Hardship Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelehob

I have many questions about hardships. Is there any official documentation I should read about how the whole process works?

I'm a developmental and I would like to file a hardship for a medical issue (no, not allergies). I'm weary at this point because I know hardships are a contentious topic and I'm afraid of potentially angering people, because I am quite early in training.

Who do I go to to get the paperwork and get the process started?

Who can I expect to know about my hardship and when? Is it the type of thing where I should expect the news to spread and all of my trainers and peers will know soon after I mention the word "hardship"?

What type of documentation/evidence is required to submit a hardship?

How long does the process take if successful?

What kind of repercussions should I expect if unsuccessful?

Look in the slate book, sorry I don’t have the exact page or anything but to my knowledge there’s basically 3 desperate things that can qualify you.

I would talk to your FACREP or your area rep about it. You can always say to them “and I’d really like to keep this between us please if we could” and they should honor that to th best they can.

The only way your peers will know of it is if your supervisor and or FACREP/Area Rep talk about it. My buddy here at ZMP who hardshipped took about a month all said and done. It’s a fairly quick process of finding out if it’s been approved/denied once it’s submitted. Repercussions wouldn’t be bad, just either approved or denied.

Article 99 will spell out everything you need. I recently went through the process. As Henry said your facrep "should" be able to help you. I would get as much supporting evidence and a strong doctors recommendation. Make sure you fall in one of the three sections. It took about 2 months from time I submitted to starting at my new facility next week.
You are likely going to piss people if it's approved especially if you are at a small tower with poor staffing. Luckily both of my trainers were supportive. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Your facrep will help you put it together or will be able to refer you to your regions NATCA rep to help you. After you submit it your facrep and ATM will make sure it meet the requirements of the contract, but then it's up to the service area and your regional rep to determine it's validity

Your facrep will help you put it together or will be able to refer you to your regions NATCA rep to help you. After you submit it your facrep and ATM will make sure it meet the requirements of the contract, but then it's up to the service area and your regional rep to determine it's validity

Your Fac Rep and ATM play a vital role in determining the validity of the request.

No they don’t. They determine if it meets the three categories listed in the slate book
That’s False. They are the first people to determine if the criteria is meet and if it’s valid.

That’s False. They are the first people to determine if the criteria is meet and if it’s valid.
Criteria can be meet but the hardship not meet the grounds for relocation (validity) thus providing the BUM with the FMLA option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the paragraph from article 99 that states where the employee or family member needs care and a move will solidify. Copy that word for word, taylor it to fit your name and add treatment reasons and have a doc sign it on letterhead.

@CaptainObvious is correct. Some ATMs and FACREPs think they have that authority, but they don’t. The only job they have is a general “screen” to see if it falls under one of the contract categories.

who makes the determination on the validity of the request once it leaves the building?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom