Point-out below MIA?

julietoscar

Trusted Contributor
At center airspace that borders several approach controls. Today approach calls to point out an aircraft at 4,000 and it was just clipping a section where my MIA is 4,300. I know their MIA is 4,000 or lower because they have different radar or something. Can I legally approve the point out or do I have to tell them to climb the ac to 4300?

Solution
At center airspace that borders several approach controls. Today approach calls to point out an aircraft at 4,000 and it was just clipping a section where my MIA is 4,300. I know their MIA is 4,000 or lower because they have different radar or something. Can I legally approve the point out or do I have to tell them to climb the ac to 4300?
It's inside your airspace. The actual altitude is irrelevant.
It's inside your airspace. The actual altitude is irrelevant.

Solution
A point-out is just making you aware of an aircraft near your airspace. You're not responsible for it's separation except for your own traffic after you approve it.
Yes you can approve.

If they tried to hand them off you would want to wait to accept it until it was in a legal altitude for you to work the aircraft. Point out is good to go.

Tracons have MVAs. But same thing.

Back
Top Bottom