Requesting zny

Slumpy1990

I am currently waiting on a class date and am wondering if requesting ZNY is possible when HR contacts me with a class date? My fiance is about to get tenured at a school in New Jersey and wants to stay nearby. From what I read ZNY always needs controllers and not many want to go there because of the training time. Wouldn't be my first choice either, but seems to be a way for me to make her more comfortable with me switching careers and having to turn down a placement if I did pass the academy. Thanks for any insight.

Just be aware, ZNY is a solid 60-90 min drive to the GWB/Verrazano in normal traffic. I live 82 miles from my hometown in northwest Jersey and it has taken me up to 4.5 hours to get there. Average is about 2-2.5 hours and ZNY is further East than I live.

Just be aware, ZNY is a solid 60-90 min drive to the GWB/Verrazano in normal traffic. I live 82 miles from my hometown in northwest Jersey and it has taken me up to 4.5 hours to get there. Average is about 2-2.5 hours and ZNY is further East than I live.
This is very important to consider. I would not recommend trying to commute to ZNY from anywhere in New Jersey.

This is a idea, also consider that ZNY leads all facilities in the nation in releases since the start of the NCEPT era. All of them are hardships, but a transfer is a transfer.

I wanna hardship to ZNY to show them how to ATC .

Slumpy1990 you should def be able to get to Ronkonkooma , just be careful u don't simp so much that she loses respect & leaves u high and dry !

you request it from the placement people when you’re at the academy.

If the placement ladies say no, try to find a contact at ZNY to get you in touch with the training department lead or something.

For context, this was 2021. One of my classmates waited until the day of placement to request ZOA because he was only planning to go if certain facilities dropped off the list. The morning of placement, he was texting back and forth with someone at ZOA. While we were picking, he was told there's no way he could go to ZOA since it wasn't on the list.

He chose something random but requested to delay signing anything. Afterwards, the ladies get a call and magically they have a slot for him and anyone else that wanted to go.

Could have been a one-off like some of the other stories you hear about (e.g. people swapping), but it's worth a shot. I also doubt you could do the same for anywhere else. It's just that no one ever wants to go to ZOA or ZNY which is probably why they were open to doing it.

If the placement ladies say no, try to find a contact at ZNY to get you in touch with the training department lead or something.

One of my classmates waited until the day of placement to request ZOA because he was only planning to go if certain facilities dropped off the list. The morning of placement, he was texting back and forth with someone at ZOA. While we were picking, he was told there's no way he could go to ZOA since it wasn't on the list.

He chose something random but requested to delay signing anything. Afterwards, the ladies get a call and magically they have a slot for him and anyone else that wanted to go.

Could have been a one-off like some of the other stories you hear about (e.g. people swapping), but it's worth a shot. I also doubt you could do the same for anywhere else. It's just that no one ever wants to go to ZOA or ZNY which is probably why they were open to doing it.
Yah for sure declare as soon as possible. Placements change a lot when you’re at the academy. Especially if there’s an ncept in the middle of it

I am currently waiting on a class date and am wondering if requesting ZNY is possible when HR contacts me with a class date? My fiance is about to get tenured at a school in New Jersey and wants to stay nearby. From what I read ZNY always needs controllers and not many want to go there because of the training time. Wouldn't be my first choice either, but seems to be a way for me to make her more comfortable with me switching careers and having to turn down a placement if I did pass the academy. Thanks for any insight.

What did you end up doing?

Are you going to drive your helicopter to work

Back
Top Bottom