Requesting zny

ZNY is not commutable from outside Long Island. You’re better off going to ZDC you’ll have a shorter commute time. Also, it takes 3 years to get D2 anyways. The training delay is absolutely insane there, do not request it, you will never leave unless you can eventually hardship, and trust me you will want to even if you request it. My advice is go to a center that has good training time and easy airspace, check out in 2 years, then put in for ZNY as a cpc transfer and skip all the training delays.

From jersey to zny you are looking at 3+ hour commute each way on a good day. Nearly impossible.
I misread the original comment. I was like, damn I was just there twice in the last 5 mos to scope out the area and the traffic, while dense, didn't seem THAT bad. But yes no one could commute from Jersey.

ZNY is not commutable from outside Long Island. You’re better off going to ZDC you’ll have a shorter commute time. Also, it takes 3 years to get D2 anyways. The training delay is absolutely insane there, do not request it, you will never leave unless you can eventually hardship, and trust me you will want to even if you request it. My advice is go to a center that has good training time and easy airspace, check out in 2 years, then put in for ZNY as a cpc transfer and skip all the training delays.
Agreed on going somewhere else to checkout faster, however ZNY is not currently taking ERR's because of the training delays. Last ncept there were like 5 ERR's in and they didn't pick up any because they didn't want incoming cpc's to bypass the trainees that have been waiting years for class dates. Also, you get D2 in a matter of weeks there because of the pit.

What did you end up doing?
I requested it, am here now training. Morning commute isn't bad, usually don't hit traffic and can get from Central jersey to the center in 90-100 minutes. Afternoon commute is a different story haha. Usually takes 2.5 to get home.

I requested it, am here now training. Morning commute isn't bad, usually don't hit traffic and can get from Central jersey to the center in 90-100 minutes. Afternoon commute is a different story haha. Usually takes 2.5 to get home.
Ouch. Sounds like you need a workweek crashpad. Will you eventually move up that way or try to hardship out? I'm moving to the area next year, most likely, and am trying to figure out housing options around Westbury. I've heard all the horror stories, but to me it didn't seem like it's awful on long island.

Ouch. Sounds like you need a workweek crashpad. Will you eventually move up that way or try to hardship out? I'm moving to the area next year, most likely, and am trying to figure out housing options around Westbury. I've heard all the horror stories, but to me it didn't seem like it's awful on long island.
I'm going to move as close to NY without leaving jersey so maybe like Linden area or nearby so I can jump on 278 and head to the island. That might chop off about 30 minutes to commute. Down the road who knows what I'll do, but for now just giving all my attention to learning the map and learning everything as quick as possible. Everyone I've met has been great and they seem to want to turn the training department around for the better.

I'm going to move as close to NY without leaving jersey so maybe like Linden area or nearby so I can jump on 278 and head to the island. That might chop off about 30 minutes to commute. Down the road who knows what I'll do, but for now just giving all my attention to learning the map and learning everything as quick as possible. Everyone I've met has been great and they seem to want to turn the training department around for the better.
Bro these monster commutes are impossible when you’re actually working. You realize you are only going to have 8.5 hours off between some shifts right?

Bro these monster commutes are impossible when you’re actually working. You realize you are only going to have 8.5 hours off between some shifts right?
Yea I know it will suck but it is what it is for now. Nothing I can really do about it now so I'm gunna focus on training and making the best of it.

I know several people that commute from near ZNY to NJ, as well as folks that go the other way. All of them have commutes over 2 hours each way, plus gad and tolls. They all pay near $1200 a month in tolls and gas.

That is a lot of money on AG pay, at least one check, even before rent. I highly recommend finding someplace cheap near ZNY, or get roommates, there will be plenty of other trainees in your shoes who need roommates.

Ya no way in hell you are regularly doing a 4 hour commute (on a good day) and being functional on a schedule with any quick turns. Hell I wouldn't want that on a straight days/eves schedule, and I definitely wouldn't want it when I'm trying to train and learn and things aren't automatic yet. I mean imagine even getting 2OT on the back of your swing and having to be back for like a 10 to 6 or something where you are gonna hit all the traffic on the bridges. You'd still have to leave at the ass Crack of dawn and still hit rush hour on the way home on the LIE.

That said I live in an area where anything more than 40 mins commute is pretty horrendous, whereas that's considered pretty good, if not excellent in the tri state area.

Hope OP likes audiobooks and podcasts.

Agreed on going somewhere else to checkout faster, however ZNY is not currently taking ERR's because of the training delays. Last ncept there were like 5 ERR's in and they didn't pick up any because they didn't want incoming cpc's to bypass the trainees that have been waiting years for class dates. Also, you get D2 in a matter of weeks there because of the pit.
But the cpc it's will get checked out in a matter of months vs years if they even cpc

yikers bro, just yikers. you know how horrible it is to be stuck in a car for 4-5 hours a day for your body and mind? you're going to have severe disc herniations, massive fat stores, a BMI of 45, depression, alcholism, you name it. if you have a wife/gf she will leave you for your homie and he will raise your kids. you're ruining yourself for this shitty job? crazy bro

yikers bro, just yikers. you know how horrible it is to be stuck in a car for 4-5 hours a day for your body and mind? you're going to have severe disc herniations, massive fat stores, a BMI of 45, depression, alcholism, you name it. if you have a wife/gf she will leave you for your homie and he will raise your kids. you're ruining yourself for this shitty job? crazy bro
A shorter commute for the long haul is necessary. The FAA will demand way more from you than you'll likely get back, unless you have amazing coping skills. I went from a 50+ min commute to 15 - 20 mins and the difference is immeasurable. And you'll be working 6 days a week once you're deemed essential.

Nice. At what point in the hiring/academy process did you request it? I’m going to request n90 since we want to move back to the area after my husband graduated law school

Back
Top Bottom