How to get out of NATCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaatc2020

I want to get out of NATCA. Do I have to wait January to have them stop taking dues money out of my check or can I submit my 1188 now and have them stop taking the money out now? I have heard conflicting answers.

I would absolutely advise NOT quitting the union-as a trainee especially

Natca does not control the furlough, that's congress. I'd plan on no paycheck dec 11 to Jan 20, unless there are some vunerable senate seats

Since I won't be a CPC anytime soon due to the union I got to save that dues money in case I do get furloughed. Do you think we will get furloughed?

Nope. If it comes down to it they will just immediately recall everyone. This is all Natca keeping people at home IMO.

I want to get out of NATCA. Do I have to wait January to have them stop taking dues money out of my check or can I submit my 1188 now and have them stop taking the money out now? I have heard conflicting answers.
My first question was, “do you never want to transfer anywhere except by going into management?”

But seeing as you’re a trainee, I would think it’s probably smarter to remain a member at this point.

Being a non-member while enjoying the entire CBA the Union negotiated is a personal decision, but I don’t recall it being particularly good when you’re trying to get your quals for the simple fact that everyone at your facility will be aware that you’re not part of the union.

Edit: most controllers I know, including myself, will do the bare minimum in training someone, wouldn’t stick up for you in a TRB, won’t teach you their better techniques, will withhold a recommend, etc. if you’re a controller who’s not in NATCA.

Apparently I'm in the minority. I don't give a crap if you're in the Union or not or what your reasoning is. I just want the best trainees to certify. Not teaching someone the best technique because they aren't in the union is petty and dangerous. The end result is making that controller less successful and someone you don't want sitting next to you in the control room.

That being said, as a trainee I wouldn't quit the union either.

I would absolutely advise NOT quitting the union-as a trainee especially

Natca does not control the furlough, that's congress. I'd plan on no paycheck dec 11 to Jan 20, unless there are some vunerable senate seats
I wasn’t saying Natca has control of furloughs. Just the current climate where everyone is stuck at home, not training and not getting raises.

My first question was, “do you never want to transfer anywhere except by going into management?”

But seeing as you’re a trainee, I would think it’s probably smarter to remain a member at this point.

Being a non-member while enjoying the entire CBA the Union negotiated is a personal decision, but I don’t recall it being particularly good when you’re trying to get your quals for the simple fact that everyone at your facility will be aware that you’re not part of the union.

Edit: most controllers I know, including myself, will do the bare minimum in training someone, wouldn’t stick up for you in a TRB, won’t teach you their better techniques, will withhold a recommend, etc. if you’re a controller who’s not in NATCA.
I’m not worried about having trouble certifying here or retaliation from anybody. Several trainees and CPCs are getting out of the union too. If I do get to transfer in a few years I’ll just rejoin. I do not want to give one more dollar to an organization that is holding my training up. I don’t want to hear it is for safety either. There are procedures in place such as wearing a mask at work that help keep us protected.

I’m not worried about having trouble certifying here or retaliation from anybody. Several trainees and CPCs are getting out of the union too. If I do get to transfer in a few years I’ll just rejoin. I do not want to give one more dollar to an organization that is holding my training up. I don’t want to hear it is for safety either. There are procedures in place such as wearing a mask at work that help keep us protected.
There are fees to rejoin. You may look into that.

Thats not to mention that shit will absolutely follow you to your next facility.

It's a personal decision, you do you, but it's not a great idea in my opinion for all the reasons mentioned previously.

What everyone is trying to say is even if you disagree with how the union has handled your career thus far, stay in until you certify and transfer to where you want to ultimately retire. Otherwise, union members won’t help you transfer, won’t help you certify, and will make your professional life much more difficult. Your frustration with NATCA might be legitimate, but don’t make the job harder as a trainee. As stated above, this career field is pretty small and quitting the union will follow you around.

The problem with “I’ll rejoin when I want to transfer” is that when your facrep gets a call he’s just going tell the rep where you want to go that you quit the union and only rejoined when you wanted to move.

Do whatever you want but there is a thread full of people who have a lot of experience telling you to think twice and I agree with them. I understand you’re frustrated but this isn’t the way to get noticed while in training.

That's some exceptionally scumbaggish mentality, and if I were your coworker I would take you to Professional Standards on a weekly basis and just generally treat you like shit, because if you're treating people like this solely based on their totally personal decision to not join your exclusive boys club, then you're a fucking full-stop loser bro.

Most controllers that I know couldnt give 2 shits about someone's union status and would train their coworkers (not subordinates, there is a difference) to the best of their abilities because it's their job, and because I would want to work next to someone who had been given the proper training to peel airplanes apart in a shitshow go-around SWAP thunderstorm situation, because there's fuckin people on those airplanes, and also because I'm generally a decent human being...but if you've got nothing better to do at your backwater sisterfucking Level 5 than talk shit on trainees who dont pay dues then hey have at it and keep being a scumfuck I guess.

I seriously hope this is just trolling. If you’re seriously going to fuck with someone’s career just because they choose not to be in the union, you have no place being a trainer. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom