Schedules

If you people who aren't even at your facility yet this worried about BREAKS ... I would place more effort on your Plan B when you wash out because this is the last thing your facility wants to hear/see out of you. Your priorities are definitely fucked up if this is what you are thinking about.
But I want to buy a house before I check out an hour from work then sleep at work....today's youth

But I want to buy a house before I check out
I don't think I've ever met a controller who seriously had an issue with someone buying a house during training. We've all heard that it's a terrible idea, but most people buying a house generally aren't in danger of washing out and are aware enough to know whether they'll be staying long enough to make it worth it.

I don't think I've ever met a controller who seriously had an issue with someone buying a house during training. We've all heard that it's a terrible idea, but most people buying a house generally aren't in danger of washing out and are aware enough to know whether they'll be staying long enough to make it worth it.
I have seen two in my career by a house then wash. I have been at 3 facilities prior to the FAA and I think I may see a 4th here....

I have seen two in my career by a house then wash. I have been at 3 facilities prior to the FAA and I think I may see a 4th here....
What's the stigma though? Houses get bought and sold everyday... I think it's crazy to feel the need to indirectly show subservience to training by feeling forced to rent all in the name of not offending a trainer. Shoot, even if you take a $15-20k bath on a house in a year, financially you've come out just about the same as renting. Don't get me wrong you still have a job to do, and your job is to certify, and "having a house" is no leg to stand on if you can't cut it and washing comes into play. I'm not gonna fault someone for trying to make a sound financial decision, training or not. Where or how they live is nobody's business but theirs, and if you fault them professionally for it then I feel like one would have to have a pretty serious case of insecurity/small man syndrome.

"Well, your ATC skills are on point but I think you're a little arrogant for buying a house. TRB for you!". C'mon, man.

Some places it makes more sense to buy then rent. My mortgage is only a little over a $1k more than my rent was but my house is about 6x the size and 100% better quality than my tiny 500 sqft 2 bedroom apartment for $2k a month.

But if them buying a house factored into the trainers (CPCs/FLMs) deciding not to certify them, that is a huge red flag on those trainers.
How many people have you seen buy a house during training and then certify? I'm guessing it's more than 2.

But if them buying a house factored into the trainers (CPCs/FLMs) deciding not to certify them, that is a huge red flag on those trainers.
How many people have you seen buy a house during training and then certify? I'm guessing it's more than 2.
This. It's like saying "oh I saw a guy eating chocolate ice cream then the next day he washed... Therefore eating chocolate ice cream makes you more likely to wash out"

Hey hey hey pump the brakes killers....I wasn't knocking a guy for buying the house I was talkin shit bc he was saying he can't buy one 45 min away from work bc the nap thing. I can care less if a trainee buys a house, sleeps in a box below a bridge blowing dudes for quarters part time or rents a mansion. Doing the job well enough to certify is all that matters to me. I was simply stating what I have seen from past experiences. To imply a trainer would have a biased opinion based on my comment is a stretch. Did I ever say a trainee buying a house was a bad thing? No I replied to stinger saying most people who buy a house generally aren't in danger of washing. And for the last comment if you eat chocolate ice cream that's doesn't mean you will wash but you probably will get a lumpy ass

Like others have said, it's not necessarily the buying the house in and of itself -- it's the attitude of some people that goes with it. People buy new cars/houses/worry about getting weekends off based on their CPC pay and getting checked out long before it's known that they will get checked out. Yes at some point it becomes a matter of when, not if. For the others, maybe they had a rich uncle die but when someone is walking around like they're untouchable but priorities in the wrong place and NOT the strongest controller... yeah... you can say that's fucked up all you want but it is what it is. You'll see. It is a little satisfying to see them humbled, it's just too bad that it happened when they washed. I've seen a couple as well.

Still--the people not even at a facility yet that are putting this much thought into breaks and schedule...you will be much better off if you adjust your priorities before people who matter force you to. I know you think you're hot shit and different and better and that's fine but right or wrong, people's perception of you is at least 50% of it. If someone is REALLY that good then great. But most newbies can't afford to be that arrogant. Not saying they'll TRB you for caring about your days off but you can choose to make things easier for yourself or a lot harder.
Agree... To most... Perception is everything and perception is reality... Especially for people in scrutinizable positions i.e. Dev/cpc-IT ... I guess I'm assuming that person is doing the best they can... Not having the entitled/carefree attitude you speak of ^^^ . Agree that you should pick your battles. If you come in day one asking about RDOs, checkout time to err out, etc... It's not a good look on you...

