Paid Parental Leave

Heres the mou

Attachments

• Paid-Parental-Leave-FAA-signed-13-May-2020.pdf
    214.1 KB · Views: 72
Heres the mou

So, what is the significance of Section 4? I thought the rules of this are pretty clear per what’s written in the Paid Leave Act. The MOU says the Paid Leave Act will be followed in the beginning in the MOU. I don’t understand what’s bargainable about this and why it needs to be revisited at a later date. I also don’t know the specifics of how in-depth labor relations works. It just seems sketchy to me and that the agency may want to use this as a bargain chip down the road for us to probably get rid of something. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Thoughts?

“Section 4. In accordance with the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs), the Agency will provide the Union with notice of and the opportunity to bargain over the Agency’s PPL policy, once it is completed. However, if the Agency has not provided notice and the opportunity to bargain by July 31, 2020, the Parties will meet the week of August 3, 2020, to conduct negotiations regarding the Union’s PPL proposal submitted on April 22, 2020. Any agreement reached as result of those negotiations will cancel and replace this Agreement.”

Last edited:
The act doesn't include the FAA, so what's written in it is irrelevant. The FAA version of it isn't finalized, and that's what s4 is about; future changes not being unilateral.

So, what is the significance of Section 4? I thought the rules of this are pretty clear per what’s written in the Paid Leave Act. The MOU says the Paid Leave Act will be followed in the beginning in the MOU. I don’t understand what’s bargainable about this and why it needs to be revisited at a later date. I also don’t know the specifics of how in-depth labor relations works. It just seems sketchy to me and that the agency may want to use this as a bargain chip down the road for us to probably get rid of something. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Thoughts?

“Section 4. In accordance with the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs), the Agency will provide the Union with notice of and the opportunity to bargain over the Agency’s PPL policy, once it is completed. However, if the Agency has not provided notice and the opportunity to bargain by July 31, 2020, the Parties will meet the week of August 3, 2020, to conduct negotiations regarding the Union’s PPL proposal submitted on April 22, 2020. Any agreement reached as result of those negotiations will cancel and replace this Agreement.”

That law doesn't apply to us. The union submitted a proposal basically saying that we will get benefits matching the law. I think the misunderstanding is partially due to that, and partially due to thinking this is the official new policy.

This is an MOU saying that the agency has agreed with the unions request to offer benefits consistent to those received by the rest of the federal government. Note the first paragraph, "the Agency's INTENT to implement..." They still have to publish the order, which then requires further collaboration as per the contract.

Section 4 is saying that the agency has until July 31 to draw up the actual order and the terms of those benefits, and then they will meet with the union for negotiation to see if the terms they've made are acceptable, or if there are any holes in the language, if they left anything out, etc.

If they fail to do this, then instead of negotiating based on the agency's proposal, the two parties will instead use the unions earlier proposal as the starting point of negotiations.

Does that make sense? This is effectively just a letter of intent and the official policy will come out in early August. Barring some negotiations breakdown of course, but this looks pretty cut and dry.

The only thing I can't find in my research on this paid parental leave is how much you get paid. I've heard someone say 60% pay but I can't find it anywhere in the MOU or elsewhere. Anybody know?

The only thing I can't find in my research on this paid parental leave is how much you get paid. I've heard someone say 60% pay but I can't find it anywhere in the MOU or elsewhere. Anybody know?
To my knowledge it is full pay, minus differentials/etc... Basically just another type of leave.

It’s full pay when you have a baby. You might be thinking about the 2/3 pay you get if you take the special FMLA because of corona.

Back
Top Bottom