MMPI Tier 2

After exchanging a few emails with my Med POC, she also informed me that I did not pass my MMPI, and I will be going through Tier 2. I have absolutely no idea how I didn't pass, I answered every single question with 100% honesty, I did not try to cheat the test, and I am not some psycho who is a danger to society lol.

Can anyone who has gone through this process shed some light on it for me? How long they waited, what they had to do, if they ended up getting cleared etc. I am extremely aggravated as I have finally finished everything and would now be just waiting for an FOL. The MMPI is the absolute last thing I thought I was going to have to worry about. My Med POC said she has applicants that have waited for 6 months but I'm hoping the process will be quicker since everything seems to be moving faster than normal?

Last edited:
After exchanging a few emails with my Med POC, she also informed me that I did not pass my MMPI, and I will be going through Tier 2. I have absolutely no idea how I didn't pass, I answered everything single question with 100% honesty, I did not try to cheat the test, and I am not some psycho who is a danger to society lol.

Can anyone who has gone through this process shed some light on it for me? How long they waited, what they had to do, if they ended up getting cleared etc. I am extremely aggravated as I have finally finished everything and would now be just waiting for an FOL. The MMPI is the absolute last thing I thought I was going to have to worry about. My Med POC said she has applicants that have waited for 6 months but I'm hoping the process will be quicker since everything seems to be moving faster than normal?

@Stinger had to go through this (at least I think it was him) and he made it seem like no big deal. I'd ask him about it.

After exchanging a few emails with my Med POC, she also informed me that I did not pass my MMPI, and I will be going through Tier 2. I have absolutely no idea how I didn't pass, I answered everything single question with 100% honesty, I did not try to cheat the test, and I am not some psycho who is a danger to society lol.

Please don't kill me

Have not been through the process but you now need to wait to be contacted by Hope, which can take months in order to schedule an exam with a psychologist. You will retake the MMPI along with various other tests depending on what flagged you. It will be a few hours long appointment. The psychologist/ psychiatrist will have to fill out a form to be submitted to the flight surgeon for further review. Expect a few month delay. And a very frustrating process. Don't bother emailing Hope as she will not respond to you until it is your turn.

Hope contacted me 30 minutes after my med poc inf0rmed me of tier 2. Hope's email stated that I had been chosen for tier 2 and that my case will be reviewed and a Tier 2 provider will be contacted to confirm they can receive my case. Hopefully getting this email so quickly means everything else will happen quickly as well.

@Stinger had to go through this (at least I think it was him) and he made it seem like no big deal. I'd ask him about it.
Yeah I was tier 2 a few years ago before the new all-sources hiring process started. Didn't really add any time for me because I wasn't going to the Academy until after a new fiscal year started anyway. I applied for a January announcement, did the pre-hire things in May-June was notified of the MMPI failure in June. Met with two psychologists (twice.) I was cleared in August and then class date of December.

After exchanging a few emails with my Med POC, she also informed me that I did not pass my MMPI, and I will be going through Tier 2. I have absolutely no idea how I didn't pass, I answered every single question with 100% honesty, I did not try to cheat the test, and I am not some psycho who is a danger to society lol.

Are you prior experience or OTS? Also what bid?

Biggest thing is don't get discouraged. There are people who have been medically DQ'd for small potatoes and would kill to be in your spot... I was tier two like 4 years ago... A little different format back then... Just be the squeaky wheel... Don't let them forget about you. For me, the tier 2 process was relatively painless. Was 2 separate 2ish hour sessions with a shrink. At the end, had to retake two personality tests, one of which was a retake of the actual mmpi. All in all, I was notified tier 2 in Sept and was in OKC by Feb. Good luck.

Just notified that im Tier 2 for MMPI. Who has been through this? What is next? How long did the process take? Is there any way I can make it go fast? Thanks for any input.

I'm tier 2 from the August 2016 bid, and there are still quite a few of us left. Prepare to wait. I've even heard that some from that bid are just now getting their official tier 2 notification. Thankfully, I completed my appts this past March and now I'm waiting for clearance. So you're looking at anywhere from 6 months (very unlikely) to 2 years.
Embrace the suck, fellas.

