Intersection arrival VFR A/c on the approach (executing missed approach) and vfr a/c landing the intersecting runway

MMT123

FAA
Facility
Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center
The vfr a/c on the approach was cleared low approach restricted at or above 500 ft with a vfr a/c landing the intersecting runway. Traffic between the two a/c was exchanged and acknowledged. Was this separation incorrect? Or does one of the aircraft have to be clear of the inspection prior to intersecting a/c crossing threshold?

Solution
The vfr a/c on the approach was cleared low approach restricted at or above 500 ft with a vfr a/c landing the intersecting runway. Traffic between the two a/c was exchanged and acknowledged. Was this separation incorrect? Or does one of the aircraft have to be clear of the inspection prior to intersecting a/c crossing threshold?
In a perfect world with no "go-arounds" yes this is fine. A low approach over an aircraft on landing roll is fine with traffic exchanged. Unfortunately, with a "wave off/go-around" you are left with a very sketchy situation. 3-8-1 has plenty of options to make that tie go away if needed.

I am with the two posts above. Not a good situation to be in.
I got into a big argument about this at my last facility. So many people use restricted altitude low approach as the out. Example: both aircraft cross the thresholds at the same time, both arrivals and you haven't guaranteed that landing was assured on the full stop. If he goes around it's now even more illegal. Since you can't use a restricted low approach over a departing aircraft let alone runway sep.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's one of those things that even if it is legal I think it's absolutely terrible technique. I view the whole thing as weak sequencing by approach and forcing the tower to fix dead ass ties.

Technically it should be fine unless your arrival goes missed, in which case you are completely hosed without a way out of it. Absolutely terrible technique IMO.

“A low approach with an altitude restriction of not less than 500 feet above the airport may be authorized except over an aircraft in takeoff position or a departure aircraft.

In a perfect world with no "go-arounds" yes this is fine. A low approach over an aircraft on landing roll is fine with traffic exchanged. Unfortunately, with a "wave off/go-around" you are left with a very sketchy situation. 3-8-1 has plenty of options to make that tie go away if needed.

I am with the two posts above. Not a good situation to be in.

Solution
Appreciate the feedback! All makes sense! Thank you

I got into a big argument about this at my last facility. So many people use restricted altitude low approach as the out. Example: both aircraft cross the thresholds at the same time, both arrivals and you haven't guaranteed that landing was assured on the full stop. If he goes around it's now even more illegal. Since you can't use a restricted low approach over a departing aircraft let alone runway sep.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's one of those things that even if it is legal I think it's absolutely terrible technique. I view the whole thing as weak sequencing by approach and forcing the tower to fix dead ass ties.
Appreciate the feedback!

Technically it should be fine unless your arrival goes missed, in which case you are completely hosed without a way out of it. Absolutely terrible technique IMO.

“A low approach with an altitude restriction of not less than 500 feet above the airport may be authorized except over an aircraft in takeoff position or a departure aircraft.
Thanks!!

If you clear an aircraft for any operation on the runway you’re going to want to make sure you have proper runway separation. Next time just tell them to overfly the runway at pattern altitude

If you clear an aircraft for any operation on the runway you’re going to want to make sure you have proper runway separation. Next time just tell them to overfly the runway at pattern altitude
Got it thanks!?

Make it simple. Just tell the plane doing an option go around now it's legal, or at map give a climb out.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom