NCEPT debate thread

Its both. Raising release requirement to AOB 85% will remove a bunch of facilities and most centers and will nerf movement huge.
Raising CPC/trainee ratio to above 30% will prevent the facilities drowning in trainees from getting any more.

So compared to the previous both numbers must be greater than 85% to be a CAT II. vs the previous greater than national average and projected. satisfied must be greater than 85%

"Consideration of ERR requests will generally occur up to a projected CPC to target of at or below 85%". If I'm understanding this correctly and based on the last PPT, that really only includes 16 facilities?

View attachment 2678

so this is what facilities would be able to pick up correct?

Of the ones that actually do have the projected % to target of 85% of less, there are only 11 that don't have a training backlog of 30% or more. So make that 11 facilities. Basically just came up with rules to completely halt movement while still having a panel to satisfy the MOU with a lot of "generally", "normally" vague language, so they can do whatever they want.

They think an AOB restriction raise to 85% will incentivize certifications.
It also seems like this will send NCEPT back to the dark ages when the only people on the ranking list will be low level tower only guys with a staffing number under 15. Great news for the terminal academy and prev exp hires.

I agree. confusing. read it about five times.

what does AOB stand for? at or below?

can someone verify that these changes have more to do with facilities are able to accept transfers rather than the requirements for facilities to release controllers?!

just read it again. so CAT II now has to satisfy 2 categories which will be both Current & Projected CPC numbers have to be above 85%?
stilll a bit confused.
AOB stands for Actual On Board and is the number of CPCs in house down to the day. So Bob that retires tomorrow is AOB today.

I do not understand why this process is micro-managed and over-controlled. Why can we not have a system where if you want to go to a said location you can apply directly to that location at any given time. Then, that said location will choose when it wants to accept an applicant at a time that is good for them. The facility itself knows when it wants to add another trainee to the pool. They will choose this applicant based on criteria they feel will offer that person that best chance to certify. Once they select you, your current location will look to see if they can release you based on staffing. If they can, then perfect you are released. If they cannot, there can be open discussions between both facilities to figure out how a person can get from their current facility to the place they want to be. Maybe the staffing is just so poor that they cannot allow a person to go (which is no different than now), but maybe they can figure out a way to let you go if x amount of ppl certify down the line. I just think they are trying to make a system too regulated when it should be very fluid and negotiable. Just my 2 cents in the matter. I guess this is kind of what it was like pre-ncept? I'm not sure how it worked before ncept.

I think there are a few issues that are not helping the matter right now:
1) Facilities are taking on new trainees when it is not the best time for them
2) controllers are trying to "play the game" of getting out of their facility asap rather than actually waiting to go where they want to end up in the end because ncept is a very stressful process where you really have no control in helping yourself get to where you want to go. it feels like a lottery process and ppl don't want to "feel stuck".
3) perhaps interviews should be a part of the process so facilities looking for a new controller could talk to applicants and actually learn about their experience, learn about their intentions, and get a better understanding of who they are before blindly choosing someone

Mick Devine is Whitey Bulger reincarnated, ********************** He has shepherded NCEPT into the abyss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think interviews will ever be a requirement. People already have the ability to visit facilities set up a tour and sale themselves to the ATM, or facrep.
One downside about it is even if you get yourself placed at the top of the ranking list, it doesn't mean the NCEPT panel will pick you for that spot.

Can anyone explain why NCEPT won't staff 10+ facilities to 100%?

"Consideration of ERR requests will generally occur up to a projected CPC to target of at or below 85%". If I'm understanding this correctly and based on the last PPT, that really only includes 20ish facilities?

View attachment 2679

Then also remove the facilities that have 30% and greater trainee/cpc ratios. You're left with 11 facilities.

Apply NCEPT SOP paragraph 3.5.5 as follows: Consideration of ERR requests will generally occur up to a projected CPC to target of at or below 85%. ERR requests above 85% of projected CPC to target will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Requests for transfer to Facility Pay Level (FPL) 9 and below facilities up to 100% of the projected CPC to target percentage will only be considered for extenuating circumstances after all other ERR requests have been reviewed. The NCEPT panel may expand consideration up to 100% to include additional FPL facilities. A facility will normally not be considered to receive employees if the ratio of CPC-IT/DEV to total number of controllers is at or above 30%

Why even have a process that's written down if it's totally meaningless?

Back
Top Bottom