Post-Academy Housing Question

XM

Trusted Contributor
FAA
Facility
ZJX Jacksonville Center
Hello everyone!

I'm not even sure I'm posting this in the right place, so if it's not, moderators please correct me and I do apologize in advance.

I have scoured the forums for a few months and have been unable to find the answer to a question I have been pondering. For everyone that graduates the academy, how do you go about finding a place to live that's near your new facility, in the short time frame they give you to travel to report to your new facility, especially when you are by yourself (no kids or spouse, and no friends and family in the new area)? Do you use your 8 days extra time off to help you move to your new place and give you a few extra days time to find and get approved for an apartment/rental? Do you use a hotel for a few days so you can report to your facility on time and find a place after you get off?

I recently applied to the FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607 bid and would like to know what to expect in the case I did get through this recruiting process.

Thank you!

I used all 8 days at my first facility. Didn’t need a hotel but an extended stay for two weeks might not be a bad idea.
You can also report to your facility and work for a week or two while looking at the areas first, then take your 8 days and apply for apartments.

I used all 8 days at my first facility. Didn’t need a hotel but an extended stay for two weeks might not be a bad idea.
You can also report to your facility and work for a week or two while looking at the areas first, then take your 8 days and apply for apartments.

Thank you for a quick reply! I didn't think of it that way; I mean, using that 8 days AFTER being in the area for a few days to scout around. That makes complete sense!

The wife and I camped in the back of my truck for a week while we found a place to rent. Not the best option but we enjoy camping and such so it worked for us. I know some facilities will also have controllers who rent rooms out to new trainees on a short term basis.

If you just applied, I wouldn’t worry about finding housing after placement at this point. Even you end up being selected, and get through all of the pre-employment requirements, and pass Basics, and then pass Initial Tower/Enroute, you’re looking at a year or more into the future at least.

The wife and I camped in the back of my truck for a week while we found a place to rent. Not the best option but we enjoy camping and such so it worked for us. I know some facilities will also have controllers who rent rooms out to new trainees on a short term basis.

Thats an option too, lol. Currently, my girlfriend is in school and won't graduate until April/May of 2022, so in the case this process goes quickly for me (when it comes to the MMPI and clearances), I will have to move away and fend for myself until she can come. With what you said, it gives me the idea to use my bus conversion if I can get it finished enough to be livable to go camping for a few days while looking around. Thanks Mr. Tickles!

If you just applied, I wouldn’t worry about finding housing after placement at this point. Even you end up being selected, and get through all of the pre-employment requirements, and pass Basics, and then pass Initial Tower/Enroute, you’re looking at a year or more into the future at least.

I'm not too worried about it, just wanting to get different opinions at this time. Just playing a curious card right now, but thank you for the timeline input! I've seen some people from the 2016 bid still held up because of the Tier 2 they received, so in the case that's me, I know I won't be going anywhere anytime soon lol

You also don’t need to use your 8 days all at once. You can break it up anyway you want. You just have to use it within...I think 24 months (if I’m wrong then someone will correct me) otherwise you’ll forfeit. Make sure you tell them you want to use change of station leave too otherwise they might charge you annual.

Recently new hires have been staying at the hotels while in OKC and banking the rewards points and then using those to stay in a hotel in their new city while they look for a place to live.

I can totally understand this. Getting 3-4 months of rewards points and then being able to use it at sister hotels, even if it's including the area of your new facility and staying for free or extremely cheap. Makes sense! Thank you!

You also don’t need to use your 8 days all at once. You can break it up anyway you want. You just have to use it within...I think 24 months (if I’m wrong then someone will correct me) otherwise you’ll forfeit. Make sure you tell them you want to use change of station leave too otherwise they might charge you annual.

I didn't think you'd have to use your 8 days. What I didn't know what that you had 2 different types of leave off the bat, if I understand you correctly. But I'd definitely use it within the 24 months, or however long it is before you forfeit the time. Thanks!

You’re basically on your own. You should do preliminary research pretty much everywhere to have an idea for each potential location.

That's pretty much what I expected. We're doing research and figuring out what places would be ideal to live for us, and we have a long list of places we could live, taking into account the lowest cost of income first. Thank you!

