ODO rules

GulfBravoPapa

⭐SuperStar
When did the ODO rules change again? I feel like I missed a briefing because this five day elms (dumb method of distributing the information) is contradicting everything my current facility does. Apparently ODO now applies to IFR and VFR aircraft and includes parallel runways...? And can only be conducted during VFR conditions? Since when? And why do we keep changing the rules?

Neither is simultaneous parallel. That’s my point
Simultaneous parallel is opposite direction by default.
At Denver, the distance between the sets of parallels I'm sure plays into the reasoning for why 16L and 35L aren't considered ODO. Maybe even the offset is taken into account.
But if they were to land 17L and 35L together, that would require ODO rules.

Just because they say it isn’t doesn’t reflect reality. My first facility used to say that if we landed an aircraft the opposite direction of the ATIS advertised runway it was ODO and wasn’t allowed. Regardless of traffic or if they were the only aircraft in the sky.
Your example would be an Opposite Direction Operation; it would require all the same coordination as if there was an arrival inbound to the reciprocal runway with multiple departures. (assuming the coordination is taking place between the approach controller and the tower controller. If it's the tower controller changing the arrival runway into an opposite direction, it doesn't have to be coordinated with approach.)

When ODO was first introduced in 2013, it did take a little while to iron out the inconsistencies in interpretations between regions/districts/facilities/etc...that's how you end up with one facility saying "if it's not an operation to the advertised runway, it's not allowed...period!"

Your example would be an Opposite Direction Operation; it would require all the same coordination as if there was an arrival inbound to the reciprocal runway with multiple departures. (assuming the coordination is taking place between the approach controller and the tower controller. If it's the tower controller changing the arrival runway into an opposite direction, it doesn't have to be coordinated with approach.)

When ODO was first introduced in 2013, it did take a little while to iron out the inconsistencies in interpretations between regions/districts/facilities/etc...that's how you end up with one facility saying "if it's not an operation to the advertised runway, it's not allowed...period!"
It was tower changing the runway. Management told us absolutely 100% no on it. 5 years ago though. We would just thumb our noses at them by flipping the atis off and clearing them on the opposite runway

Back
Top Bottom