Military Reserves as an ATC

Thanks so much for the information and the advice. I greatly appreciate it. That's what I love about this site, great information with very little guess work. I think that very well could be the best course of action waiting until I'm at CPC before potentially pursing the pilot route as well.

I'd say that is a good idea because with CPC you get career status. The provisions of USERRA would still protect you as a developmental though. I met someone in a similar situation to yours. Active duty ATC who was picked up for both the FAA and a pilot slot in the ANG. She went to the academy, graduated, picked her facility but never actually inprocessed there. She started her officer/pilot training a few days after the academy, and after that was on Title 10 orders flying missions. Not sure if she still is flying or has gone back to the FAA, but her job was protected. Also, the five year limit on protections rarely applies to Title 10 orders these days because of the perpetual state of "war" we are in. It should state that on both your orders and DD214 once off orders. I'm not sure how they handle training orders. Initial training is supposed to also be exempt from the time limit but I'm not sure how they define that. Regardless, it's not going to take you five years to finish pilot training.

This is the logical route for sure. The nice thing, assuming I can go into the IRR, is that I can buy back my military time. Time will tell though.
You can both buy back your military time for the FAA and keep it towards you Reserves retirement if you decide to stay in. You get to double dip that military time.

So if I'm already a member of the Alaska Army National Guard when i go to the Academy would it have any possible sway in regards to being sent to Anchorage Center? Does military obligation to a state have any sway with the FAA on being sent to that state as a controller?

So if I'm already a member of the Alaska Army National Guard when i go to the Academy would it have any possible sway in regards to being sent to Anchorage Center? Does military obligation to a state have any sway with the FAA on being sent to that state as a controller?
No preference is given to the national guard with regards to facility selection at the academy.

Your options would be eventually leaving the national guard or attempting to relocate to a new unit.

Your best bet is to hope that people start transferring out of Anchorage Center and it becomes an alternate facility at the academy once again.

No preference is given to the national guard with regards to facility selection at the academy.

Your options would be eventually leaving the national guard or attempting to relocate to a new unit.

Your best bet is to hope that people start transferring out of Anchorage Center and it becomes an alternate facility at the academy once again.

That's unfortunate. I appreciate the quick response. I've got a friend at Anchorage Center and he claims that a lot of people are now trying to leave Anchorage. So hopefully by the time I get to the academy that will be the case with it becoming an alternate facility.

That's unfortunate. I appreciate the quick response. I've got a friend at Anchorage Center and he claims that a lot of people are now trying to leave Anchorage. So hopefully by the time I get to the academy that will be the case with it becoming an alternate facility.
If I was a betting man, I believe it will be back as an alternate shortly. It was taken off the list sometime after it reached over 100% projected staffing on the priority placement tool. For quick reference, it hit 100% projected staffing in Feb 2017 and remained above 100% until Jan 2018 (when the new retirement numbers were released).

It's currently at 96.5% projected with the ability to release 5 people this Thurs/Friday, which would drop it's projected percentage down to 91.7%. I like your odds.

When it comes back on the list, they will take volunteers at the beginning of your time at the academy for the available OCONUS locations (Guam, PR, Alaska, Hawaii). You'd simply tell them you'd like Alaska, your spot is reserved and you simply need to focus on passing the academy.

If I was a betting man, I believe it will be back as an alternate shortly. It was taken off the list sometime after it reached over 100% projected staffing on the priority placement tool. For quick reference, it hit 100% projected staffing in Feb 2017 and remained above 100% until Jan 2018 (when the new retirement numbers were released).

It's currently at 96.5% projected with the ability to release 5 people this Thurs/Friday, which would drop it's projected percentage down to 91.7%. I like your odds.

When it comes back on the list, they will take volunteers at the beginning of your time at the academy for the available OCONUS locations (Guam, PR, Alaska, Hawaii). You'd simply tell them you'd like Alaska, your spot is reserved and you simply need to focus on passing the academy.

That's really good to hear. I really appreciate the response. Especially with some actual numbers. Seems like my friend was spot on with what be said. Hopefully Alaska will be back open by the time I get to the academy. That'd make this a lot easier figuring out.

Is there anyway to make this post go viral again lol! I’m In route to join the air national guard as an ATC and have little to no knowledge.

Is there anyway to make this post go viral again lol! I’m In route to join the air national guard as an ATC and have little to no knowledge.

Plenty of controllers know the ins and outside, you'll get info if you know what you want to know and if you ask.

Will you get the required veers thru your unit?
You know I don't know that info yet, all I know is that I go to my tech school for 11 weeks then I'll be full time temporarily at Kingsley Air Force base in Klamath Falls, OR which I believe is a level 5? Does this help at all as far as getting my veers?

You know I don't know that info yet, all I know is that I go to my tech school for 11 weeks then I'll be full time temporarily at Kingsley Air Force base in Klamath Falls, OR which I believe is a level 5? Does this help at all as far as getting my veers?
I feel like I’ve seen active guard jobs on USAjobs a few times over the years. Maybe you will be able to do that once/if you certify. Ask your recruiter all these questions.
Edit: I meant certs* not veers idk why it autocorrected to that earlier.