You’re basically on your own. You should do preliminary research pretty much everywhere to have an idea for each potential location.
Yikes.... Don't listen to this. There are way too many locations in the US to be trying to research where you should stay...... In all honesty you should just forget about the bid until they email you something to do. Once you get towards the end of the Academy you can start worrying about where you're gonna go and what needs to happen .

Yikes.... Don't listen to this. There are way too many locations in the US to be trying to research where you should stay...... In all honesty you should just forget about the bid until they email you something to do. Once you get towards the end of the Academy you can start worrying about where you're gonna go and what needs to happen .
I mean once your ont he academy. The first time looking at Jacksonville neighborhoods should be 2 days before you move there. And It makes a big difference if it’s tower or enroute. If your enroute you better have some research on Oakland done BEFORE it’s time to drive.

In addition to what everybody here has been saying on here, keep in mind that Sat/Sun will be your RDOs, therefore if you place on a Friday, you'll have two days off before your travel days even begin. Then your travel days kick in, and THEN you'll tap into your COS. If you win the lottery you'll place on a Friday, have your RDOs, a holiday(that you will get paid for) on Monday, and then your travel days and THEN you can tap into your COS.

So, say your facility is 4 days travel by car from OKC, you place on Friday, RDOs, then a holiday, your travel days don't start until Tuesday, add your four travel days, you are now back to your RDOs without even touching COS.

If you’re en route, find areas that fit your criteria for where you want to live early (price, proximity to the center, rural/urban, good schools etc.) Then once you get your list you can narrow it down to specific apartment complexes or houses within it. If you get Terminal I wouldn’t even worry about it until you have a list. You couldn’t possibly do enough research to find a good place to live at a few hundred facilities across the country.

Wtf? Really? There's what, 20 different enroute facilities? You get a possible list the week before finals right? You have a week to research areas. At that point look for rentals, and book yourself an Airbnb for a week or two. Then once you're there and can look at rentals. Do it..... Don't look up every facility in the NAS and try to determine where you're going to live in 2 years. This is some wild advice in here.

Wtf? Really? There's what, 20 different enroute facilities? You get a possible list the week before finals right? You have a week to research areas. At that point look for rentals, and book yourself an Airbnb for a week or two. Then once you're there and can look at rentals. Do it..... Don't look up every facility in the NAS and try to determine where you're going to live in 2 years. This is some wild advice in here.
you got nothing else to do when your sitting in Oklahoma for 4 months.

There’s more than enough down time in OKC to look up general areas to live for 20 facilities. I did it myself. Maybe I’m just a psycho who slipped through the cracks of the MMPI.

Hello everyone!

I'm not even sure I'm posting this in the right place, so if it's not, moderators please correct me and I do apologize in advance.

I have scoured the forums for a few months and have been unable to find the answer to a question I have been pondering. For everyone that graduates the academy, how do you go about finding a place to live that's near your new facility, in the short time frame they give you to travel to report to your new facility, especially when you are by yourself (no kids or spouse, and no friends and family in the new area)? Do you use your 8 days extra time off to help you move to your new place and give you a few extra days time to find and get approved for an apartment/rental? Do you use a hotel for a few days so you can report to your facility on time and find a place after you get off?

I recently applied to the FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607 bid and would like to know what to expect in the case I did get through this recruiting process.

Thank you!

You can use your 8 days anytime within 2 years of getting to your facility. Ask around the facility for area’s to live and go from there.

There’s more than enough down time in OKC to look up general areas to live for 20 facilities. I did it myself. Maybe I’m just a psycho who slipped through the cracks of the MMPI.
Yeah but this dude is asking for now. Atleast that's how I read it. Sure at OKC if you wanna look it up instead of whatever else, go for it. But before even hearing about a classmate? Seems ridiculous

Yeah but this dude is asking for now. Atleast that's how I read it. Sure at OKC if you wanna look it up instead of whatever else, go for it. But before even hearing about a classmate? Seems ridiculous
It’s smart once he finds out he better have like 10k saved if he gets Oakland.

Back
Top Bottom