Government Shutdown

Just got real:

Brothers and Sisters,

This morning, NATCA filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia on behalf of our members who have not been paid for their work since the FAA's appropriations lapsed in late December.

NATCA requested an expedited hearing on its motion for a Temporary Restraining Order against the United States government for violating the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution. NATCA alleges that the government unlawfully deprived NATCA members of their earned wages without due process.

The suit also alleges violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for failure to pay at least the minimum wage to air traffic controllers and other NATCA members who are excepted from the furloughs during the government shutdown. Finally, it alleges that the FAA failed to promptly pay overtime to NATCA members in violation of the FLSA. We are seeking an order requiring the government to pay you for the work you have performed. We are also seeking liquidated damages, which are an amount equivalent to the back pay award on the FLSA claims.

If the Court grants our request to certify the case as a collective action, NATCA members will receive notice on the procedures to opt-in to the suit. NATCA will update its members accordingly if/when this occurs.

Because the Federal courts require plaintiffs to show an actual harm before they consider a case, we waited to file this suit until members actually failed to receive their pay beginning this morning.

If you have any questions regarding the lawsuit not addressed by this e-mail, please e-mail us at: [email protected].

We will keep you updated as the case progresses.

In Solidarity,

The National Executive Board

There are ACTUAL homeless and starving people in the world. Some self pitying, fairly compensated federal employee begging for money having not even missed 1 paycheck yet is pretty pathetic to me too

If you look close that page was also created at least 5 days ago. That’s when negotiations were still going strong with the special weekend committees and it was way before it was confirmed we would be missing a paycheck.

Might not even be a controller— just some guy trying to exploit a situation.
He's a controller that just got transferred to CLT before the shutdown. I'm not sure if he was legitimately doing it to get money for bills, or as a haha to folks that are probably wall.

P.s. CIP is a scam, especially at N90 :yay:

If you want the CIP then come to N90, otherwise you got no legs to stand on. There's a reason why we are understaffed the way we are. Nobody wants to work in this high cost of living shithole, in a state where you need a license to fart in your own house, and almost everyone is an asshole. Very easy to complain from far away about the "Why are they getting more than us? it ain't fair and blah blah blah".

In other news if anyone has Geico I saw that they were offering to postpone payment for thise effected by the shutdown.

I think this is going to go until at least* the State of the Union address... which is January 29.

Back
Top Bottom