Out of curiosity, how would the process even work if you’re already in the FAA and wanted to join the reserves or guard?

You would have to take LWOP during basic and technical training, right? Wouldn’t almost assuredly be a financial hit for any FAA employee?

Out of curiosity, how would the process even work if you’re already in the FAA and wanted to join the reserves or guard?

You would have to take LWOP during basic and technical training, right? Wouldn’t almost assuredly be a financial hit for any FAA employee?
I'll let you know in the coming weeks/months. My reserve contract is ending in a couple weeks and I am in the process of working with a guard recruiter to join when my contract is up. I have the option of going enlisted or commissioned, which the obvious choice is commission. The good thing with the guard is that they have a "state OCS" which takes up to 18 months to get your commission, but you only do it like a normal drill schedule, one weekend a month 2 2 week periods. This will allow me to continue with training at my Z and earn a commission without having to take LWOP until after I earn my commission. Once I have to eventually go to any long term (more than a couple weeks) I would have to take LWOP once my military leave time is exhausted, but in the end it's worth it if I can retire after one contract if I want.

I'll let you know in the coming weeks/months. My reserve contract is ending in a couple weeks and I am in the process of working with a guard recruiter to join when my contract is up. I have the option of going enlisted or commissioned, which the obvious choice is commission. The good thing with the guard is that they have a "state OCS" which takes up to 18 months to get your commission, but you only do it like a normal drill schedule, one weekend a month 2 2 week periods. This will allow me to continue with training at my Z and earn a commission without having to take LWOP until after I earn my commission. Once I have to eventually go to any long term (more than a couple weeks) I would have to take LWOP once my military leave time is exhausted, but in the end it's worth it if I can retire after one contract if I want.
This is army guard right?

Correct. I should have specified, sorry.
Nah. You're good. Assumed as much. Is it a certain MOS or what? Last I heard for army wise they kinda push you all towards the same stuff at first and then you go to different careers? I'm Air Force so I have really no idea how the army operates

Nah. You're good. Assumed as much. Is it a certain MOS or what? Last I heard for army wise they kinda push you all towards the same stuff at first and then you go to different careers? I'm Air Force so I have really no idea how the army operates
For Officers? As far as I know, you complete OCS and then go to Basic Officer Leaders Course which is branch(MOS field) specific, which you don't find out what your branch is until towards the end of OCS.

I definitely understand the more money thing for sure. For me, by the time I get the academy I'll have over 12 years total service, so not much longer to be able to retire. As I said before though, I'm en route (assuming I graduate the academy and get certified) so even in developmental bands I would probably make substantially more money than in the military. All in all I'll probably stay in, but do my best to avoid going on orders for extended periods of time.
Your military time gets added on the back end. You still have to do a minimum of 20 years..if not more depending on age.

Bringing this thread back to life since it gave me some good info before I rejoined in the Navy Reserves. Background: 10 years active duty Navy ATC, took a 5 year break to get my FAA life in order and joined the reserves in Jan 2022.

VA disability is forfeited for the 60 or so days between your one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. One drill weekend counts as 4 days of time for military pay purposes. They calculate a 4 hr period as one day. 8 hr day = 2 paid days. The VA will send you a letter at end of year asking if you want to forfeit basically 2 whole months or have them prorate it throughout the year. Long story short, you get drill pay and VA disability.

Drill weekends and work schedule are worked out between you and management. At my facility now, I have SUN/MON rdos with a mandatory OT shift every Monday. I either reschedule my Saturday drills throughout the year or use leave and credit. I can't rdo swap because I'm on 6 day work weeks. If I had weekday rdos, I would be screwed. I reschedule my Sat drills by working 8am-12pm (4 hr period) on my tues and weds night shifts. I drill before work, change clothes, and work my shift. Each facility is different as I've heard some of my buddies get admin excused absence because they are fat staffed.

You get 15 days of military leave a year, which you can rollover up to 15 days. Your 2 weeks a year annual training counts as 10 military leave days. That means if you do the bare minimum 2 weeks, you should have 5 days to rollover or use for drill weekends.

You double dip using your military time. My 10 years active bought back count towards my FAA retirement and also counts towards my time in service in the reserves. I'll have 2 retirements and VA disability with my 10 years active time.

Is it worth it? Absolutely yes. CPC and it gives you flexibility to do what you want. My wife is active duty ATC and got orders to San Diego. I got picked up on last NCEPT and we transfer together in June. If I didn't get picked up, I would've taken orders there in a supply warehouse making more than i do now working 2 OTs a pay period at my level 9 and would be protected under USERRA. And yes, I went supply in the reserves cause ATC in the reserves sucks as far as duty stations. I'm currently in South Korea finishing up my 2 weeks a year working in a post office getting my military pay, faa pay, and VA disability.

I hope this helps even one person. It helped me out and I appreciate you guys that take the time to respond to others. And oh yeah, and I joined the reserves in Texas so I get the Hazelwood act and a navy reserve gi bill on top of my already used gi bill.

Back
Top Bottom