NCEPT and NiW

UNABLE STBY

This isn't a surprise, but NCEPT was a popular topic of conversation at NiW. Paul and Trish talked about it during the Q&A, as well as the RVPs that were there.

They are well aware of the unhappiness that's out there about this process. That small facilities are seeing their numbers boosted yet losing controllers right when they check out. That the higher levels aren't necessarily getting bodies they need. And that there are holes in the process (waivers, supe selections).

I'm not someone who drinks the NATCA kool-aid and here's what I would say after attending.

The old process was awful. Arbitrary 2-year release dates and no rhyme or reason to the ERR. The design behind this process is focused on the FAA needing to hire more controllers - which they are. OKC is flooded with students right now (pass rates are a different conversation). When more get hired, more go into the system and this process begins to work better. It's a mess right now. They're playing a long game with the FAA that when hiring goals are met this process will be an organized way to transfer.

I have no idea how they'll solve the N90 -type issues.

Flame away.

They should not be allowed to hire someone direct to a place that has current cpcs trying to transfer into. 5 new hires should not go to Seattle tower while 200 current cpcs with ERRs arent even being considered. There should also be a minimum time of CPC status before being able to file ERR... 6 months or a year or something.

The facility priority list should also not be the sole factor into determining who gets to leave first. I hate that the person who just certified to make us eligible could be the first person selected just because his/her request was to go to a facility higher on the list than mine. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here for 3 years, continually getting passed over.

Last edited:
I would also like to add the leadership's constant citing of the flaws of the old process are irrelevant when addressing the flaws of the new. The old process had to go. No one argues against that. They fill their rebuttals with statements that are true but also don't apply. 'It's a step in the right direction' is not a valid argument.
Stop skipping CPCs with new hires.
Stop skipping the trainer with the trainee.

I would also like to add the leadership's constant citing of the flaws of the old process are irrelevant when addressing the flaws of the new. The old process had to go. No one argues against that. They fill their rebuttals with statements that are true but also don't apply. 'It's a step in the right direction' is not a valid argument.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is constantly what I keep getting told from NATCA. While they aren't wrong, that doesn't mean they're making it right.

Took the words right out of my mouth, their primary defense is well the old process was broken and allowed for people to have multiple signed FOL's etc. No one is denying those flaws. Nationwide data sharing is not difficult, it was not difficult to fix that issue.
I would much rather have a 2 year release date, knowing that I had some semblance of career advancement vs what we're up against now.

We went from not being able to have a release... To possibly 1 in a year... Now it looks like one of three will have a 3 month release. All that changed in the matter of a day. Its unsettling how inconsistent the process of advancement has become.

The design behind this process is focused on the FAA needing to hire more controllers - which they are.

That's totally wrong though. This process is so bad for some towers that it's forced controllers to quit.

The design behind this process is focused on the FAA needing to hire more controllers - which they are.
I was going to let this slide, but since Dolan commented on it too I'll have a go at it. It should read something like this,
"The design behind this process is entirely dependant on the FAA hiring more controllers".
While it is great that the FAA has ramped up hiring, this process is pushing every facility toward the national average, which is a failsafe for the FAA for when they inevitably miss hiring goals or heaven forbid, another hiring freeze ensues. The FAA doesn't give a f*** whether you're happy where you're at, whether you have career advancement opportunities, your working conditions, etc. These are the things we rely on our union to protect for us and by signing off on the NCEPT they've failed us.

I also don't like that facilities cannot deny a person on an ERR. I don't believe in discrimination but when someone is a bad employee, we have all had to work with one or two, they should not be rewarded by this system. Managers and facreps (should) be working towards creating a solid workforce that will get along and compliment each other. To have a shitty controller/bad attitude person thrown into your facility can disrupt all that.

I also don't like that facilities cannot deny a person on an ERR. I don't believe in discrimination but when someone is a bad employee, we have all had to work with one or two, they should not be rewarded by this system. Managers and facreps (should) be working towards creating a solid workforce that will get along and compliment each other. To have a shitty controller/bad attitude person thrown into your facility can disrupt all that.

I think this is already happening....

If it is I haven't read or seen anything about it. Only the stories where the facilities get stuck with them.

Back
Top Bottom