Realistic grievance

Gotta love a union that gives its own members the "you're assuming you're going to check out" line.

Bruh you are my representative. You should be assuming I'll check out too.
And they literally make more money when people check out and that doesn’t even motivate them.

Hard agree. When you jump three levels and just about catch your half on the go via step raises before you are halfway thru the training program shits fucked. As it stands right now I'll definitely be looking at a paltry 6 percent raise for 4 plus years of training purgatory.
In a half on the go situation, you won't lose your step increases. When you check out, HR will take the 2nd lump sum and just add it to what salary you are currently at. The only part you are losing by being delayed is the step increase percentage of that second lump sum.

This appears to be a generational thing. For some reason the younger generation of controllers doesn't seem to be too interested in taking an active part in the Union. It is a very troubling sign about the future of the union.

When we were sitting at home on AG pay we were told to be grateful because look what Canada did. I don't live in Canada so how does that answer my question? All we wanted was to feel like we mattered. The union told us that we didn't.

I can say without a doubt that most of the trainees at my Z are going to quit the union as soon as we CPC because of the lack of consideration we were given during this quarantine.

When we were sitting at home on AG pay we were told to be grateful because look what Canada did. I don't live in Canada so how does that answer my question? All we wanted was to feel like we mattered. The union told us that we didn't.

I can say without a doubt that most of the trainees at my Z are going to quit the union as soon as we CPC because of the lack of consideration we were given during this quarantine.
That all sounds nice but I bet 90% won’t follow through and quit. Even after certifying.

While this certainly is people’s right. I don’t see how people think weakening the union is the solution.

And I’ll bet when these guys go to TRBs(not saying they all will) they’ll be the first to raise their hands for union representation.

In a half on the go situation, you won't lose your step increases. When you check out, HR will take the 2nd lump sum and just add it to what salary you are currently at. The only part you are losing by being delayed is the step increase percentage of that second lump sum.

I've been told I just go to the bottom of the band, or 6 percent whatever is more which I'm rapidly catching up to the bottom of the band.

I've been told I just go to the bottom of the band, or 6 percent whatever is more which I'm rapidly catching up to the bottom of the band.
Correct, you go to the bottom of the band. The bottom of the band moves with the July negotiated Slate Book increases, but you miss out on all the January presidential raises.

Correct, you go to the bottom of the band. The bottom of the band moves with the July negotiated Slate Book increases, but you miss out on all the January presidential raises.
The band does not move with the June pay raise. Only the January one. If you are talking about transferring and not your initial training with Dev steps then you will keep your raises. Your salary will go up in line with the Jan raise so if you are missing anything it will be peanuts. If it’s 1% January raise based on 3,000 on cert you are losing a whole $30 annually.

Whichever is “higher” is the key. If you get 3% on the go and that puts you into the CPC band you don’t just go to the bottom. And when you certify you don’t just go to the bottom. Think of it as two lump sums of the same amount that are factored off of your salary when you leave for your new facility “it gets recalculated if you get raises before your release”. Twice I moved and ended up above the band after cert and my June raises were included in my final salary once the second lump sum “second half on cert” was added.

Last edited:
This appears to be a generational thing. For some reason the younger generation of controllers doesn't seem to be too interested in taking an active part in the Union. It is a very troubling sign about the future of the union.
It’s not a generation thing. People have become apathetic because they see less and less light between management and the upper levels of our union. NCEPT is a good example. NATCA trading away paid moves and movement in general to help the FAA with buffering their staffing shortage.

It’s not a generation thing. People have become apathetic because they see less and less light between management and the upper levels of our union. NCEPT is a good example. NATCA trading away paid moves and movement in general to help the FAA with buffering their staffing shortage.
There is no light between. They didn’t even try to get us a better contract

I'll disagree with you there. I'm now retired, so this is no longer my fight. While I was active, we were always VERY vocal if there was something we were not in agreement with, either with management or with our own union guys, and that was the prevailing attitude with most of us. I did notice as time went by, that the younger controllers seemed to not be as engaged as we were, and tend to avoid confrontation. It was not unusual for us to get into shouting matches and right in their face. Nowadays that's called "hostile work environment" and all that PC bullshit. In the end, is YOUR union! I can't understand why all of you don't do something about it if you feel they're not representing you. You have the power of the vote. Don't like who's in office? Run for office! Letting these clowns run unopposed tells them that you're either ok with all they do, or that you don't care!

I'll disagree with you there. I'm now retired, so this is no longer my fight. While I was active, we were always VERY vocal if there was something we were not in agreement with, either with management or with our own union guys, and that was the prevailing attitude with most of us. I did notice as time went by, that the younger controllers seemed to not be as engaged as we were, and tend to avoid confrontation. It was not unusual for us to get into shouting matches and right in their face. Nowadays that's called "hostile work environment" and all that PC bullshit. In the end, is YOUR union! I can't understand why all of you don't do something about it if you feel they're not representing you. You have the power of the vote. Don't like who's in office? Run for office! Letting these clowns run unopposed tells them that you're either ok with all they do, or that you don't care!
That’s the problem. Everyone wants to bitch and moan about NATCA doing shitty things but none of these people would ever run for office. Its too much work. It’s easier just to bitch and be grumpy all the time.

Nah. It's pretty grey and most people just say that because that is the original intention of the raise, but it's not what happens. Whatever exact dollar amount raise you got when you first transferred to your facility, you will get that exact dollar amount added to whatever your salary is when you check out. In your case it will put you quite a bit ahead of the bottom of the pay band.

That’s the problem. Everyone wants to bitch and moan about NATCA doing shitty things but none of these people would ever run for office. Its too much work. It’s easier just to bitch and be grumpy all the time.
It'd be ok if they bitched at their union guys. With enough loud bitching you may get things changed. The problem is that rather than bitching loudly, they just moan and whisper to themselves. As recent events in Afghanistan have shown, is nearly impossible to help people who don't want to help themselves.

Rea bold move. Rather than get elected to change it for themselves and the next generation they will quit and still receive the same benefits. Real patriots….

It'd be ok if they bitched at their union guys. With enough loud bitching you may get things changed. The problem is that rather than bitching loudly, they just moan and whisper to themselves. As recent events in Afghanistan have shown, is nearly impossible to help people who don't want to help themselves.
The amount of times I've seen people make valid complaints and get slapped down, or had some thinly veiled or implied threats about career advancement made when people mention making a bigger stink tells me this isn't always the case.

You spent the majority of your career at n90 I take it, the reality of how much the faa listens to the union, much less the union to BUEs outside of core 30 facilities is a different reality than yours at a local level, and the threats to your career advancement can seem very real if you have aspirations of getting out of where you are at.

The amount of times I've seen people make valid complaints and get slapped down, or had some thinly veiled or implied threats about career advancement made when people mention making a bigger stink tells me this isn't always the case.

You spent the majority of your career at n90 I take it, the reality of how much the faa listens to the union, much less the union to BUEs outside of core 30 facilities is a different reality than yours at a local level, and the threats to your career advancement can seem very real if you have aspirations of getting out of where you are at.
I’ve only been at my facility for 5 months and I can already tell the FAA/ Union don’t care about low level facilities

Back
Top Bottom