Realistic grievance

I mean that's a totally different situation than waiting literal years to train at some facilities. It's totally out of hand in a lot of places and it's absolutely unacceptable.

There needs to be some way to address that problem, be it a time limit you can be kept in a training payband, or some way to opt out of that facility after a certain amount of time without receiving training, without it being a withdrawal and training failure.

There's no reason someone should be sitting at any facility not training for multiple years or having enormous gaps of time measured in years between positions. That's a failure on the FAA's part, and if they want to say training is at the agency's discretion, the union needs to hold them accountable when thier bad decisions lead to huge training backlogs, and provide some reasonable recourse for those of us who are losing thousands a year in earnings and retirement.
Preach it. It is why I transferred (among other reasons), no reason to was almost a decade at a facility.

I'm definitely of the opinion that's not an unreasonable route for me after nearly 4 years of non progression at my current facility.
That was the thing though, push me through success/failure at least it’ll move forward. It was a major blot on my self esteem until I showed up at my current up/down and certified on approach in less than 4 weeks when the standard is 3-6 months.

Preach it. It is why I transferred (among other reasons), no reason to was almost a decade at a facility.
If only they had a break where the trainees could request closer to home rather than just sit for years. There would be no way to suspend training without some sort of country wide emergency though

If only they had a break where the trainees could request closer to home rather than just sit for years. There would be no way to suspend training without some sort of country wide emergency though
It’d be nice if they brought back the regional placement. Somehow so many people get placed on the other side of the country from where they’re from. Somehow someone like me from the west coast gets stuck in the east and then someone whose from the east gets stuck in the west without fail. Very few people actually go in the right side of the country

It’d be nice if they brought back the regional placement. Somehow so many people get placed on the other side of the country from where they’re from. Somehow someone like me from the west coast gets stuck in the east and then someone whose from the east gets stuck in the west without fail. Very few people actually go in the right side of the country
Alternatively you could err to your hometown (where you don't necessarily want or require yourself to be) and be stuck in forever training purgatory.

Grass ain't always greener.

I applied to 12 separate state bids when I first applied. I’d bet that anyone serious about this career would do the same. It doesn’t make sense to let a person only choose one geographical area as that would cut your chances of being hired by quite a bit. You would find people putting in for regions with the most low level vfr towers just to get a shot.

I applied to 12 separate state bids when I first applied. I’d bet that anyone serious about this career would do the same. It doesn’t make sense to let a person only choose one geographical area as that would cut your chances of being hired by quite a bit. You would find people putting in for regions with the most low level vfr towers just to get a shot.
I see that. I just find it ironic how two people from opposite ends of the country end up on the wrong side of it.

Yeah, I know plenty of people who got in by listing the states that had the most facilities, then immediately started bitching about how it was impossible to transfer out. As long as there's even a slim possibility of moving, including hardships, you're always gonna have people who swear up and down that working at ACK is their lifelong dream, then change their tune the moment they get hired.

Yeah, I know plenty of people who got in by listing the states that had the most facilities, then immediately started bitching about how it was impossible to transfer out. As long as there's even a slim possibility of moving, including hardships, you're always gonna have people who swear up and down that working at ACK is their lifelong dream, then change their tune the moment they get hired.
Even if there was no method of moving people would still bitch. It’s what we do. I know multiple people who got their “dream” facility and bitched up a storm after getting there and some even bid back out lol. Grass isn’t always greener.

It’s really not that difficult. They just actually have to utilize the preference section that you fill out instead of it being a placebo. You select a certain region or willing to go anywhere. You might have to wait longer for your region but I’m sure everyone in that category would be more than willing to wait. You fill in all those hard to staff facilities in bfe with the second group. If it gets to a point where people are turning down certain hard to staff facilities, post local bids for them.

Lack of Union participation is a symptom of a non functioning union
This appears to be a generational thing. For some reason the younger generation of controllers doesn't seem to be too interested in taking an active part in the Union. It is a very troubling sign about the future of the union.

This appears to be a generational thing. For some reason the younger generation of controllers doesn't seem to be too interested in taking an active part in the Union. It is a very troubling sign about the future of the union.
I've been to more than one big union gathering where people have in essence been told to shut up and color by union big wigs when they ask valid questions or voice concerns over whatever the issue of the day is. I've seen emails friends have sent to regional reps with....less than positive responses to put it nicely, and I've seen a union who isn't particularly concerned with fixing issues "my generation" of controllers are having.

Shit in, shit out.

I've been to more than one big union gathering where people have in essence been told to shut up and color by union big wigs when they ask valid questions or voice concerns over whatever the issue of the day is. I've seen emails friends have sent to regional reps with....less than positive responses to put it nicely, and I've seen a union who isn't particularly concerned with fixing issues "my generation" of controllers are having.

Shit in, shit out.
Has anyone seen a young guy take out the pres at a big facility? That is something I’d love to see

This is the American way. You have to suck the hiring managers dick to get a job even if it’s cleaning toilets in corporate America. In the government you have to act like you want to work in BFE.

Shit in, shit out.
They arent interested in any feedback that isnt 100% positive. Anybody that complains about working 6 days a week, 5 under the staffing number every day, is just painted as somebody thats not senior to be bitching.

NATCA feels like what George Carlin said in that standup special. "Its a big club, and you aint in it!". If you arent one of their chosen people to coddle, they really DGAF what you have to say.

They arent interested in any feedback that isnt 100% positive. Anybody that complains about working 6 days a week, 5 under the staffing number every day, is just painted as somebody thats not senior to be bitching.

NATCA feels like what George Carlin said in that standup special. "Its a big club, and you aint in it!". If you arent one of their chosen people to coddle, they really DGAF what you have to say.
But don't forget to donate to the PAC!

Back
Top Bottom