Ridiculous Hardships

Should say college as it's current offering is watered down with unnecessary general education and pointed political agendas instead of providing skillsets in critical thinking and the ability to form an opinion.
Idk where you went to school but I never had problems with instructors or professors being overtly political outside of political science classes. I took classes at 3 different community colleges and a mainline state school. I also don’t mind general education, but I’d agree that those units shouldn’t cost what your major stuff does. It doesn’t cost as much to pay a grad student or instructor to teach 100-200 level stuff as it does a professor to teach the upper division. I actually think that lower division shit should just be online when it’s possible to reduce costs further.

Idk where you went to school but I never had problems with instructors or professors being overtly political outside of political science classes. I took classes at 3 different community colleges and a mainline state school. I also don’t mind general education, but I’d agree that those units shouldn’t cost what your major stuff does. It doesn’t cost as much to pay a grad student or instructor to teach 100-200 level stuff as it does a professor to teach the upper division. I actually think that lower division shit should just be online when it’s possible to reduce costs further.
The most political professors I ever had were huge republicans.

but when basic rights like health care and equality are painted as liberal I can see where some would get confused

Most professors, at least where I went, teach different courses over different levels throughout a semester/year. Where costs should be cut is books. there shouldn't be any reason books cost what they do when they are usually no good after more than a year with all of the new editions they come out with, not to mention the professors that publish their own books that then require their students to either have as a secondary material or main requirement. Most books have electronic versions which also don't cost as much but still are exorbitant prices. All that said, I could have gotten through a majority of my courses without even having the textbook due to how much the professors provide without even requiring the use of the textbook.

I think it would be beneficial for students, obviously not the schools, if they charged tuition fees based on your major. That would be hard to institute for students who change majors, which I believe the average student changes majors twice throughout their time in school.

Most professors, at least where I went, teach different courses over different levels throughout a semester/year. Where costs should be cut is books. there shouldn't be any reason books cost what they do when they are usually no good after more than a year with all of the new editions they come out with, not to mention the professors that publish their own books that then require their students to either have as a secondary material or main requirement. Most books have electronic versions which also don't cost as much but still are exorbitant prices. All that said, I could have gotten through a majority of my courses without even having the textbook due to how much the professors provide without even requiring the use of the textbook.

I think it would be beneficial for students, obviously not the schools, if they charged tuition fees based on your major. That would be hard to institute for students who change majors, which I believe the average student changes majors twice throughout their time in school.
Just index federal funding and tuition together. If you want fed funds you can’t charge more than this. Easy peasy.

Partisan politics in higher education is heavy on both sides influencing students. The U.S. is also one of the most heaviest in terms of general education compared against foreign countries, yet we're also the less capable...general education should be limited to high school, at least halved in college.

Just index federal funding and tuition together. If you want fed funds you can’t charge more than this. Easy peasy.
Maybe that could help get rid of those shitty for profit schools too. Not that they are usually very expensive but the quality of them is often not up to par.

Maybe that could help get rid of those shitty for profit schools too. Not that they are usually very expensive but the quality of them is often not up to par.
Rich nuts can still send their kids to wherever if they want. But community college is able to do it cheap. Those same classes are taught in 4 years for multiples more. I started at a community college and one professor taught there and at local UC school too. Same class different price.

Rich nuts can still send their kids to wherever if they want. But community college is able to do it cheap. Those same classes are taught in 4 years for multiples more. I started at a community college and one professor taught there and at local UC school too. Same class different price.
same. Most of my CC instructors also taught at nearby CSUs and UCs

Should say college as it's current offering is watered down with unnecessary general education and pointed political agendas instead of providing skillsets in critical thinking and the ability to form an opinion.
I don’t understand where the “political agendas” come from. Do people really think that biology professors are just randomly throwing in liberal ideology into the lesson plan?

In my four years at a university the only political teacher I had was in my gen ed American Government course and he was a full blown conservative lol.

Yea, adjuncts are usually pretty cool to have as professors because they don't give as much a damn. Sometimes, though, that isn't a good thing and you'll have someone like my calc professor who was an adjunct and "didn't have time for office hours" but you could pay for her to tutor you which was a job she did outside of teaching at two universities.

The most political professors I ever had were huge republicans.

but when basic rights like health care and equality are painted as liberal I can see where some would get confused

health care is not a basic right. Not in the constitution and not in most countries around the world. If Americans ate healthier, there is no way our health care system would be this large.

I don’t understand where the “political agendas” come from. Do people really think that biology professors are just randomly throwing in liberal ideology into the lesson plan?

In my four years at a university the only political teacher I had was in my gen ed American Government course and he was a full blown conservative lol.

That's cool.

health care is not a basic right. Not in the constitution and not in most countries around the world. If Americans ate healthier, there is no way our health care system would be this large.

I disagree. The constitution says the government is to provide for the general welfare, that's inclusive of health, shit I think it's unconstitutional that we pay for water and electricity.

I disagree. The constitution says the government is to provide for the general welfare, that's inclusive of health, shit I think it's unconstitutional that we pay for water and electricity.
I’d be down for health care to be covered by my taxes but I would say if anyone chooses to eat junk food daily or smoke, should not be covered. Most people who go to the doctors regularly are the ones who have health issues which are related to daily choices. There are times when genetics plays a role, but I’d say it’s a lot more dependent on personal choices.

I’d be down for health care to be covered by my taxes but I would say if anyone chooses to eat junk food daily or smoke, should not be covered. Most people who go to the doctors regularly are the ones who have health issues which are related to daily choices. There are times when genetics plays a role, but I’d say it’s a lot more dependent on personal choices.

I can feel that but there isn't a really discernable manner to address that, similar to the taxes we pay for Joe-Bob to go to jail for the 27th time for beating his wife.

That's cool.

That’s also cool.

That’s also cool.

From the editorial you posted which literally supports the concept of an overly liberalized educational system which at times practices prejudice against non-conforming individuals and admits that there is political recruitment occuring.

"Conservative scholars also complained that some journals seemed to reject views that were inconsistent with liberal thinking."

"Some complained of discrimination based on politics, but not of careers being ended."

"Whereas some disciplines, such as political science, often shun partisan advocacy, many fields, including sociology, ethnic studies and social work, openly advocate a distinct ideological worldview. If these and similar studies are correct, it suggests that student beliefs are surprisingly resilient. For every one student who is actively recruited to a leftist political cause, a vast majority complete their education with their values largely intact."

"Right-wing religious fundamentalists,” one committee member said of the college, while another said, to much laughter, that the college was “supported by the Koch brothers.” The committee then spent more time discussing details of the applicant's GRE scores and background -- high GRE scores, homeschooled -- than it did with some other candidates. The chair of the committee said, “I would like to beat that college out of her,” and, to laughter from committee members, asked, “You don't think she's a nutcase?”

"The study found a ration of 11.5 Democrats for every Republican in these departments, but with wide variation. In economics, the ratio was 4.5 to one, while in history the ratio was 33.5 to one."

"Faculty members were more likely to categorize themselves as moderate (46.1 percent) than liberal (44.1 percent). Conservatives trailed at 9.2 percent."

So yeah that's cool.

The concept that a bias doesn't produce influence is hilarious, it's literally the influencer of our Supreme Court, yet when people are confronted with it in education apparently it magically disappears.

Back
Top Bottom