Schedules

The only difference at my facility between trainees and CPC schedule is that trainees don't work midnight shifts. They also typically don't work the latest shifts (1430, 1500, 1600) until they are certified on enough to be able to do something other than data then. Likewise they don't work the two earliest shifts (0530, 0545). Beyond that they work shifts beginning any time between 0615 and 1315.

Some places are smart and have their trainees line up with their trainers and/or work shifts with busy traffic. Others, hypothetically like mine, will assign you trainers on the opposite shift and then wonder why you're not getting any training time. Or make your RDO's during week days so you waste 2 days at work with light traffic on the weekend.

Some places are smart and have their trainees line up with their trainers and/or work shifts with busy traffic. Others, hypothetically like mine, will assign you trainers on the opposite shift and then wonder why you're not getting any training time. Or make your RDO's during week days so you waste 2 days at work with light traffic on the weekend.
Our devs work 1-9 then a 9 10 or 11 usually for the three middle days, and end on a 7 for the majority of traffic. Some weekends are better for traffic at a regional airports. Especially for us during horse sales or football or basketball games at home mixed with much more GA.

Our devs work 1-9 then a 9 10 or 11 usually for the three middle days, and end on a 7 for the majority of traffic. Some weekends are better for traffic at a regional airports. Especially for us during horse sales or football or basketball games at home mixed with much more GA.

This is how my schedule is 1 1 9 7 7

That 1436 shift is blowing my mind. Why not just have your mid start at 2200?
Or have 1430-2230 with the mid starting at 2215?
We can flex to 2215 coming in for the mid, but since we don’t have to be there until 2230, the afternoon shift is scheduled for an overlap just in case.

CPC @ BGM here... Let me know if you have any questions... We are a great young facility with amazing work environment (hr on, hr off, minimums) extremely fast checkout (a little over a year avg for both twr and rdr) and are decently staffed to accommodate releases. Insanely cheap cost of living. Everything you could want from a first facility. Come on in, the water's fine...

Is the hr on, hr off unique there or is that typical at most facilities?

Is the hr on, hr off unique there or is that typical at most facilities?
Depends on the day. I've done hour on/hour off at both level 7 and level 9 up/downs pretty consistently. There's also stretches that last a few days where it's like 90-120 minutes on/30 minutes off. Just depends how much training is being accomplished and if people are being used in the correct spots. Hour on/2-hour off occasionally when there's no one flying or a weather day.

I can't stand being off position for an hour. Makes my day feel too long. I check in like 15 minutes after I get off position and sometimes beg for work.

I can't stand being off position for an hour. Makes my day feel too long. I check in like 15 minutes after I get off position and sometimes beg for work.
I put myself on "other duties" or "off-site training" in ART and go flying for a bit. Taken other controllers up with me as well to show them the pilot's perspective and what goes on in an airplane.

I put myself on "other duties" or "off-site training" in ART and go flying for a bit. Taken other controllers up with me as well to show them the pilot's perspective and what goes on in an airplane.
That's certainly better than the soap operas in the break room.

Wow I thought that would be my dream schedule but you guys make it sound sucky. Guess it probably would get boring after a while.

Wow I thought that would be my dream schedule but you guys make it sound sucky. Guess it probably would get boring after a while.
my ideal day would be 1.5 hours on, 20-30 off and rotating through all positions. although some days when I don't even go up to the tower and I get 4 radar sessions, (preferably no trainees) it feels like my day flies by. exact opposite when you get hit with nothing but LC or GC all day.

It really depends on where you're at, what's around you, and how strict your facility is on people leaving the facility during breaks.
Most all facilities will at least have a break room with a TV and a few computers. Some facilities have a weight room, music room (guitars, keyboard, etc.), pool table, ping pong table, basketball hoop, golf course/driving range across the street, etc.
When you start getting into the real country club facilities, you can go home on breaks, work out breaks with your co-workers so you can go have dinner with your family, go to kids sporting events, etc.
In large part, how long your breaks are and what you can do on them goes a long way in determining your overall happiness at work.

Sounds to me you've only been at country club facilities... Where I am now has ping pong and pool table in the ability to go outside but my previous facility it was the break room with one TV and that was it. We were excited when we got a cornhole set. Definitely no music room Or going home on break.

Back
Top Bottom