Intersection Departures

mcubed820

Just curious if anyone around the NAS says "intersection departure" to taxiing aircraft when they call up for taxi? It's being taught by some controllers and instructors at my facility that it's REQUIRED to say "intersection departure" when giving taxi instructions to pilots. I thought saying "intersection departure" was only required if it is a military aircraft or if they request the distance remaining from the intersection (3-7-1)?

My technique is to say, "Rwy (number) at (intersection), taxi via (route)." They're saying it's required to say, "Rwy (number) at (intersection), intersection departure, taxi via (route)" every single time you give a taxi instruction with an intersection departure point. I definitely don't think it's a bad technique to say "intersection departure," but is it actually required unless military or they request the distance? Genuinely curious on how people interpret 3-7-1/what their technique is! Thanks!

season 2 smilf GIF by Showtime

Don't worry back in the day I was told by a trainer pretty much this same thing... with the added addition that you must always issue runway feet available as well without being asked by the pilot.

Imagine thinking that giving a new departure frequency to an aircraft taxing is “bad form” and “overall unsafe.”
Not saying it’s good but several airports in western Europe assign SID and transition (fairly complex
procedures) to taxiing aircraft

I think they're getting other parts of the 7110.65 mixed in. I'm going to assume your SOP doesn't mention any requirement because it could be more restrictive.

The parts of the .65 I think they're using for their argument are these two examples. No examples exist with taxi instructions.

3-7-1:
d. Intersection departures may be initiated by a controller or a controller may authorize an intersection departure if a pilot requests. Issue the measured distance from the intersection to the runway end rounded “down” to the nearest 50 feet to any pilot who requests and to all military aircraft, unless use of the intersection is covered in appropriate directives.

PHRASEOLOGY− RUNWAY (number) AT (taxiway designator) INTERSECTION DEPARTURE (remaining length) FEET AVAILABLE

3-9-10g. PHRASEOLOGY− RUNWAY (number) AT (taxiway designator) INTERSECTION DEPARTURE SHORTENED, CLEARED FOR TAKEOFF

I'm going to assume your SOP doesn't mention any requirement because it could be more restrictive.
This. SharDi is correct as far as the 7110.65 goes, but local SOP could require the "intersection departure" phraseology. (Most likely because whoever wrote the SOP was themselves confused and/or trained incorrectly.)

That was a finding of our ECV last year. We were dinged for not saying ‘intersection departure’, and the quote was to the distance available section, which is wrong. Your way is correct, unless there is something stated locally.

Imagine thinking that giving a new departure frequency to an aircraft taxing is “bad form” and “overall unsafe.”

“N1234 the un-arrival frequency is…”

I read it originally as the aircraft was taxing to parking from an intersection not departing. Possibly drinking at the time. 😆

All I’ve ever done is what you’re saying you do. I’ve never said “intersection departure” and I only give distance remaining if I’m the one assigning the intersection unless the pilot specifically asks.

Back
Top Bottom