ended the furlough in 1 Sunday in 2013. They then got extra $$$CIP % than the other 315 facilities.

In dollars, this TSA payout is wayyy less than N90 only boondoggle, since it's a presumably 1 time thing! :oops:

Dude, your hatred of N90 is blinding you. It was ZNY that has most of the credit for 2013.

And you know why N90 has more CIP? BEcause it takes more incentive to get people to live on LI! And it’s temporary!

Some of you need to stop assuming that just because we are controllers that all of us are making bank and have a decent amount of savings set aside. I bet regardless of the facility level there are controllers living paycheck to paycheck at no fault of there own. A level 5 or 4 CPC could be living like a king or queen, it all depends on our life situations and none of us has the right to say another controller should've been better prepared for all of this. At the end of the day regardless of what our savings look like No employee should be forced to work without compensation.

You know, I fully believe in the concept of an emergency fund. It's great to have a backup in case things don't go as planned.

So let's play the assumed ideal world where we all have emergency funds and we're all content and dandy with not being paid. Takes a TON of the pressure off of the three branches to agree on a budget (since they obviously felt practically zero pressure to figure it out BEFORE the shutdown), and so now they figure "what the heck, why bother" and then month 7 comes and now there's some pressure on them to get it figured out and GUARANTEE there will still be people saying "should've planned for it".

Yeah, let me jump in my FWD car and drive at 6 am on back roads that VDOT hasn’t even touched.
I’d be willing to bet those millions of people that do that daily live in an area that is more prepared for snowfall and their roads are maintained in the event of 10 inches overnight.
Being in the middle of a government shutdown has nothing to do with Article 19. I’m not getting stuck on the side of the road to show “pride in my job.”
It's what people in the private sector do, you shouldn't get special treatment.

@ATCJoe85 I'm fairly sure out of the 800,000 furloughed we are some of the better paid, while also only making up about 1.5%. Our financial struggles dont matter much when compared to our responsibility on position, especially when people think about out wages. The low wage TSA agent will get more coverage over their financial situation.

ATC won't end this, low wage Fed employees will once the evictions start rolling in.

I swear there is so much misinformation in this thread it is embarrassing. Stop regurgitating propaganda and educate yourselves by performing your own research. Reading specifics is always better than hearing generalities, especially when folks are trying to persuade others into a course of action.

For example, there was no agreement - only a proposal - to fund the wall at $2 billion before Trump threatened to veto the appropriations bill that would have kept the government open. How many of you knew the Administration has been seeking $12.7 billion total for numerous immigration-related provisions with only $5.7 billion of that for a wall? See the letter from OMB to the Chairs and Ranking Members of the Senate and House Appropriations Committees: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Final-Shelby-1-6-19.pdf

Do better or do nothing --- fuckery is not appreciated.
The timeline is exactly as Dank pointed out.
12/19 Senate passes CR to fund us through 2/8/19 by 100-0! with an obvious blessing from trump behind the scenes, hence unanimous. Our favorite legislative terrorists, the House Freedom Caucus, gets pissed. He immediately gets blasted harddddd by Ann Coulter on brietbart and hannity and Limbaugh and they hammer home if he doesn't get the wall specifically he's weak and he will lose in 2020.
Trump goes 180 cuz he's a 70 year old angry cable news addict. Bill goes to the still republican house on 12/20 and the party falls in line with the new direction and they put in the wall money knowing it'll go back to the still republican senate on 12/21 and fail cuz they won't have 60 votes and it'll shutdown the government and that is exactly why we're in this mess.

Last edited:
"A huge share of government workers were going to take vacation days, say between Christmas and New Year’s.
And then we have a shutdown, and so they can’t go to work. So then they have the vacation, but they don’t have to use their vacation days. And then they come back, and they get their back pay.
Then in some sense they’re better off."

- White house Economic Adviser

Around 4:20

"On Friday, we told you that NATCA had filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia on behalf of our members who have not been paid for their work since the FAA's appropriations lapsed in late December. The judge granted our request for an expedited hearing. It has been scheduled for Monday at noon EST."

Any chance this judge actually makes a ruling that realistically allows controllers to get paid any time soon? ?

@ATCNOMAD page 23/24 of this thread, couple of the guys talking about it
Doesn't seem like anyone knows for sure. It's everyone trying to "interpret" the writing. I just still don't know how we can legally be charged leave during a government shutdown. I've always been told it's against the law

"BREAKING: Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport closes TSA security checkpoint due to staffing shortage, making it the first airport to do so - KTRK"

Quick, give them another $500!!! ????

Back
Top Bottom