IFR vs VFR operational priority

Termine

⭐SuperStar
I ♥ pointSixtyFive
I've heard multiple people (including my sup on my radar checkout) mention that "IFR has priority over VFR." I usually call them out on it, referencing the Note at 2–1–4:
It is solely the pilot's prerogative to cancel an IFR flight plan. However, a pilot's retention of an IFR flight plan does not afford priority over VFR aircraft. For example, this does not preclude the requirement for the pilot of an arriving IFR aircraft to adjust his/her flight path, as necessary, to enter a traffic pattern in sequence with arriving VFR aircraft.
(IFR aircraft do have priority over special VFR aircraft, but not regular VFR.)

I have occasionally gotten responses to the effect of "that's not how I was trained" or "that must have been a recent change" so I went digging on the FAA website. The oldest version of the .65 that's actually available to view is the 7110.65L [22 MB PDF warning], effective 02/26/1998, and that same exact wording is right there.

So I'm curious: How were you trained? Do any of our more venerable members (N90-EWR perhaps) happen to have access to a version of the .65 from earlier than 1998, and is the Note there too?

IFR Air Carriers add more complexity score or whatever for my facility to get upgraded. So those are at least more important than some VFR weekend warrior.
If you send em around because the weekend warrior delayed his “go” on the stop and go you get extra air carrier counts…..

Back
Top Bottom