N90 (Newark Area) to PHL FOIA's

Schumer relentlessly advocated to multiple DOT secretaries, the White House and FAA leaders to keep the air traffic control centers on Long Island after the serious possibility that the new Integrated Control Facility would be moved off the Island. As a result of Schumer’s fierce advocacy, the FAA ultimately decided to rebuild and modernize the TRACON site on Long Island
South Park Thumbs Up GIF

Update on this? I see there’s a juicy PHL bid out.
Out of curiosity, is this a desirable place to be? I’d imagine all the individuals hired on this bid will fill the EWR sector positions they’re trying to move and if it’s as difficult as people say it is, will it be worth it for Level 11 pay? Or is PHL slated to become a 12 once this move is complete?

Out of curiosity, is this a desirable place to be? I’d imagine all the individuals hired on this bid will fill the EWR sector positions they’re trying to move and if it’s as difficult as people say it is, will it be worth it for Level 11 pay? Or is PHL slated to become a 12 once this move is complete?
It’s worth it if you want to live in Philly. I’m sure there’s people in the NAS who have been trying to get back there

So is the move not happening or is there a new plan to train?
No one knows. At this point the faa appears to be running off with their tail between their legs to lick their wounds… but they will be back. They spent too much money on this boondoggle already to just walk away with nothing. If only there was a group that was responsible for advocating for the line controllers and their best interests, benefits and working conditions. Or if the faa had bit the bullet and followed the 804 process as laid out in public law instead of trying to hoodwink one over congress. Or both.

Last edited:
I don’t check this forums much since I retired, but I’m not surprised about the complete shitshow that this entire “move EWR area to PHL” fiasco has been. It was never going to work. The operation would have been a complete clusterfuck once the EWR airspace was separated from the other N90 areas, so I’m glad to see that it was killed.

I don’t check this forums much since I retired, but I’m not surprised about the complete shitshow that this entire “move EWR area to PHL” fiasco has been. It was never going to work. The operation would have been a complete clusterfuck once the EWR airspace was separated from the other N90 areas, so I’m glad to see that it was killed.
It probably would have been. They should have ripped the band-aid off and moved the entire facility.

As for the money wasted on this....it's actually somewhat low in comparison to other FAA "proyects" that never got to see the light of day. Not sure if any of you have ever heard of something called "sector suite", but that was a much more ambitious project, that ended up getting canned, and while I honesty don't remember the exact amount, it was over 1+ billion for sure. There were other attempts to either move or consolidate ZNY and N90 (crystal palace anyone?), and same thing, just more waste of money.

Every generation seems to have a few of these clueless "geniuses" in high positions at both the regional and headquarters level who have no actual clue about the operation, but they're full of great ideas on how to fix things. 😂

It probably would have been. They should have ripped the band-aid off and moved the entire facility.
Yes. Moving off Long Island has tons of tangible and intangible benefits. However, 804 is public law. The faa doesn’t get to bypass Congress because they are afraid Congress might not like what they want to do. Have the balls to stand by your decisions. It also would have made sense to let trainees who hadn’t started training swap around during Covid to reduce future transfers and training expenses, but there was no mechanism to allow it. The faa doesn’t get to bypass the rules to help it’s executives look good, while holding the line to further oppress its workforce.

Last edited:
I’m asking out of sheer curiosity, and assume it’s why this is such a hot button issue, but what specifically would physically relocationg the one area do to cause such a mess? What would that do to the operation that couldn’t be done somewhere else?

I’m asking out of sheer curiosity, and assume it’s why this is such a hot button issue, but what specifically would physically relocationg the one area do to cause such a mess? What would that do to the operation that couldn’t be done somewhere else?
Other than people owning homes there/not wanting to relocate. Which is a fairly big issue

From what I understand they have a diverging line where planes can be separated ifr by target sep as long as they are on their side of the line for like EWR and LGA areas for common configurations. Moving the tracon would put an end to this and would effectively cut the operation down significantly as there is no way to run both airports simultaneously at their upper aar’s without this separation waiver.

From what I understand they have a diverging line where planes can be separated ifr by target sep as long as they are on their side of the line for like EWR and LGA areas for common configurations. Moving the tracon would put an end to this and would effectively cut the operation down significantly as there is no way to run both airports simultaneously at their upper aar’s without this separation waiver.
Love all the special rules. Like how 2 of the facilities have no business being level 11 but it’s New York.

Back
Top Bottom