Medical Clearance - Crohn's

DR946

I'm looking to apply during the next OTS bid next week, but want to see my chances of passing medical.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at ~13 years old (25 now). I've had one surgery @ 15 related to Crohn's side effects and none since. (Other than biannual Colonoscopies to monitor). Other than an occasional (once/twice a year?) day where I have some stomach pain and feeling bloated slightly more than a healthy person I am symptom free. My doctor put me on Humira ~2 years ago which I have been taking ever since and have no side effects. I know Crohn's/Humira alone are not disqualifying, but I only see Humira listed for treating arthritis. Anyone have an idea of my chances clearing medical if I get that far?

I have UC and I cleared medical with zero problems in March, just had to send in my medical records about it and they gave me a special consideration. Don’t think it’s a big deal really.

I have UC and I cleared medical with zero problems in March, just had to send in my medical records about it and they gave me a special consideration. Don’t think it’s a big deal really.

That's good to hear. Are you on Humira? (If you don't mind me asking)

No I don’t take any meds, the symptoms are not as bad as taking my meds I was given. (The don’t go on the mouth).....

Guy I worked with has Crohn's. No big deal. He is DQ'd for 24 hours after his medication, but he does it on his RDO's so it's no issue. You should be fine.

I have UC and got a special consideration with no problems was diagnosed back in 2014. All I had to do was to send in my records from my doctor, and I have to send a yearly status report.

I just took a medical for my bid and my examiner told me the FAA is real food with working with you and your medical issues and clearing you and making some sort of special system that you have to abide by specifically so you can work and tend to your issues he told me you can have some types of cancers and still work so if there allowing that I’d assume they’d work with you anyways apply you should Atleast try hope this helps

I'm looking to apply during the next OTS bid next week, but want to see my chances of passing medical.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at ~13 years old (25 now). I've had one surgery @ 15 related to Crohn's side effects and none since. (Other than biannual Colonoscopies to monitor). Other than an occasional (once/twice a year?) day where I have some stomach pain and feeling bloated slightly more than a healthy person I am symptom free. My doctor put me on Humira ~2 years ago which I have been taking ever since and have no side effects. I know Crohn's/Humira alone are not disqualifying, but I only see Humira listed for treating arthritis. Anyone have an idea of my chances clearing medical if I get that far?

I have Crohn's and was given a Special Consideration in this last bid. I just had to send in my medical records. As long as it's controlled, you should have no issues.

I have Crohn's and was given a Special Consideration in this last bid. I just had to send in my medical records. As long as it's controlled, you should have no issues.

Awesome. I assumed just having Crohn's wasn't an issue if I've been relatively symptom free. The Humira/Crohn's combo had me worried though. How long did it add to the process to get the special consideration? Thanks for your insight

I don’t know anything about Crohns but a controller I work with takes humira for RA and has a medical with special considerations.

Awesome. I assumed just having Crohn's wasn't an issue if I've been relatively symptom free. The Humira/Crohn's combo had me worried though. How long did it add to the process to get the special consideration? Thanks for your insight
It didn't seem to add to the process for me, and it even seemed like I got my clearance relatively quickly, compared to others. I had my medical appt on March 8th, and then received my Special Consideration clearance on March 25th. I take Mesalamine, so I'm on the milder side. I'm not sure how the doses differ for Humira when used for treating arthritis vs Crohn's, but I would assume they're maybe similar? So I would think that you'd be all good.

Back
Top Bottom