I was notified of Tier 2 6 months ago. Got an email today saying the following in the text..."In order to proceed in scheduling your Tier 2 evaluation, please use the attached form to request a copy of your military personnel records."...
Anyone else get the same?
I understand the need for military medical records, but personnel records???

Are you sure they're not asking for medical records? I'm not sure what use personnel records would be unless they're wanting to see if you had any unfavorable actions? Only reason I could think they'd want personnel records of any sort.

I was notified of Tier 2 6 months ago. Got an email today saying the following in the text..."In order to proceed in scheduling your Tier 2 evaluation, please use the attached form to request a copy of your military personnel records."...
Anyone else get the same?
I understand the need for military medical records, but personnel records???

I received a similar email as well. I have to submit a request for my medical records from the military with an SF-180. That for should have been attached to the email sent to you. Basically, you send the fo to your medical clinic and they will send your records straight to the FAA.

I am tier 2 from the Aug 2016 OTS bid my timeline is as follows...

TOL - 1/24/17
CIL 2/8/17
Medical Call 2/9/17
MMPI2 2/15/17
Medical App. 3/2/17
Tier 2 Notification 3/14/17
"Official" Tier 2 Notification 4/24/18
Tier 2 Appt 5/10/18

Anybody who is prior military i would say to expect it to take longer than usual. Also if you have your med POC info i would contact them every once in a while. Turns out Hope was waiting on a simple VA disability form (I have 0% disability) that i needed to print out off a website and send in.

As for the appointment - Show up, get asked a handful of questions about drugs and alcohol. Then get asked if you ever killed anyone in combat or seen dead bodies ect...ect... any mental problems blah blah blah ...took about 15-20 mins. Then I re-took the MMPI on paper... then a 450 question or so test on paper... then a 350 something test on paper... which finished the appointment and I went on my marry way.. I was only there from 10AM-1:30ish PM. The doc was 3 hours away though so I did stay over the night before to not risk morning traffic. Ps. I live in a larger city with a better medical center than the smaller city I traveled to, so who knows why that is.

When I walked in she asked if I knew why I was there, I said that I was told I failed the MMPI2 and need to see you for a Tier 2. She said that basically this test flags you for random physc traits that need further investigation. "In your case, the test flagged you for presenting yourself in too favorable of a light" AKA, the test thinks your lying. She expressed her discontent for the MMPI stating its outdated and really did not seemed concerned that i was there...I guess we will find out in 3-5 months if I clear medical or not..

Sorry for the long winded response, If you have any questions about this or the security interview processes please let me know! I'll be as helpful as possible...

(Disclaimer-This is my personal experience for insight, yours and many others might be very different)

Thank you for the insight. Just one week after being notified of tier 2 I received an email asking for my military medical records. In addition to my records, I will send them the letter from the VA state no that I have zero percent disability. Hopefully this will speed things along.

Good luck. You’ll get a class day soon!

Are you sure they're not asking for medical records? I'm not sure what use personnel records would be unless they're wanting to see if you had any unfavorable actions? Only reason I could think they'd want personnel records of any sort.
Turns out they meant to say my medical records and not personnel records. They needed another copy of my DD214 also. I'm guessing they lost the first one that was sent in with my application packet.

Turns out they meant to say my medical records and not personnel records. They needed another copy of my DD214 also. I'm guessing they lost the first one that was sent in with my application packet.

I literally got the same email. I emailed her back saying I had already submitted that and the evaluation had been completed. She then responded back with her apologies and said she still needed my civilian medical records. That has already been done as well. I wouldn’t be nearly as mad if I haven’t already been contacted by the security personnel 3 different times needing my SSN. I mean really, what is going on? Seems like major stall efforts going on.

I just found out I was Tier 2 about a week ago as well. They didn’t ask me for medical records. All they wanted was VA disability break down and Military personnel records. I had mine sent electronically to my POC instead of waiting for them to get in the regular mail and possibly losing it or something.

Back
Top Bottom