Meh, I don't see anything wrong with trying to see what kind of different schedules they can expect or what work will be like. Some of y'all are taking this way too seriously.

If you people who aren't even at your facility yet this worried about BREAKS ... I would place more effort on your Plan B when you wash out because this is the last thing your facility wants to hear/see out of you. Your priorities are definitely fucked up if this is what you are thinking about.
After reading this I am going to live my life based on what Vectorwagon says I should be concerned with... Eat a dick. More of a, sleep in my vehicle before that mid turn, than a where can I nap on a break. All the same, I will decide upon what my priorities are and those are not yours to judge, as long as I can separate airplanes.

And are there any rules saying no camper vans in the parking lot???
This was your comment in response to @Stinger saying take a 2 hour nap at work when YOU questioned how people deal with the 8 hour turn around. Try to remember how the conversation was started before you starting telling people to chew on coohhhhccckkkssss. I will say (because this is a discussion forum and the whole reason this exists is to share information not get your feelings hurt when someone recommends not being a piece of shit off the bat), you make the schedule work because that's what your compensated to do. If you are getting upset over some people telling you not to worry about it and just focus on training you are in for some shit soon if you get to a facility. I am prior military, then went DoD before the FAA so I can tell you from my experience that you are bottom of seniority and what you did prior to the FAA doesn't mean much. On paper you have a few ratings but until you can show that your controlling experience is worth something, meaning you know what your doing with FAA traffic, its not really worth anything. There are a ton of military controllers that are garbage because they cant adapt to work different traffic but yet they feel entitled.

Getting back on topic, we run:

Mon - 1530-2330
Tues - 1330-2130
Wed - 800-1600
Thurs - 600-1400
Thurs - 2300-700

For breaks you are given a be back time, but you are expected to be recallable at any moment due to traffic volume/emergencies. Although of course 99% of your breaks you won't be paged back early.

This was your comment in response to @Stinger saying take a 2 hour nap at work when YOU questioned how people deal with the 8 hour turn around. Try to remember how the conversation was started before you starting telling people to chew on coohhhhccckkkssss. I will say (because this is a discussion forum and the whole reason this exists is to share information not get your feelings hurt when someone recommends not being a piece of shit off the bat), you make the schedule work because that's what your compensated to do. If you are getting upset over some people telling you not to worry about it and just focus on training you are in for some shit soon if you get to a facility. I am prior military, then went DoD before the FAA so I can tell you from my experience that you are bottom of seniority and what you did prior to the FAA doesn't mean much. On paper you have a few ratings but until you can show that your controlling experience is worth something, meaning you know what your doing with FAA traffic, its not really worth anything. There are a ton of military controllers that are garbage because they cant adapt to work different traffic but yet they feel entitled.

No point did I ever ask about naps on breaks... I invite you to reread my post. I was talking sleeping in the car during the turn to the midshift. That has everything to do with the part were for 4 years I've had a TOL that says ZOA. An hour away is how far a family would have to be to afford anything prior to CPCing.

So does this mean its an FAA wide rule??? This will ruin my planning on living around 45 mins from a facility.
You are delusional. The guy said go to work and take a two hour nap and you started talking about sleeping in your car and if it's FAA wide that you shouldn't do it. Hell man take a cot in the first day and ask where you should set it up for all I care

Open 6am to 11pm:

Our facility doesn't rattle. The rep creates "straight lines" for people to work. I.E. opening a 6am everyday for the week. Unfortunately, the people at the tail end of the schedule get put on a rattler to fill the holes in the schedule.

Schedule seems awesome upfront, then you realize people with 6 month more seniority than you get to work the "perfect" schedule while you're gettin' the D. It's especially frustrating for people when they want to open, but everyone on the high end of seniority get to bid out the opener lines first.

Small facility woes.

I believe I read this on this form or elsewhere on the site, but is it true (for the majority of facilities) that AG's work within certain hours (8a-8p) when training until they are certified? Can anyone shed some light into the trainee schedule?

Back
Top Bottom