NCEPT debate thread

is Article 60 - Facility of Preference (gives priority to CPCs certified a minimum of 8 years for ingrade/downgrade bargaining unit positions) totally obsolete now? Does it co-exist and work w NCEPT at all? I mean... does Article 60 still get someone to the top of a facilities ranking list? I have rarely heard it ever mentioned in conjunction with or since, NCEPT.
No

Many areas that need/could be looked at, but when I talk to people at different facilities and look at my own experiences, I think a lot of the issue is the training process the FAA uses.
They put you in classroom and labs for weeks, maybe months, sometimes having to wait for others to start. Then when you start the classroom and labs they don't train or teach you anything but rather evaluate you. You run some problems up to 110% of the traffic workload/complexity and you get eval'ed at levels up to 100% just to get to the floor and start to train. Why are we running problems on traffic levels busier than the facility has and why are we expecting satisfactory evaluations on 100% traffic load prior to the controller even working on the floor? Labs can be good and give a controller a base to start training on the floor, but months in labs are overkill. Why don't we use them throughout training to supplement situations such as seasonal weather, complexity, or unusual situations?
Additionally, why do we make all controllers go through the entire facility to get checked out at busier up/downs? Center controllers don't go through every area. I know CLT and I believe MIA, has an A and B track of sorts and it seems to work there just fine. At my facility we have center transfers that hate tower and struggle upstairs and we also have a few trainees currently washing in the radar room but checked out in the tower with no problem. If staffing and certification time was really that important why not cut the training program in half while keeping those who have demonstrated the ability to work and help staff the facility?

is Article 60 - Facility of Preference (gives priority to CPCs certified a minimum of 8 years for ingrade/downgrade bargaining unit positions) totally obsolete now? Does it co-exist and work w NCEPT at all? I mean... does Article 60 still get someone to the top of a facilities ranking list? I have rarely heard it ever mentioned in conjunction with or since, NCEPT.
That article was complete eliminated by NCEPT, I forgot where I seen it but it’s in one of the NCEPT MOUs. 99% of the time that article was ignored anyway which is too bad, it could have helped some people.

Mock NCEPT panel was today I can’t wait to hear the news.

actual footage of the meeting. ??? hearing there was a lot of fun and games and bull-shit!

giphy.gif

"should now move up on the priority list" ... guess we'll see whaaa hapenz in Sep . ASE #1? put me down as a skeptic :lol:

#2 screws people wanting to go to lower level specific facilities near the end of their career if they happen to be above 85%. That kind of stinks.

[edit] To expand about this: I thought the reason the agency was up in arms about NCEPT was low checkout rates. Why come out all of a sudden swinging against lower level facilities above 85%? What does that have to do with training success rates?

Last edited:
Someone want to translate this into English? Please. I’m not sure what this all means..but doesn’t sound good...

I agree. confusing. read it about five times.

what does AOB stand for? at or below?

can someone verify that these changes have more to do with facilities are able to accept transfers rather than the requirements for facilities to release controllers?!

just read it again. so CAT II now has to satisfy 2 categories which will be both Current & Projected CPC numbers have to be above 85%?
stilll a bit confused.

I agree. confusing. read it about five times.

what does AOB stand for? at or below?

can someone verify that these changes have more to do with facilities are able to accept transfers rather than the requirements for facilities to release controllers?!

just read it again. so CAT II now has to satisfy 2 categories which will be both Current & Projected CPC numbers have to be above 85%?
stilll a bit confused.
Its both. Raising release requirement to AOB 85% will remove a bunch of facilities and most centers and will nerf movement huge.
Raising CPC/trainee ratio to above 30% will prevent the facilities drowning in trainees from getting any more.

Back
Top Bottom